Why become a member? ×

GK Fusion S line

simonbrown92

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Every pub gig I ever played with a 410 was with very little band allocated real estate. Extremely hard to hear what note you're playing so always playing too loud. I would never pay good money for one.

I've always used 4x10s and never had any issue hearing myself or controlling volume... Including cramped pubs and festival stages. My own experience is that a decent 4x10 works anywhere. 

Personally I would take the plunge... GK make brilliant gear. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, discojoe said:

I've always used 4x10s and never had any issue hearing myself or controlling volume... Including cramped pubs and festival stages. My own experience is that a decent 4x10 works anywhere. 

Same, and have had all sorts of them, high-end, budget, all worked fine, never any problems, aside from accepting that I’m no longer able to cart them about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, simonbrown92 said:

Looking for a new set up and veering towards the GK fusion S 1200 with the new 4x10 neo IV cab. Has anyone ever tried these out? Quite pricey and I’ve not seen any pop up second hand so ideally like to get as many opinions as possible before taking the plunge

Cheers 🤙

Check out Polar on EBay as they often discount GK gear 

I purchased a Legacy 800 new for £500 approx where Andertons had them for £800+ 

* update I’ve looked and none for sale 

I found the Legacy a very mid forward modern sounding amp which I struggled to get a warm vintage tone for rock, in the end I went back to Ashdown 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Thanks 1

I've got a Fusion S 1200, running into a Barefaced Big Twin II. It's a great head, very loud, with loads of different sounds available if you're willing to do a deep dive into the controls.

That's the only downside really, the controls are complicated and not very intuitive. Basically, every knob on the front of the amp serves two purposes and you switch between them by pushing the knob in. I think I'd rather have had a fussier front panel with more knobs if it meant you didn't have to muck about with the dual-function thing. 

Edited by Russ
  • Thanks 1

Ah sick cheers man, I had considered a barefaced as well, been eyeing up a super twelve on here as an alternative to the GK neo IV cab. The controls do look a bit of a chew on with that dual function thing but I guess it’s just an initial set up thing Innit. I tend to just stick with the one bass when I’m gigging so wouldn’t have to change much from venue to venue etc. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I've got the fusion s 1200 which I use with my Vanderkley 2x12. It's devastatingly loud should you wish it to be so. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, the amp is a monster.

Sick cheers man. Sounding more and more like a solid purchase, just wanna make sure I compliment it with a good cab that’s gonna get the most out of that GK growl. What’s your thoughts on Vanderkley? What type of music do you play and what tone etc? Seen a few for sale on here, they look pretty cool but never played one. 

5 minutes ago, simonbrown92 said:

Sick cheers man. Sounding more and more like a solid purchase, just wanna make sure I compliment it with a good cab that’s gonna get the most out of that GK growl. What’s your thoughts on Vanderkley? What type of music do you play and what tone etc? Seen a few for sale on here, they look pretty cool but never played one. 

I use the Vanderkley 2x12 in the diagonal configuration. It's very clear and articulate. For the most part I play progressive metal. With one band I play a Wal in drop D. Think Justin Chancellor. In another I play a Rick in C# standard with a more biamp setting through a Tech21 Dug pedal. I have other basses like Alembics and it just works. Really well. Plenty of crispness and cut if you want it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wolverinebass said:

I use the Vanderkley 2x12 in the diagonal configuration. It's very clear and articulate. For the most part I play progressive metal. With one band I play a Wal in drop D. Think Justin Chancellor. In another I play a Rick in C# standard with a more biamp setting through a Tech21 Dug pedal. I have other basses like Alembics and it just works. Really well. Plenty of crispness and cut if you want it.

Nice nice, deffo gonna keep an eye out for any of them that crop up on marketplace then, I play in a rock band a full step down and I’ve got a Markbass CMD103h atm, bought it just for home use then joined a band and it’s just not cut out for my needs 

40 minutes ago, la bam said:

I had the fusion s 800.

It was a very light, very good sounding amp.

It really cut through any mix.

The controls were a bit daft and not that easy to suss out, but they're good amps. They just kinda work no matter what you do.

Seems to be the general consensus, cheers man, solidified my decision I reckon 😎

I have a Fusion S 800 which is a fantastic amp, lots of character from a tiny head. I've used with all sorts of cabs and even through the BF two10 I was pleasantly surprised how well it kept up. It has a great range from clean warm tones to gritty modern distortion. Hard amp to fault!

Don't get to use it much because the guitarist in the new band has a VBA400 which just sounds incredible, even if it does need 2 people to carry it! In all honesty if it was just me I'd be opting to use the GK purely for convenience but that all tube sound is really hard to beat!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you feel that you need four tens may I humbly suggest that you consider a pair of 2x10s stacked on their ends for a vertical 4x10. This brings the top cabinet closer to ear level and two cabinets take up the same stage area as one. They also disperse better out into the room. All in all a win win situation.

• Thanks 1

Update on this. I bought a Fusion 800s off Mr Dinsdale and paired it with a barefaced retro 6x10.

Only played it in the house so far so yet to use it in anger but the tone is absolutely superb. I love the Gallien Kruger growl and paired with the barefaced it just sounds so gritty and crisp, tried it with a fender jazz, music man sub and Spector rebop and they all sound amazing. I was a bit concerned about the tone controls etc on the head after reading various opinions online but it only takes 10 minutes of playing or so to feel your way through them.

Will update on here after I’ve used it for rehearsal and gigs in the next few weeks but it’s looking like a very solid purchase! 

• Like 3

I've been watching videos of these amps this afternoon, they sound great.  I did own the Legacy but it wasn't for me... perfect if you want to slice the faces of every one in the front row.

So, do Gallien-Krueger still sell products in the UK? I've had a look around today and no one has any of the new Fusion S or the new Neo cabs for sale. Polar only have the odd item available, you would think they'd have the full line up... weird. 

Edited by 2elliot

12 hours ago, 2elliot said:

I've been watching videos of these amps this afternoon, they sound great.  I did own the Legacy but it wasn't for me... perfect if you want to slice the faces of every one in the front row.

So, do Gallien-Krueger still sell products in the UK? I've had a look around today and no one has any of the new Fusion S or the new Neo cabs for sale. Polar only have the odd item available, you would think they'd have the full line up... weird. 

When I’d initially had my eyes on the GK NEO IV 4x10 cabs the only place that had them for sale was Andertons.co.uk but they sold out and they’ve said it’s looking like 4 months for a re stock, I think there’s one or two fusion s heads left on there but they’re quite pricey 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Polar Audio have been so rubbish that Gallien Krueger are now opting to deal direct now with some main dealers instead. Obviously this takes time to set up and there are delays with manufacture as a hangover from Covid and electronic part shortages. Andertons will be your best bet as and when.

Also worth mentioning that many people think of GK as being a massive company but in reality they are still a family business.

• Like 1