Why become a member? ×

Is it worth getting an external camera mic?

Al Krow

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

What are you recording - if it's your own band, can you record straight out of the desk?

That's a very good point John, but does require the band to fully mic'd and any backline effectively be reduced to stage monitoring? The drums may present a particular challenge but I guess you could get away with an ambient overhead mic for the drums?

Obviously if you're recording other bands, then you don't have the same ability to get the output from the desk.

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's a very good point John, but does require the band to fully mic'd and any backline effectively be reduced to stage monitoring? The drums may present a particular challenge but I guess you could get away with an ambient overhead mic for the drums?

Ah yes, good point - I'd over-assumed that everything was already running through the PA.  (If everything had been, and if you had a digital mixer, you could likely record each track individually - i.e. independently of whatever you're doing with the FOH or monitors - and mix it down later)

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yes indeed for recording gigs. The cameras are the ones used in the clip in the OP. 

Doh!  Missed the link 🤡

I incorrectly assumed you were after advice, which was going to be “So long as the input gain is manually adjustable and auto-level control disabled, it should be fine.”

Will have a listen on headphones before spouting any more crap 😂

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Doh!  Missed the link 🤡

I incorrectly assumed you were after advice, which was going to be “So long as the input gain is manually adjustable and auto-level control disabled, it should be fine.”

Will have a listen on headphones before spouting any more crap 😂

Well that's good advice! I think the ability to set internal mic volumes on a decent camera is a huge plus to avoid distortion. I don't think (android) camera phones allow you to do this manually but I think it can done via an app - anyone with experience please shout! 

Let me know what you think.

Unsure about the other cameras you mentioned without googling specs, but for phone recording there is an awesome app called AudioShare (for Android and iOS).  You can set the recording level manually.

Not sure if that overrides the video audio levels though - I shall experiment…

Edit: no, the video’s audio reverts to normal.  Forget the above (still a good app though).

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Unsure about the other cameras you mentioned without googling specs, but for phone recording there is an awesome app called AudioShare (for Android and iOS).  You can set the recording level manually.

Not sure if that overrides the video audio levels though - I shall experiment…

Edit: no, the video’s audio reverts to normal.  Forget the above (still a good app though).

The other camera is a Sony a6300. It's got a very decent APS-C chip which means that for low light recording (e.g. in pubs) it knocks the socks off camera phones (maybe not the latest Apple kit?).

That's really useful to know about not being able to adjust camera phone's video audio levels - inevitably going to get some distortion as is audible in the first part of the OP clip.

14 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

That looks great. If only they'd given it WiFi connectivity it would be perfect. Having to mess about plugging into a computer and transferring files before being able to upload is a deal breaker for me. Looks like I'll be continuing to use my phone for now. 

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That looks great. If only they'd given it WiFi connectivity it would be perfect. Having to mess about plugging into a computer and transferring files before being able to upload is a deal breaker for me. Looks like I'll be continuing to use my phone for now. 

ah ok. Do you not edit your videos in something before you upload them? Something like Da Vinci resolve?

On 16/01/2023 at 16:31, skidder652003 said:

Does look good and some great features. What's the video quality like - particularly chip size / ISO rating for low light recording? That's where something like the Sony a6000 series shines with its APS-C chip, but that plus a Rode stereo mic is a multiple of the cost of the Q2N so horses for courses: the Zoom Q2N is a complete video/audio package and costs pretty much the same as the Rode Stereo mic I'm using, by itself! 

PS really starting to appreciate the Zoom Livetrack L-8 mixing desk I got off the back of your recommendation (of its big brother) - so thanks again for that! 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Does look good and some great features. What's the video quality like - particularly chip size / ISO rating for low light recording? That's where something like the Sony a6000 series shines with its APS-C chip, but that plus a Rode stereo mic is a multiple of the cost of the Q2N so horses for courses: the Zoom Q2N is a complete video/audio package and costs pretty much the same as the Rode Stereo mic I'm using, by itself! 

PS really starting to appreciate the Zoom Livetrack L-8 mixing desk I got off the back of your recommendation (of its big brother) - so thanks again for that! 

so i will say i was disappointed with the video quality of the non 4K version which i had. 

I can't vouch for the quality of the 4K video but the sound is great.

I currently use a canon 5D mk 2, amazing difference over an action cam and take my audio off the desk.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2023 at 22:47, Al Krow said:

They can be a bit £spendy - does the improvement in sound make it worth it?

Sound test comparison - camera phone vs camera mic vs external mic (decent pair of headphones recommended)

listening to that test, the difference in quality with the external mic was obvious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

so i will say i was disappointed with the video quality of the non 4K version which i had. 

I can't vouch for the quality of the 4K video but the sound is great.

I currently use a canon 5D mk 2, amazing difference over an action cam and take my audio off the desk.

8 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

listening to that test, the difference in quality with the external mic was obvious.

Cheers buddy. I think you've hit the nail on the head - if you want high quality video you need a decent camera for low light. But the internal mic on most of them is really nothing to write home about! 

When you say take your your audio off the desk - is that your band's Zoom Livetrack L-20? I'm guessing everything is completely mic'd up and going through FoH and any backline is DI'd through the PA too? How many mic's do you use for the drums?

Edited by Al Krow

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers buddy. I think you've hit the nail on the head - if you want high quality video you need a decent camera for low light. But the internal mic on most of them is really nothing to write home about! 

When you say take your your audio off the desk - is that your band's Zoom Livetrack L-20? I'm guessing everything is completely mic'd up and going through FoH and any backline is DI'd through the PA too? How many mic's do you use for the drums?

yes everything is mic'd through the PA, apart from bass which is DI. Our drummer sets himself up, mics his snare, kick and 3 toms plus 2 overheads so 7 mics for the drums plus one for guitar, 3 vocals and bass Di so thats 12 inputs into the desk. you could get away with 2 overheads in to the drums and maybe a kick mic if you have less inputs.

• Like 1

Spotted this today which could be the perfect solution for me. 

Basically an XLR adapter with phantom power that plugs straight into a phone, tablet, laptop etc. So I can record with my phone, which has excellent video quality, but use a good quality mic to pick up the audio. Might be worth a punt at under £40.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/tc_helicon_go_vocal.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.GBP%3AEUR

• Like 1

On 16/01/2023 at 16:31, skidder652003 said:

That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind something for posting odd bits of soundchecks or whatever on Facebook, or possibly YouTube. I have toyed with the idea of getting a GoPro, but they're not cheap and I'm worried that it might stretch my limited IT capabilities / patience. Would this be more suitable / easier to use? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, peteb said:

That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind something for posting odd bits of soundchecks or whatever on Facebook, or possibly YouTube. I have toyed with the idea of getting a GoPro, but they're not cheap and I'm worried that it might stretch my limited IT capabilities / patience. Would this be more suitable / easier to use? 

Its the sound recording quality thats so much more superior to your usual action cam that is the zooms selling point.

The video quality is not up there with a go pro but for band rehearsals it fine for facebook etc.

I found them easy to use personally.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Spotted this today which could be the perfect solution for me. 

Basically an XLR adapter with phantom power that plugs straight into a phone, tablet, laptop etc. So I can record with my phone, which has excellent video quality, but use a good quality mic to pick up the audio. Might be worth a punt at under £40.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/tc_helicon_go_vocal.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.GBP%3AEUR

you'll need the right sort of mic.

A shure sm57 for example wouldn't pick up a whole band recording.

• Like 1

I've got the Zoom Q8.  It's the non 4k version and as above the video quality isn't iphone quality but the live recorded sound is superb.  I can also supplement the mic recording with an additional two channels if needed. 

• Like 1