Why become a member? ×

Charging For A Fully Equipped Rehearsal/Writing Space.

binky_bass

I'm debating (very much unsure of going past the 'debate' stage) of renting out my rehearsal space for the occasional weekend band that might want a full 2 days practice or to spend some time writing. 

I have no idea what a 'fair price' would be for a full weekend session including use of pro gear. (Say 9am - 6pm Sat and Sun).

The space is 40sqm and has a tiny kitchenette, a loo and shower, a lounge area, a small gym, an office area with Cubase for recording, full WiFi, a substantial drum kit, plenty of amps, effects pedals, mics and stands, a PA system, and a selection of excellent instruments (ACG, Conklin, Fender, Musicman, Reiver, PRS, etc). 

Your band could simply rock up and get going, there's nothing I can think you'd need to actually bring. 

Any thoughts as to whether there'd be a market for any bands to hire such a space, and what do you think would be a fair weekend rate given the equipment that'd be available to use?

20230311_145512.thumb.jpg.5281846d3640cec8e3d533e8fdd6cc95.jpg

20221003_071851.thumb.jpg.54dbab8e98b05b25c7496401a99ea1ff.jpg

20230218_164727.thumb.jpg.19b633cf251148f5fe95a617519d4c1e.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

Unless you are absolutely desperate for the additional income, I wouldn't even consider it. For me the whole point of having my own purpose built music space is that it available to use any time inspiration (or just the urge to play some music) strikes. I turn up. Switch on the gear I want to use and I'm ready to play/compose/record.

On of the bands I'm in used have a permanent rehearsal space that we rented to use 24/7 and then sub-let the evenings that we didn't need to other bands that we knew reasonably well. That still didn't prevent members of the other bands abusing the equipment in there. Even something as simple as rewiring the mixer and rack effects and then forgetting (or not bothering) to put everything back how it was before could add and additional 30 minutes to the set up time, that could have been more productively used by us.

Edited by BigRedX

That looks super luxurious binky-bass.

Our studios charge the following:

Rehearsal - £15.50 per hour

Full day recording - £350

Half day recording - £200

Per hour recording - £40

The recording price includes an engineer for 10hrs and 5 hrs respectively.

I hop this helps.