Why become a member? ×

Best alternative to a Ampeg V4B sound?(looking for a similiar sounding combo)

SurroundedByManatees

Hi There,

At the moment I have a ´77 Ampeg V4B head with Glockenklang cab in my livingroom (as my band quit almost a year ago, I had to take it home from the rehearsal space). For home use, it is quite a violent set and I dont use it often. 

I very much like the sound of this set (deep, growl, clarity), but I know I won´t be gigging anytime soon....so actually would be more happy with a smaller and less powerfull combo for daily use. This means I am thinking of selling my set and replace it for a smaller combo that could also have enough power for gigging if required.

Anyone has a a suggestion for/experience with a solid state or hybrid combo that has that typical Ampeg sound?

All the best

Patrick

PF20T or CTM30 👍

But as you mention hybrid then 

Ampeg PF500 or Ashdown RM500 

but I would keep the V4B for later and just get a Trace Elliott ELF which is an amazing 200W head and low cost ( loud enough to gig with decent cab )

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

I use the new V4B for home use and it’s very good at lower levels, don’t know if it’s different to your one, not solid state but if you can find one a B-15 would be nice 

just to add, I’m not a big pedal user but I’ve put my Ampeg preamp pedal through a few of my amps and it’s sound is very good 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions✌️

The amp sounds good at low levels, that's not a problem. It's just a big set with too much speaker surface (I think) for my living room. Even at low levels there is rattling of stuff everywhere. Of course I could go with a smaller cab, but the head is pretty huge and already sticks out on both sides of the 410. 

The V4B a great amp in very good shape, so in that light I should probably keep it. On the other hand it probably won't be used in the next years, and I still have a nice Peavey T-Max too. I could juice that amp up with some kind of Ampeg simulation pedal maybe...

As soon as you sell that Ampeg unit you'll come across a band to play with and have to buy again. 

You could use a trick from the guitar players and pull the two outer power tubes and run the amp at half power., not an ideal match but at practice volumes you should be fine.

Edited by BassmanPaul

38 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I have a micro VR and though there’s not a lot in it it’s a cracking little head 

It’s a great little rig, I used to gig it with 2 x cabs but a guy I know gigs it with one and gets great tone and pretty decent volume, perfect for living room and small gigs 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying this Fender Bassman Twelve:

IMG_20230225_112718.thumb.jpg.df5f26dff1a6460128679d71e577306b.jpg

Not exactly what I was looking for in first instance, but I'm glad I did.

Of course it sounds different than Ampeg, but it's a really great sounding amp with some pleasant grit. The 12" sounds tight in my living room, without shaking everything from the shelves. 

This amp can still be pretty loud though, I'm confident that it's 150 watts will be enough for rehearsals and smaller gigs, in case I'll be playing out again in the future.

For Ampeg-like simulation purposes I will use one of those pedals.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...