Why become a member? ×

Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Bass JJ V in Lambo Green - *WITHDRAWN*
£675
Birmingham

GrammeFriday

A truly gorgeous 5-string presented for sale in what Charvel call 'Lambo Green Metallic', but I think would be more accurately described as metallic British Racing Green. It's quite hard to photograph - my pictures don't do it any justice, I'm afraid, but here goes anyway:

IMG_2901.thumb.jpg.0dccaf8b48a6e1bfdeb86d02b784616a.jpg

IMG_2902.thumb.jpg.1560d9a07664f609c19e2767ca7d184b.jpg

IMG_2903.thumb.jpg.e5ee6a243e44038d40dfcd2dc9d4494f.jpg

IMG_2904.thumb.jpg.c8509a37aff9ce19bad10fd87c7f6117.jpg

IMG_2905.thumb.jpg.d743310d0b8ba9323aea1434c4f1acb2.jpg

IMG_2907.thumb.jpg.84a7eab5deae433d52ea5340ccd3ebb7.jpg

IMG_2909.thumb.jpg.ab2c436f97b32971db71112f60143f07.jpg

IMG_2911.thumb.jpg.caaf3966faf12aed4b57ad7ffa650407.jpg

IMG_2912.thumb.jpg.f4277d5868cb441b814e2849906f5231.jpg

IMG_2920.thumb.jpg.bc891776301cc486223d0225c8bd85c9.jpg

IMG_2922.thumb.jpg.3fb27c0273cc333fa2a45a0fee60ea8e.jpg

1637313084_IMG_26552.thumb.jpg.fcf52fff75c1b591e73939946d40a7e6.jpg

I bought this bass last Autumn, and have thoroughly enjoyed home noodling on it, but when gigging time comes I still find myself reaching for my trusty Sandberg. And a massive and sudden upswelling of GAS for an Eventide H90 means that something has to go, so here we are ...

First thing to say about this bass is that it looks STUNNING. I normally hate gold hardware, but on this bass it works so, so well with the green finish, 'caramelised' (i.e. roasted) maple neck and cream pickup covers. In fact I'd say that the aesthetic 'togetherness' of this bass is reflected in other aspects too - the whole instrument gives the impression that it has been carefully thought through from the ground up. You have JJ pickups but a Precision-style body, which I really like. The alder/maple woods combo is classic, as is the tone - I had been expecting it to sound very zingy and modern, and was actually quite surprised to find it actually has more of a vintagey, 60s jazz tone by default, although of course you can get a more modern top end (or whatever else you want) using the 3-band eq (cut and boost). The volume pot is also a push-pull active-passive toggle switch, so you can run it in passive if the battery were to fart out mid-gig. Passive mode sounds good too, although there is no passive tone roll-off if that matters to you. The low B is excellent, especially for a 34 scale, and is fully integrated in terms of both tone and feel with the other four strings - I think the very chunky Badass-style bridge helps a lot with this. The neck is graphite reinforced, silky smooth and very slim, and the fingerboard has rolled edges and a very shreddy 12”-16” compound radius. Oh, and it even has Luminlay side dots, too. Truss rod adjustment is Music Man style, with that nifty little wheel thingy where the neck meets the body. Weight is 4.1kg on my digital postal scales, which is nice and light for a 5er. Better still, and despite the light weight, this bass balances perfectly on a strap. I have zero tolerance for neck dive, and am happy to report that this has no such issues at all.

In short, this is a lot of bass for the money. Cheapest new prices seem to be from Gear4Music and Bax at £769.00, so £675 for this bass is a decent chunk off, especially considering that it is in immaculate, as-new condition.

Happy for you to come and collect from Birmingham B30, or to post within England, Scotland or Wales for an extra £25. I'd also be willing to meet halfway within an hour or so's radius by car.

No trades on this one, please, unless you have an Eventide H90 to offer!

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by GrammeFriday
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Very nice...I really like it.  I was expecting a horrendous pointy headstock when I saw "Charvel" but the classic F shape looks good. 

Unfortunately I don't need another 5er, even a tasty green one.

GLWTS. 

Yep. Charvel are owned by Fender, which is why they were allowed to use the Fender headstock shape.

• Like 1

I have the same but in candy apple red. The DiMarzios sound great and together with all the other neat touches you mentioned - roasted neck with really comfy profile, luminlay dots, hi mass bridge, light weight etc make these hard to beat at their price point imo.

Something of note too is the quality of finish on these. There is a deep lustre to the paint which makes the colours really pop imo. 

I did consider selling mine (too many basses) but then withdrew it. I now keep looking at the pearl platinum P/J 5 string they now do. 

GLWTS!

• Thanks 1

Bass looks fantastic. Just my kind of colour. Shame with all of those knobs they couldn't put a passive tone in, but I'll bet it sounds great. This is definitely on my radar. I did do a touring show with a Guitarist who had one of these, basically a bright orange superstrat, it sounded great.

Really good sales Ad too! Thought and time went into it, which is becoming rarer and rarer 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bump.

I have one of these in red.  The bit in the OP's ad about it being 'STUNNING' is true; they are.  Its one of those basses that you just want to play it because it looks so good.  The neck feels lovely in your hand too; rolled fingerboard, luminlay dots and its beautiful.

I bought mine to play in a previous band as our singer had us drop the key of several songs by a semi tone or two.  That band is no more and with my current band I only need a 4 string.  But I'm not selling mine, its a keeper.

The bassist on the Sam Ryder New Years eve thing on the telly had one of these, in the green.  He swapped basses a few times but he used his Charvel for several songs.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2023 at 09:13, BillyBass said:

Here's a bump.

I have one of these in red.  The bit in the OP's ad about it being 'STUNNING' is true; they are.  Its one of those basses that you just want to play it because it looks so good.  The neck feels lovely in your hand too; rolled fingerboard, luminlay dots and its beautiful.

I bought mine to play in a previous band as our singer had us drop the key of several songs by a semi tone or two.  That band is no more and with my current band I only need a 4 string.  But I'm not selling mine, its a keeper.

The bassist on the Sam Ryder New Years eve thing on the telly had one of these, in the green.  He swapped basses a few times but he used his Charvel for several songs.

Thanks, BillyBass. Yes, I too noticed that this was indeed the main axe of the (really good) bass player on the Sam Ryder New Year tv show.  

• GrammeFriday changed the title to WITHDRAWN: Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Bass JJ V in Lambo Green