Why become a member? ×

Which cabinet???

Roger...

Hi All,

I am part of a small group of older players (9 players) who just play every few weeks for fun in a village hall. I myself am a lead/rhythm player but have over the last 12 months decided to learn the bass as an added interest. For starters, I already have a have a BAM200 (200w 4 ohm) amplifier and a 12" bass speaker cabinet which suits and sounds fine. The problem is that I have to store all my kit upstairs in a back bedroom and I'm finding the bass cabinet a bit too big and heavy to get up and down the stairs constantly risking injury.

So I was looking at a 2x10" Gnome upright cab or a 1x12" Gnome. Both 4 ohm and about 300 watt.

The type of music we play is more of the ballad type and not punchy or slap-bass or anything like that. Probably more suitable to a string bass really. So the sound doesn't have to sound trebly or punchy which I think is the fashion nowadays.

What do you reckon. The 2x10" or the 1x12"?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Roger...

If money isn’t the problem the U.K. (made in Brighton) Barefaced Super Twelve is one of the tops, very lightweight and will take lots of energy with clear bottom end. They do come up here S/H now and then but…very expensive brand new. The new  MarkBass single 12” cabs could be a great alternative. Good luck, always a dilemma!

Hi Mybass,

Thanks for that. I suppose money is an issue as I'm and older guy and would rather by choice be looking at the more budget end of the market. I do understand that we get what we pay for though. The question really was which would suit me better, a 2x10" or a 1x12"?

Edited by Roger...

1 hour ago, Roger... said:

Hi Mybass,

Thanks for the advert. Unfortunately it looks as big as the one I already have.

Thanks anyway. I will look through the Ad's.

These cabs are very lightweight and very high output.  Don't equate size with weight.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Frank.

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

I do understand about weight and size being deceiving. I already have an idea as to which cabs will suit me, so my question was what would be the better speaker for the particular music I play, a 1x12 or a 2x10. Small village hall venue and 9 players (not all playing at once).

Great photo by the way.

Hi Roger, speaker size really has very little to do with the tone. Well actually that's not quite true but the point is that it's just not as simple a question as you're making it out to be. From the two cabinets you mention I'd probably suggest the 210 for you. It's a bit taller to get the sound out better and it'll be narrower on the stairs. Do be aware though that it's 4 ohm, and you won't be able to add another. I think, given your volume requirements, that shouldn't be a problem. 

Most importantly, welcome to bass and basschat! 

• Like 4

G'day Roger, to answer your question, all things being equal ( which they seldom are but we have to start somewhere ) a 112 will be quite a bit lighter than a 210.

That out of the way, I never heard of Gnome cabs and I have been kicking around BassChat for a fair while. Perhaps you have one of those newfangled internet hyperlinks for us?

Context is very important. Extrapolating lines and doing maths I come up with you are a 78 year old geezer playing in some kind of community jam. Likely where ukuleles and guitars and the odd sax etc are unamplified?

If my hunch is correct there's  a BF 110 for 250 quid that would do that job.

The Barefaced cab you got pointed to will carry you on to anywhere you want to go with your amp. You would be hard pressed to find a lighter 112. Hard to put a price on that.

I have a BAM200 and I bought a Gnome 10/8 to go with it. The Gnome has a volume control for the tweeter which adds some top end but the control and sockets are on the top. When putting a bigger amp on top of the cab, or for stacking two cabs, the sockets are obscured. I use it in rehearsals (it's left in the hall we use) and the sound is ok. In the photo, I have the Gnome and a TE cab stacked and you can see the size difference.

DSCG8937-7.thumb.jpg.218a0199d2333137104288e26ebe73f6.jpg

For gigs I now use 2 1x10 Trace Elliot cabs with a Peavey Minimax amp. The TE cab is smaller and lighter (I had to go as light as possible after getting a hernia). I prefer the sound of the Trace Elliots, either with the BAM200 or Peavey, as they have more punch.  

• Like 1

Jack: Thank you for your welcome. I think you get where I'm at. The 2x10 does look more suitable because of it being narrower (stairs etc.). The thing I'm unsure about is that when I research 10" speakers against 12" speakers, it shows that the 10" doesn't have as much bottom end as the 12" (eg. 10" 65Hz, 12" 45Hz). the other thing is that the 2x10 is 7lb heavier. The 4 ohms doesn't bother me as I don't intend adding another speaker.  

Downunderwonder: Your hunch about me is correct and also about the venue and the players. I will have a look at the BF110 but think I've already homed in on a couple of choices. It's mainly 1x12 or 2x10 for my particular application. It is not for gigging at semi-large venues.

Franticsmurf: Thank you for the photo. It certainly puts the two cabs into context.  Is the TE below the Gnome a 10"? As previously mentioned, I am not too interested in punchy or trebly slap bass. It's more for smooth ballad type accompanyment. That is why I am concerned about the lower frequency capabilities of the 2x10.

Edited by Roger...

1 hour ago, Roger... said:

I will have a look at the BF110 but think I've already homed in on a couple of choices.

