Why become a member? ×

Which Power Supply?

StingRayBoy42

Hi all 
I'm returning to the wonderful world of owning pedals, so I need a power supply.

I'd like about eight 9V outputs, one 12V output, a kettle lead power input and something small enough to mount under my pedaltrain classic JR.
I'm prepared to compromise on the 12V and kettle lead.

Which one do you use?
Which ones should I avoid?
Are the Harley Benton ones any good?

I used to use a really old Cioks, but they seem to be silly money now.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by StingRayBoy42

I use a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic; not the cheapest but very reliable, solid as a rock, has no impact on tone or function of pedals, creates no interference or anything like that.  They can be had for about a hundred pounds new, and supply 1.5a of current, so you can run plenty of pedals simultaneously without sucking it dry.

• Thanks 1

I'm into nice PCs, and one of the maxims there is to not skimp on the power supply.

I've had great unit from Harley Benton, Strymon and Cioks, with my Helix board currently using a DC7 and the Sansamp board currently on an Adam. Both are excellent.

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2023 at 18:47, fleabag said:

Looks good - have you used one?

I dont have the above but i have the Vitoos ISO 8 which is almost identical , it's just that when i searched for Vitoos for this thread, i couldn't find one.  I 've had mine for a few years when you could buy them most places, but where are they now, i have no idea.

The one above in the link has 2 more sockets than my Vitoos, so a bargain

1368637487_FXBOARD.thumb.jpg.9c0db0503c726d9316490caa653726c4.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I dont have the above but i have the Vitoos ISO 8 which is identical , it's just that when i searched for Vitoos for this thread, i couldn't find one.  I 've had mine for a few years when you could buy them most places, but where are they now, i have no idea

Great stuff, thanks.

There's a couple on ebay for a very decent price, so I'll probably be buying one soon.

I'll report back!

Thanks for all the input, folks

On 07/03/2023 at 15:34, lidl e said:

I use this fella. It has everything i need and a USB port for my midi adapter. 

Works a treat. No issues so far.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_10ac_pro.htm

Also has the best feature set of any one i checked out in terms of flexibility. 

Another +1 for the HB Iso Pros. Compact and good value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 13:14, fleabag said:

I dont have the above but i have the Vitoos ISO 8 which is almost identical , it's just that when i searched for Vitoos for this thread, i couldn't find one.  I 've had mine for a few years when you could buy them most places, but where are they now, i have no idea.

The one above in the link has 2 more sockets than my Vitoos, so a bargain

1368637487_FXBOARD.thumb.jpg.9c0db0503c726d9316490caa653726c4.jpg

I have one of these, works great. The switchable two 8/12/18v outputs are very handy. I also have the HB Powerplant and Powerplant Junior, both very good.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've just added a Voodoo Labs 4x4 to my board and I'm really impressed with it! Having 4 9v 100ma and 4 9v 400ma outputs just futureproofs me against any impulse pedal purchases, plus you have the option of using two of those 9v outs as 12v instead. 

Thanks folks.

I ended up getting a decent price on a used Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 from ebay so I went for that.

Gotta say, the Harley Benton stuff looks amazing, is decently priced and no-one has a bad word to say about it... I've no doubt it's the business.

• Like 1

Also have a Harley Benton iso pro (non AC version) and I've had very little issues with it. Only problem has been with a zoom ms60b that was very noisy with it. Seemed to be a known issue with zoom pedals being funny with power supplies. Anyways sorted it with a little Palmer power conditioner that sits under the board alongside the power supply and it has been silent ever since

• 1 month later...

Zombie thread alert!

I bought a Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-5 Pro for my small pedalboard and it is a fantastic piece of kit.

Completely silent, so small it fits under a Pedaltrain Nano, five outputs (two are switchable for 9/12/18 volts), tons of milliamps ... all for £42.

Superb.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_5_pro.htm

• Like 1