Why become a member? ×

Hello from the Costa Del Sol!

morrissey007

Hello All, Just joined, been playing guitar for 40 years, these days my Arthritis is slowing me down and I tried a friends bass the other day which was great fun! So I just bought a Sire U5 Short scale and now realize when it comes to Bass I''m a complete beginner, I don't know where to start, I have reasonable guitar theory (pentatonics and modes etc.) but struggling to apply this to Bass, so looking forward to chatting on here and hopefully getting some beginners lesson advice

• Like 1

You live in a golden age of online learning... Scott Devine (Scotts Bass Lessons https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTj3vCqkQIsrTGSm4kM34g), Mark Smith (https://www.talkingbass.net/) and a dozen others all post quality free videos on YouTube. Note you don't have to buy into paid-for content. All these people post useful free stuff

Two things helped me get off the ground: 1/ realising bass plays chords like guitar, only one note at a time b/ learning a handful of shapes on the fingerboard which can be moved around will give you everything you need.

Edited by lownote
  • Thanks 1

:crigon_04:

When I first started playing bass, it seemed as if my music collection grew massively overnight as I became far more aware of the bass on the recordings. Have a listen to yours and hear what the bass is doing, especially rhythmically, it’s not a bad way to learn your new role. Add to that the techniques available as mentioned in the online resources mentioned by @lownote and you should be well away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1