Why become a member? ×

Best music purchase of 2022?

SumOne

I think for me it would have to be an application called AbleSet, which is used for audio playback on Ableton. A fantastic piece of software from a solo developer that costs a third of Setlist, and frankly has better features! I do playback work from time to time and it changed the game for my friend and I.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

You press down a string on the neck with your left hand and pluck it over the plastic blocks on the body and it makes a sound. String a few together and you've got music! 

That would have suited you so much better if you’d said 

“What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It’s got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?”

I thought it was maybe a synth bass 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eric.C.Lapton said:

That would have suited you so much better if you’d said 

“What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It’s got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?”

I thought it was maybe a synth bass 

A missed opportunity as I'd be far more apy to play Rush on it than anything synth-stuff, but I have heard people using these with synth modules before (I suppose because the output signal is very clear across all registers). 

The obvious answer is the 1962 Gibson EB3 - pure joy to play and loaded with history. But I'm going to go for the filthy battered Irish bouzouki which I rescued from a dark corner of my local music shop and restored. That's a whole new world of music.

(Back story: my band fell apart in lockdown and I couldn't cope with practicing bass in isolation - it's against the grain of nature, it's just not what bass is for. So I took up mandolin as a temporary joke lockdown project and fell in love. The bouzouki is really an overgrown mandolin, so an easy next step. You know what they say, one musical instrument leads to another... 🙂 )

ps hiding behind the box is my beloved MarkBass combo - I have to protect its felt cover from the cat!

IMG_2095.JPG

• Like 1

On 26/12/2022 at 18:03, Chris2112 said:

Actually, I think this 2001 Basslab L-Bow was the only music gear I bought this year, but even in any other year it would surely have come first as it has one of the finest and most entertaining basses I've ever played. 

What's the neck like? From the dimensions they give, it sounds like it would be rather chunky.

@tauzero I suppose I'd struggle to say because I've never really found a neck I couldn't get on with. There have been a few that haven't been to my preference, but because I tend to get on well with most things I can tend to overlook the finer detail in neck dimensions.

Roughly speaking it's thinner than my Spector NS-5CR with a more pronounced 'D' shape with a flat back. It's a little thicker than my Bogart Blackstone. The flat fretboard is extremely comfortable to work with. The finish is extremely smooth and fast (I really don't like finished necks that feel tacky). Popping under the G string felt a little odd to me at first because of the scooped section of body there but I soon got used to it and I'm slapping all the bloody time on it now. 

• Like 1