Why become a member? ×

Tool 46 & 2

SteveXFR

Is it just me or is this really tricky?

At 49 seconds (in this video) the drone note changes from the open D to (I think) an F. I cannot work out how to play this and allow that note to keep ringing out while fretting the notes on the G string.

Is it me or does this require particularly long and flexible fingers?

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

When I learned it I just played along with the CD over & over until I got it right/got bored.

THAT WAS ALL WE HAD IN 1996!

:D

1996 didn't seem right to me so I googled it. Depending which source is correct it was released either 96, 97 or 98

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

When I learned it I just played along with the CD over & over until I got it right/got bored.

THAT WAS ALL WE HAD IN 1996!

:D

CD?!?!?!

LUXURY!!!

Back in my day, all we had was tape, with so much hiss it sounded like you were in a pit of snakes and, as the tape stretched, you would have to change your tuning to match.

We were lucky to have it, too!

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

1996 didn't seem right to me so I googled it. Depending which source is correct it was released either 96, 97 or 98

I bought it in 1996, original ltd. ed lenticular cover, too. Saw them on the Aenima tour at the Astoria in Feb '97 - a long trek from Edinburgh but their only UK gig that time round.

I'm not the guy in Hooker With A Penis but have been a Tool fan for almost as long!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I really wanted to see Tool live until a mate saw them live last year and said Maynard kept stopping to complain about people taking photos. The flashes may be annoying but most bands manage to keep playing through it

I saw tool last year and it was fantastic, especially as noone was taking photos. you don't realise how good a gig without phones is until you are in the middle of it. Honestly it makes the gig so much better, and it was pretty good to start with.

I'm afraid I'm with Maynard on this - lifting your phone up to film or take pics at a gig means that the people behind you have to either watch through a tiny aperture, or try to look around it. 

Secondly, the quality of the photo/video isn't going to be worth looking at either - low light, fast shutter speeds etc...

Finally bands like Tool spend heavily on their visuals, intermittent flashes and tiny video lights detract from the aesthetic that they're trying to immerse the punter in.

and that's without even considering the legality of it.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 2

He certainly also didn't moan about the cameras, he didn't mention them for most of the set, but there were signs when you were walking to the venue (the O2), there were signs when you came in and there were signs all over the auditorium, you couldn't not know. If you used your phone, security would come and have a word, and if you used it after security had a word, security came and took you out. i thought it was handled well.

Before the last song, he said you can now use your phones if you wanted to and everyones came out, even I felt compelled to take a picture then, and made you appreciate the time before!

I would certainly be happy to pay extra for phone security.

IMG_3360.jpeg

I can never understand why people choose to film gigs on their phone. It looks rubbish and sounds worse. 

I prefer to leave my phone at home or in the car and enjoy the show while I'm there.

I've seen people trying to video gigs with their phone get angry with people who dare to mosh or dance and ruin their video. 

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I can never understand why people choose to film gigs on their phone. It looks rubbish and sounds worse. 

We have a friend on FB that does that, she live streams gigs which to me sound like the hight of rudeness if not actually illegal, and she will then post about 150 photos afterwards of the gig, almost all blurry or the wrong angle or the floor ot whatever. She does actually post like that for anything - ie, holiday, 300 photo dump.. here is the beach, here is the beach, here is the beach at an off angle, here is the beach slightly blurry.

Dont get it - I generally take one or two photos, just as I use it to remind myself where I was when i am looking back, so that photo above was my only photo at tool, and I can look in my photos and say 'oh yes, 9th May 2022 I went to see tool' as I have a tendency to think things were less time ago!