I know you're mulling 1x12 Vs 2x10 and people keep chipping in with other stuff, but the Barefaced One10 is seriously worth a look, especially if you could pick one up cheapish on the second hand market. I've just replaced a decent conventional 800W 4ohm 4x10 with a pair of BF One10 cabs, and they're competing favourably in a large rehearsal space with an absolutely built drummer and two guitarists with half-stacks. I reckon just one and your 200W amp would easily do what you need and be almost insignificant on a flight of stairs. Our rehearsal space is up about 8 flights and at around half your age I don't mind admitting that I enjoyed taking my two new cabs up them, one in each hand, a lot more than I did bringing the old one back down in full bear-hug stance on its final trip out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger... said:

Jack: Thank you for your welcome. I think you get where I'm at. The 2x10 does look more suitable because of it being narrower (stairs etc.). The thing I'm unsure about is that when I research 10" speakers against 12" speakers, it shows that the 10" doesn't have as much bottom end as the 12" (eg. 10" 65Hz, 12" 45Hz). the other thing is that the 2x10 is 7lb heavier. The 4 ohms doesn't bother me as I don't intend adding another speaker. 

I know the frustration of asking a question and getting an answer to a different one. Out of those two cabs I think the 2x10 would be a little better, I know the specs say that it doesn't go as low but I would argue that you'll probably not be getting close to either cab's limit with your situation so that probably doesn't matter so much. It's the old supercar analogy isn't it? One can do 160mph, the other 180mph, which is faster? Neither, the speed limit is 70mph. At that point, other factors become more important, such as your 'getting the cab down the stairs' requirement.

Having said that, IME the wise old owls suggesting that you look outside of the Warwick range are probably right here. I've owned 5 Barefaced cabs (although admittedly none of the retro ones) and they've all been amazing, the Barefaced 1x10 would likely be perfect for you. The best small cabinets I've ever used have been from GSS. The 1x12 is truly stunning (and half the weight of the Warwick 210).

Hi Ed_S,

Just had a look and the BF One 10 is certainly small and also one of the lightest I've seen. That sort of cost is a bit prohibitive for me though. I think I'm pretty much decided on which two cabinets I prefer. It's really just deciding which is the best for me with the type of music I play.

Hi Jack,

Your analogy is spot-on for my situation. I am basically a lead and rhythm player and have been since early teens. On that subject, regarding guitars, amplifiers, effects etc., I could talk the iron lid off a kettle and realise that usually we get what we pay for. However I am now dipping my toe in the water with the bass guitar and am fully aware that there is some wonderful stuff out there to be had. As playing bass will be an 'occasional' duty, I am trying to ease myself into it in a small but adequate way and if I require to purchase something of better quality at a later date then that is fine. From your reply you feel that the 2x10 would be a better bet for me. I don't think I mind the extra 7lb weight as the cabinet is narrower and more easlily managable. Although the 1x12 is reasonably managable too. Before I go upmarket, I would like to get my feet wet first. I've aready got a 300w 1x12. It's just that it's heavy (44lb) and when carrying it my knuckles just miss the door frames (not always).

3 hours ago, Roger... said:

... From your reply you feel that the 2x10 would be a better bet for me... 

From those two yes. Shape can matter more than weight to me, and I have a feeling it'll be a more capable cabinet when you and your friends start getting drunk and playing acdc. 

I'd be driving to get that Barefaced though. 🤐

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger... said:

Hi Ed_S,

Just had a look and the BF One 10 is certainly small and also one of the lightest I've seen. That sort of cost is a bit prohibitive for me though. I think I'm pretty much decided on which two cabinets I prefer. It's really just deciding which is the best for me with the type of music I play.

There is/was a 2nd hand BF 10 available for £250. That is lower than usually offered but you get the drift of why we are pumping the used end of the market.

I can't get through to the specs on the warrick page it just blacks out. Maybe it detects I am in NZ. Anyways, looking at what you get for the brand new money they can't be near the value of used.

BF lack of weight for loudness ratio is unbeatable except by carbon fibre which puts you in another price bracket altogether.

Elf 110 cabs also pop up used pretty regularly and a bit cheaper than BF.

Other option is find a community "Men's Shed" as we call them here. Basically a local depot where retired geezers go to hang out and make themselves useful  fixing stuff and helping with projects, like building a bass cabinet.

There's a joker in the classifieds selling a spare OEM SWR driver for a SWR Goliath JRII, 35 quid.  A quarter of a sheet of plywood later you got a handy little one hand carry for next to nothing.

That was my thread linked up there ^ about the BF One10 for sale on the Fretboard Forum. I bought one of them, and now have two. I can’t speak highly enough of these cabs, they are remarkable. I have a gig tonight in a pub for Valentines, I’m just taking one BF One10 cab and my Trace Elliot Elf (similar to the BAM200), and I doubt I’ll have the amp running at more than 3 or 4 on the master. It sounds to me from what you’re saying that these cabs fit the bill perfectly.

Rob

I have no doubt at all that from your own vast experiences you are pointing me in the direction which you think I should go. Just to reiterate, I am no longer a gigging musician and just have a get together with 8 other guys every few weeks to play for fun. Playing bass is my secondary function which I am thoroughly enjoying. I also have had a lifetime of purchasing second hand, used, pre-loved items to get by with,  and now prefer when I can (rightly or wrongly) to purchase new. I am taking on board all the good useful stuff you are telling me and soon I will be making a decision which way to go.

My thanks to you all.

• Like 1