Why become a member? ×

Is it worth getting an external camera mic?

Al Krow

30 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Its the sound recording quality thats so much more superior to your usual action cam that is the zooms selling point.

The video quality is not up there with a go pro but for band rehearsals it fine for facebook etc.

I found them easy to use personally.

That sounds interesting, probably just what I need. 

I can't really justify the expense of going down the GoPro route, so this looks like it might be a more cost-effective option. I have friends who use GoPros to put on drones and take aerial photos or to film their diving exploits! I'm not doing anything that adventurous, just for uploading (mainly) band stuff to social media. The thing is, and I can't emphasise this strongly enough, at my age I just haven't got the patience for learn anything overly technical! It has to be used friendly and easy to retrieve files from the unit and save them onto a laptop, so that I can upload them onto social media. 

Thanks and I shall investigate further. 

Edited by peteb

On 23/01/2023 at 17:03, peteb said:

That sounds interesting, probably just what I need. 

I can't really justify the expense of going down the GoPro route, so this looks like it might be a more cost-effective option. I have friends who use GoPros to put on drones and take aerial photos or to film their diving exploits! I'm not doing anything that adventurous, just for uploading (mainly) band stuff to social media. The thing is, and I can't emphasise this strongly enough, at my age I just haven't got the patience for learn anything overly technical! It has to be used friendly and easy to retrieve files from the unit and save them onto a laptop, so that I can upload them onto social media. 

Thanks and I shall investigate further. 

I think you can save the files as mp4's in the camera and just attach a (supplied) USB cable and literally drag n drop them onto your computer.

• Like 1

Quite interested in this thread - been looking at options for this myself!

Seems the video on a lot of modern phones is pretty impressive, but the sound is...ropey. I see there are lots of options for USB mics that can be plugged in to deal with this, but info is a bit scarce (most articles seem to cover mics for conferences or podcasts). Anybody know what options are like for an external smartphone mic that cope with live music? E.g., I see the Shure MV88 is quite well regarded, but it's not entirely clear what applications it was tested on - I don't want to accidentally sink a couple of hundred quid on a fancy podcasting mic...

On 23/01/2023 at 16:40, skidder652003 said:

Its the sound recording quality thats so much more superior to your usual action cam that is the zooms selling point.

The video quality is not up there with a go pro but for band rehearsals it fine for facebook etc.

I found them easy to use personally.

Just pulled the trigger on the Zoom! 

I don't suppose that anyone knows if it is compatible with a tripod with a universal 1/4 Inch screw thread?