Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier 40th Precision in LPB

fergs40

Not my first new (to me) bass, but first time I’ve done a NBD post.

For some reason I’ve never owned a precision, but like many people (and posts I’ve read on here would seem to bear this out), I’ve been precision-curious for some time. 

I played one of these Squiers recently in our local music shop (Just Music in Berlin) and although I was impressed by the instrument itself, the snob in me couldn’t square the €500+ asking price with the name on the headstock. I know, I know…

However, my interest was piqued enough to begin to look around. I read a couple of posts in that other bass forum about people getting good deals in Thomann’s Black Friday sale so I had a look and saw they had a B-stock for €322 (about £295), which felt like a decent price - ordered last Friday, turned up today.

The only B-stockness I can detect is that the plastic film has been taken off the (very shiny!) pickguard, pickups and tuners (if they do that on Squiers). The worst I could say is that the silica sachet had broken so the box was full of little balls of silicon - I wondered why the package sounded like it had one of those rain shower things in it…

Anyway, there’s not a mark on the bass, and it was more than reasonably playable out of the box, though I guess whoever had it previously might have adjusted it. Even the intonation was OK. 

I always imagined I’d get the archetypal 3TS with maple neck precision if I ever got one - this is clearly not that, but I like it! The blue is very deep and rich, with a nice subtle sparkle. The fretboard is a great colour for not being rosewood and the blocks are very nicely done.

In fact, I’m impressed by the fit and finish overall. Yes, I can tell the materials aren’t as top drawer as some basses I’ve got, but it is extremely well put together - no gaps, no crackles, nothing misaligned, no shonky frets.

My bass collection is quite eclectic (there’s a 4003 and a Höfner Club Ignition in there), so I’m not sure how to evaluate the playing experience, but the action is fine, the neck not too much of a handful, and I can get round on it OK. 

I’ve only played it through a little MarkBass 801 so far, but it sounds good to me. My plan is to put some Roto 88s on it for some authentic vintage thump - the supplied Fender rounds are great, but not what I bought this for.

So, there we are - if you’re after this sort of thing this could be the one for you. And anticipating the usual question, and with the usual apology for the quality, here are a couple of snaps.0005A7E6-0EA0-4E92-B6D9-5007F3A57561.thumb.jpeg.7ae58cd80705700ac35b7109e873f676.jpegF92F66AA-1F6A-40BF-9F05-1CFD386FEB42.thumb.jpeg.40e298b7c4f82f27a8d81245b993820f.jpeg57FD82B5-5F0A-4C4E-BA10-3C61977B0941.thumb.jpeg.b4c18f9d57d77343e0dfff8604bcae4e.jpeg

• Like 22

In early December, I was in Merchant city music in Glasgow just to get out of the rain. I spotted a 40th in Dakota red, picked it up and plugged it in. First of all it was super light and the neck had a nice satin finish on the back. It was priced at £450 on the tag so I had a look on the phone and it was on their website at £400.

When I asked about this, they said they would give me it at the on line price and they didn`t change the tag as they didn`t want to have to re print the tag when the price changed o.O

A bit strange but anyway, after getting my head round the fact that I was paying £400 for a Squier, I took it home and it`s a cracking bass. The quality of the fretwork is better than a Player Jazz I owned. Took it down to the studio and even the guitar player liked it with the satin finish and I think it`s the first P bass where I haven`t changed anything on. All in all, very nice.

• Like 4

I have this LPB Squier 40th too..... got it in the Thomann Black Friday sale! Excellent bass - can't find any issues with it at all. Looks fabulous, plays great and sounds decent, if a little bright.... but then that's what the tone knob is for :)

• Like 2

I think Squier have been knocking it out of the park lately with these basses - both the blue and the black one look very classy indeed.  If I didn't already have a G&L Tribute LB-100, I'd have given some serious thought to obtaining one of these - probably the black one for those 70s/80s Lotus "John Player Special" vibes...

Congrats on the new bass, looks lush!

• Like 1

Quick update on this a couple of weeks in.

Firstly, I’m still delighted with this bass overall, particularly for the €322/£295 I paid for it.

As others have noted, there is some neck dive, particularly with a narrow strap. However, this is easily counteracted with some light pressure from your right forearm when playing, which fits OK with my playing style. A thicker strap would sort it - I have a three inch wide padded leather Right On! strap fitted with straplocks that I use, but need to get some suitable (gold!) strap buttons for this bass before I can use it.

I changed the strings for Roto 88s and am very pleased with the result - thumpitty thump thump thump. I wondered if the nut slots might need a tiny bit of widening, but the strings certainly aren’t sitting high enough for it to be a problem and there’s no obvious gap under them where they sit in the slots. The tapered part of the E string isn’t quite long enough, so there’s a half wind of the thick part on the tuner, but that’s more an aesthetic issue (for me…) than a problem per se. And still on the subject of aesthetics, the gold silks do go rather well with the hardware!

I found one slightly high fret causing a buzz on the high D on the A string but a) that’s not a note I use terribly often and b) a couple of taps with a hammer on frets 18 to 20 seems to have sorted it (don’t judge me, luthiers…).

I’m still playing with the pickup height to see what pleases me best, but that’s about this being my first precision and wanting to experiment, not because the pickup is lacking in any way. The tone control has a useful range - completely off is as dark as you’d expect, and I’m running it about half way most of the time as fully open is a little brighter than I want, even with the Rotos.

So there we are - in a collection which includes such luminaries as a 4003, a Sandberg California and a Vigier Passion, the Squier has carved itself out a spot and is holding its own.

Some pictures below of the silks on the headstock, the wrap on the E tuner, and the E string in its nut slot, FYI.

PS I hadn't realised before I changed the strings that this bass has a bone nut as standard - quality! 🙂

682A682B-F319-498F-84CB-E253E7779C48.thumb.jpeg.86f6f62bfbb652d846baab198c919c86.jpeg4FB840EC-B6C6-4C8C-88E0-96089EB26413.thumb.jpeg.378a96fcacea6a3198ef4423ecc727fe.jpeg60A27F4E-B7DD-4E3C-98D1-2F01AB40F77A.thumb.jpeg.13fa780ca4c75bb3841ec098a25537a3.jpeg

Edited by fergs40
Added a line about the bone nut
  • Like 4

I am loving the early 70s font used for the "PRECISION BASS" decal.  I don't care that it technically predates Squier's existence (as an instrument brand) - the fact that they've taken the time to replicate that detail instead of using any old Letraset they had lying around is evidence to me that someone put some thought and care into these basses.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3