Why become a member? ×

Meanwhile, countless other kids are playing video games all day!

jd56hawk

I think kids have to just pick something up if they fancy it, I don't know anyone who has successfully "nudged" their kids into a particular instrument long term.. If there's a variety of instruments knocking around the house they'll obviously have a play with them, I think you have to let nature take its course.. 

There’s also an inevitability that offspring will choose something a parent does play. There seems to be a number of bass players who are sons ( & probably daughters but I can’t think of any off the top of my head) of guitar players, pianists and saxophonists. These would include Travis Carlton, Kyle Eastwood and Alec Dankworth to name but a few.

She's great! I love the enthusiasm. It's nice to have parents with a studio and instruments laying around. My Dad sang, but he picked up a Roberts reel-to reel (with Sound-On-Sound!) that he recorded his choral groups with, and I had that to screw around with. When I asked for a guitar, I got one. BUT YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE LESSONS. "OK."

When I decided I wanted to play bass (heehee), we traded in the guitar, and I got a bass. BUT YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE LESSONS.

I have my parents to thank for a lifetime of enjoyment.

• Like 2