Why become a member? ×

Squier CV 50s bass (tele shaped headstock) opinions please

police squad

Having decided to retire from being 'Sting' in any tributes, I sold my 'Police' basses to stop me doing it again

But you know what it's like. I had dinner with my last 'Andy Summers' (we're very good friends) the other evening and we decided to do a few gigs again.

I'm not prepared to spend the thousands that I did previously but if they're any good, I would consider a s/h classic vibe

Thoughts please lovely people

22 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You can't stop being Sting surely, that'd just be wrong! 😁

lol, I've decided a new approach. No more trying to jump up and down, or matching basses with outfits. Just the songs and maybe a few other covers in the set

I trust you're well mate

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, police squad said:

lol, I've decided a new approach. No more trying to jump up and down, or matching basses with outfits. Just the songs and maybe a few other covers in the set

I trust you're well mate

Yep all good thanks Mart 👍

Glad you're still going to be doing it, let's face it you ARE Sting! 😁

• Haha 1

I got a similar Sire D5 and it has  an alder body . The Squier has a pine body. Don't know what difference it makes in the sound. The tone is unlike a regular Precision. The machines are ok on this Sire and the price is a tad more than the Squier. If I were Sting I would buy several D5 basses.

DSCN3831.JPG

• Like 1

I have a CV 50's. It's decent enough, I did stick some flats on it for my taste. Holds tuning well, fretwork is ok.

The pickup is a little bit hotter and more trebly than the MIJ Fender 50 I once had, but you can dial it off a bit with the knobs :) Like all the 50's basses I have tried it's a little uneven in sound over the neck to my ears and the only complaint I have about them. Think I got mine for under €300 new.

• Like 1

I've got two. I think they're superb instruments, I used to own a yellow MIJ version and I don't notice mych difference when I play them. If anything the Squiers are more comfortable.

I bought the white one with the intention of modifying it into a Chris Squire tribute but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to carve it up 😄

The natural model is about 10 years old and has a slightly wider neck - the current version is a bit comfier for me.

The only possible downside is the weight - mine are both 10lb, but that's not an issue for me.

20230115_152835.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've got two. I think they're superb instruments, I used to own a yellow MIJ version and I don't notice mych difference when I play them. If anything the Squiers are more comfortable.

I bought the white one with the intention of modifying it into a Chris Squire tribute but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to carve it up 😄

The natural model is about 10 years old and has a slightly wider neck - the current version is a bit comfier for me.

The only possible downside is the weight - mine are both 10lb, but that's not an issue for me.

20230115_152835.jpg

shouldn't be too bad, but I wont know till I try it on a gig.

bad back atm though, so it coudnt happen right now.

That natural one looks nice though

On 11/03/2023 at 22:14, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I echo this. Had one the same as Cosmo’s bass on the right briefly in a trade. Sounded really good but was just too damn heavy for me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I don't find mine unduly heavy. I love the broom handle neck, and the finish is lovely. I initially pepped mine up with a Retrovibe pickup, and then went mad and shoehorned a mudbucker.

I've just got both of mine back from a setup and the larger neck on the natural is perfectly playable now.

It's got the original pickup back in it as well.

Let's see some pics of yours then 😁

• Like 1