Why become a member? ×

New Tuners Day - gone wonky

iBudd

I just picked up a set of Hipshot HB7s to upgrade an old Fender Jazz that has one slightly bent machine head - measured multiple times to ensure they were the right tuners, supposedly a drop-in replacement. Of course, now they've arrived it's clear that the holes don't - quite - match up. The two on the small side are perfect but the other two are a fraction off. Swapping out the old bushings to the new Hipshot ones makes negligible difference (although without the bushings in I can sort of finesse the hole line-up to the point where the deviation for each hole is minuscule, but what help is that?).

My question is, since I can see some of the hole, should I just brute force these?? The temptation to do so is enormous. Filling and re drilling is exactly what I'd hoped to avoid by sourcing the (quite expensive) Hipshots.

Tips, tricks, advice, cautionary tales and horror stories all gratefully received.

P2214341.thumb.jpg.f3de28c794b4f72af01ce96679719020.jpg

You're in the situation you're in now.  Suck it up and fill/redrill the holes you need to.  You've spent all this money on new tuners - don't halfass it because you're feeling a bit aggrieved.  The screws will go in at a weird angle and will look like you halfassed it.

At least you only have to do half the holes?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You're in the situation you're in now.  Suck it up and fill/redrill the holes you need to.  You've spent all this money on new tuners - don't halfass it because you're feeling a bit aggrieved.  The screws will go in at a weird angle and will look like you halfassed it.

At least you only have to do half the holes?

True that - though I'm slightly off-put by the idea of filling and then re-drilling on almost exactly the same spot. What does one fill with that doesn't then immediately tear out when you drill?

The Hipshots were also expensive. If I'm redrilling anyway I might be more tempted to send em back and pick up something more realistically priced that needs four new clean holes and no messing about.

^ cocktail sticks... check depth glue em in, just below the surface... attach the machine heads with the holes that align...

Use electrical tape across the machine head to avoid scratches, and drill thru the machine head holes to try and stop the drill wandering... i would use an old style had drill for 'feel' and less likely to snap the little drill bit in the wood... Some dry bar soap or candle wax on the little screws to lube the threads....

• Like 5

+4 for cocktail sticks, I even surprised myself at how accurate I managed to install new tuners on a guitar a while back using this method. I trimmed the sticks after the glue had set with a Stanley knife flat to the wood. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ cocktail sticks... check depth glue em in, just below the surface... attach the machine heads with the holes that align...

Use electrical tape across the machine head to avoid scratches, and drill thru the machine head holes to try and stop the drill wandering... i would use an old style had drill for 'feel' and less likely to snap the little drill bit in the wood... Some dry bar soap or candle wax on the little screws to lube the threads....

this is beautifully concise btw, thanks man.

• Thanks 1