Why become a member? ×

Can anyone ID this bass

TonyCanGroove

Hi Guys! I could really use your help on this. I've just picked up what I was told was either an Ashley Pangborn or TuneBass/Bad UK Bass guitars. There is space on the headstock where there could've been a badge but was told by the previous owner that it fell off years ago. Here are some details on it that aren't pictured. 

Neck Thru

Ebony Fretboard

Bartolini Pickups

Gold Hardware

Any help is appreciated. 

IMG_6651.HEIC IMG_6652.HEIC IMG_6653.HEIC IMG_6654.HEIC IMG_6644.HEIC IMG_6645.HEIC IMG_6646.HEIC IMG_6647.HEIC IMG_6648.HEIC IMG_6649.HEIC IMG_6650.HEIC

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TonyCanGroove said:

Hi Guys! I could really use your help on this. I've just picked up what I was told was either an Ashley Pangborn or TuneBass/Bad UK Bass guitars. There is space on the headstock where there could've been a badge but was told by the previous owner that it fell off years ago. Here are some details on it that aren't pictured. 

Neck Thru

Ebony Fretboard

Bartolini Pickups

Gold Hardware

Any help is appreciated. 

IMG_6651.HEIC 1014.54 kB · 5 downloads IMG_6652.HEIC 472.61 kB · 2 downloads IMG_6653.HEIC 343.13 kB · 1 download IMG_6654.HEIC 424.94 kB · 2 downloads IMG_6644.HEIC 674.85 kB · 3 downloads IMG_6645.HEIC 487.57 kB · 0 downloads IMG_6646.HEIC 311.95 kB · 2 downloads IMG_6647.HEIC 742.74 kB · 2 downloads IMG_6648.HEIC 556.85 kB · 1 download IMG_6649.HEIC 354.59 kB · 3 downloads IMG_6650.HEIC 693.1 kB · 1 download

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Didn't Ashley Pangborns have triangular headstocks, rather like SGC Nanyo but a bit more spearhead?

I totally agree. I've seen the spearhead design. I was told that this one was made by Ashley and his apprentice. But the headstock "plate" fell off several years ago which is located on the headstock where the hole is. I've seen Pangborns/Alembics have that plate on the headstock, and also the tuners are made in W. Germany so I assume its made in the mid-late 80's if thats the case before the Berlin wall fell in 89'. Still not too sure if it's something I can ID. It plats EXTEREMELY well and obviously has some nice high parts. Neck thru design I know was a premium thing for 80's basses. 

3 hours ago, NickA said:

DIY project?  That Smithalike neck joint looks pretty professional, but the headstock, cavity cover and the huge knot in the body wood ... not so much.

More importantly, how does it sound?

It sounds absolutely amazing. The sound is punchy and tight. Sounds/feels better than my more modern basses. Everything parts wise on the bass, as well as the finish on the top are very high quality bits. 

Edited by TonyCanGroove

On 19/12/2022 at 07:14, Bassassin said:

Looks like an ambitious home-build to me. Some very nice work but the detailing doesn't look pro standard.

Agree, that's not a Pangborn (and there would be two screw holes for the badge).

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1

Lado does look like a possibility, although the headstock is wrong, and the horns on Lados generally match - the one @AndyTravis has unearthed has top and bottom horns which both look like flaccid penises, and there are others which have sharp upper and lower horns, but there don't seem to be any with a flaccid penis top horn (well, maybe a semi) and a sharp bottom horn.

Edited by tauzero
Anatomical accuracy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Lado does look like a possibility, although the headstock is wrong, and the horns on Lados generally match - the one @AndyTravis has unearthed has top and bottom horns which both look like flaccid penises, and there are others which have sharp upper and lower horns, but there don't seem to be any with a flaccid penis top horn (well, maybe a semi) and a sharp bottom horn.

Flaccid penis, not a description you see applied to a bass every day.

Picture of Lado attached.

lf.jpeg

Edited by GeeCee

It looks like an older Schecter to me.....like from the Riot family or similar discontinued model.....the headstock looks hacked........not saying I'm right; just saying that's what it reminds me of......Edit: the fretboard does look like the Lado

Edited by Rib13Bass

Thanks for all the input. For what its worth, it's a great sounding/feeling bass. It's a keeper for sure. I for sure agree that some of the work looks pro level and it has pro parts. But certain details like the headstock, knot rear and such make it seem like its not. But it sounds good and plays good so its a keeper for me.