Why become a member? ×

Bass Techs in London

Undertone

Would folks recommend some highly competent and tasteful bass techs in London please?  If they're really special then I can deal with their being a little outside London.

Mainly for set-ups, fret-dress, side LED repair etc., also the odd part replacement, on '63-'64 Precisions & Jazzes and an Alembic Europa 5.

I ignorantly went to a couple in Denmark St. when I arrived in the UK 14yrs ago and was very disappointed. Same with another prominent one in Camden who weren't bad but were so busy they didn't devote appropriate time/effort to the task.  PM is fine if there's any sensitivity around naming folks in this forum.

Thanks

I've had similarly disappointing experiences at the Bass Gallery, and at Charlie Chandler's too (pickups wired in the wrong way round and the bass came back covered in sweaty finger marks after the teen behind the counter told me that it 'played really nicely'...).

I use Andrew at Richmond Guitar Workshop; he's done cavity shielding, pickup and preamp installs and setups on various basses and the work has always been top notch (he used to work at Charlie Chandler's in Kew before it closed).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

I've had similarly disappointing experiences at the Bass Gallery, and at Charlie Chandler's too (pickups wired in the wrong way round and the bass came back covered in sweaty finger marks after the teen behind the counter told me that it 'played really nicely'...).

I've had pretty good luck with both of those places (though only used the Bass Gallery once for a setup, nothing too taxing).

But had the opposite experience to you with Charlie Chandler (almost literally...) - brought a bass in for something (it was a poorly put together 2nd hand one of some sort), he realised that the pickups were wired out of phase, and re-wired it for me. Sounded so much better after that fix, never noticed what was missing before.

I guess a problem with anywhere that employs more than one person is that you never know who's going to be doing the actual work (e.g. the "master" who started the business, or some employees that are either still learning, or have variable work quality).

I've definitely had more luck with one-person operations.

1 hour ago, TKenrick said:

I use Andrew at Richmond Guitar Workshop; he's done cavity shielding, pickup and preamp installs and setups on various basses and the work has always been top notch (he used to work at Charlie Chandler's in Kew before it closed).

+1 For Richmond Guitar Workshop - they installed an East J-Tone in my Overwater Jazz in 2019 and did a great job.