Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters...

uk_lefty

Looking for advice on envelope filters... I've had a few in the past, DOD FX25B (very good), EHX DR Q (not good), EHX Micro Q Tron (very good), Digitech bass synth wah (not good), all the options on the HX Stomp... I no longer have any of those pedals. What I am looking for is an envelope filter where I can really slow down the attack and release to give a nice swell to a note. This is for combining with a subtle fuzz (Darkglass Duality, which is amazing for it's sheer range of sounds), and maybe chorus and Boss OC-2 to emulate some synth tones. I'm not looking for the Bootsy style super squelch, just something flexible that will work well with other pedals. Budget is an issue, I'm happy to go second hand but want to stay under £100 if possible. I'm not averse to going for a pedal I've had before and liked. 

Grateful for any advice, thank you!

• Like 1

... the Aguilar Filter Twin used can be got for around £100 and has the benefit of both an up and down sweep with being able to control the speed of each independently. You can get some very musical sounds with it. I've also got an MXR Bass Envelope filter, more controls on this one but only sweeps in one direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually a big fan of the EBS Bass IQ. The EBS pedals are generally underrated because they look so utilitarian, but the IQ has a great variety of great sounds available. It's easy to dial in and generally can be found cheaply. I dont however recommend the first series of these, which is a pig to trigger with passive  basses and just gives a bassy WHOMP! No matter how you set it, look fit the ones that say "True Bypass"

For synth applications I prefer the IQ to my 3 leaf Groove Regulator, rather IT'S downsweep us very tight and laser beam like (and not noisy like a lot of Downsweep filters)

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

EHX Enigma is super flexible in terms of envelope speeds. Can usually be found for under £100 too.

I've had one of these, fantastic, versatile filter. It's large and power hungry though,  and rewards patience, which is why I didn't reward me 🤣

• Haha 1

The MXR M82 seems really versatile, but I never played with one. That said, on YT there are several good videos.

Months ago I got this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Eden-CaliforniWAH-Bass-Wah-Pedal-with-PSU/4UX6 And I am happy with it.

It's still on sale.

It seems less versatile than the MXR, but nontheless it has personality. It is dirty and squelchy if you want, but goes low as well with the right settings.

2 things about it, it wants its 15v psu (that comes with it), and the size.

Everybody thinks it is big, but it is not.

It's as big as a Boss pedal, but sits horizontally instead of vertically, if that makes sense.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 3

have you checked out Ian Allison on YouTube, he does some good walk throughs on this. 
But I will add I achieve what you're describing with the MXR.. word of warning though, It can be a bit tricky to dial in. It seems each of the controls affects the other, so you can end up chasing yourself around a little. But once set, it responds really well to your playing. You can get really good swell decay control from your plucking/picking hand. It's a bit sensitive to basses too, one setting doesn't fit all.

• Like 4

On 29/01/2023 at 13:54, Quatschmacher said:

EHX Enigma is super flexible in terms of envelope speeds. Can usually be found for under £100 too.

What I forgot to mention about this is that is also has an expression pedal I put so you can manually sweep the filter exactly to your liking too. The only drawback is that there is no switch to engage/disable this function like there is on stuff like the Chromatron, so once you plug in an expression pedal, it overrides the envelope control. Someone cleverer than me could probably make a simple modification to overcome this. 

• Like 1