Why become a member? ×

ACG J-type 5 string - On hold pending payment and delivery - *SOLD*
£1250
Newcastle upon Tyne

Conan

This beautiful bass has been bought and sold a few times on here, and the asking price has varied considerably. As a result I am a bit unsure of its true value... For that reason, offers will be considered :sun_bespectacled:

It's enormously versatile due to the two single-coil pickups and 3-band John East preamp. The asymmetrical neck profile with flat(ish) radius is an absolute joy to play. For detailed specs please see the attached link to a previous ad.

It is the lightest fiver I've ever played at 3.7kg, which is just over 8lbs! 😲It balances perfectly too.

Although I've been lucky so far with couriers (touch wood!), I'm not keen on posting this. If a prospective buyer would like it to be shipped, I'll happily package it up safely (neck on or off) and pass on the dimensions, but I would rather leave the whole arrangement of a courier to you. I don't have a hard case, but it will be in a padded gigbag with additional packing in a stout cardboard box. Best I can do. Otherwise, I could deliver it (within reason) for fuel costs. I am often across in South West Scotland, so anywhere along (or close to) the A69/A75 corridor is easily accessible for delivery. Proximity to Stranraer makes Northern Ireland pretty doable too... Collection would be preferred though :santa:

Cash sale preferred, but I could be tempted by some trades. Only basses though (4 or 5 string) - I'm fine for amps, cabs, effects, etc. Always worth an ask!

Condition is good to very good, but it is not pristine. It's been loved, but it's been used, so there are a few minor marks and dents, few of which would show up in photos. More photos available on request. I have plenty of positive BC feedback - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/74959-feedback-for-conan/page/3/

IMG_3733.thumb.JPG.9d3f7f43b1a2c8beefdbf30cee5fb499.jpg.d00fa41856f87f312ef3c4c55689c09d.jpg

2019-12-06 11.17.27.jpg

2019-12-06 11.17.05.jpg

2019-12-06 11.17.44.jpg

Edited by Conan
Further price drop
  • Like 18

16 hours ago, Brother Jones said:

I owned this, and it's absolutely lovely. Really should not have let it go. 

I suspect I will feel the same way when (or if) I become the latest in its line of ex-owners 😉

2 hours ago, reggieboomboom said:

Didn't you buy it for £999? What's the reason for increase in value? 

Then 999 was a bargain as maybe the seller wanted a quick sale? I've sold lots of basses well under the 'market value' as I've wanted a quick sale and I've also bought a good few at real knock down prices. 

IMO, the asking price is very reasonable for a bass of this caliber and the seller is accepting offers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Then 999 was a bargain as maybe the seller wanted a quick sale? I've sold lots of basses well under the 'market value' as I've wanted a quick sale and I've also bought a good few at real knock down prices. 

IMO, the asking price is very reasonable for a bass of this caliber and the seller is accepting offers. 

It was a bargain - because, yes, I wanted a quick sale.

Frankly, it's worth a lot more even than is being asked for here. I suspect I'd prefer this to an NYC Sadowsky 5, for example, and certainly to a Metro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2022 at 18:16, reggieboomboom said:

Didn't you buy it for £999? What's the reason for increase in value? 

If you're interested in the bass, I'll happily discuss pricing via PM - which is polite, and certainly the way things used to be done around here! 😉

I've done my research. I am also well aware of some of the various prices that this instrument has sold for over the last few years. I alluded to this in my OP.

There are many reasons why people sell things, and desperation will often drive a lower price to get a quick sale. I'm not desperate for a quick sale, so maybe my asking price is a bit on the high side, I'm not really sure. ACGs are top-quality instruments, hand-made in the UK (Scotland to be precise), and cost a lot of money when bought new. However, their resale value does suffer compared to the obvious choices (Fenders in particular). However, look at what Wals now go for. Or Musicman basses. It was not that long ago that you could get a decent Stingray or Sterling for £700-800. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses too. I sold my last one for around £500, now they go for nearly twice that. Supply and demand. Market forces and all that... I know this and you know this, so I'm not sure what you are trying to elicit with your slightly provocative post 🤨

If this bass doesn't attract favourable attention at the current asking price, I may well reduce the price or accept a lower offer. That's how it works. But I'm certainly not trying to profiteer or rip anyone off, I'm simply entering the market at a price that I think is fair and reflects the value of this instrument.

I hope this answers the question :santa:

P.S. I actually got it for £800! 

Edited by Conan
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, Conan said:

If you're interested in the bass, I'll happily discuss pricing via PM - which is polite, and certainly the way things used to be done around here! 😉

I've done my research. I am also well aware of some of the various prices that this instrument has sold for over the last few years. I alluded to this in my OP.

There are many reasons why people sell things, and desperation will often drive a lower price to get a quick sale. I'm not desperate for a quick sale, so maybe my asking price is a bit on the high side, I'm not really sure. ACGs are top-quality instruments, hand-made in the UK (Scotland to be precise), and cost a lot of money when bought new. However, their resale value does suffer compared to the obvious choices (Fenders in particular). However, look at what Wals now go for. Or Musicman basses. It was not that long ago that you could get a decent Stingray or Sterling for £700-800. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses too. I sold my last one for around £500, now they go for nearly twice that. Supply and demand. Market forces and all that... I know this and you know this, so I'm not sure what you are trying to elicit with your slightly provocative post 🤨

If this bass doesn't attract favourable attention at the current asking price, I may well reduce the price or accept a lower offer. That's how it works. But I'm certainly not trying to profiteer or rip anyone off, I'm simply entering the market at a price that I think is fair and reflects the value of this instrument.

I hope this answers the question :santa:

You've been very diplomatic with your response, I'd have contacted admin and had the comment removed but fair play to you for being so transparent and good luck with your sale, it's a lovely guitar and no doubt worth the asking price.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, reggieboomboom said:

I meant no offence bud, I wondered if you had maybe done a few upgrades to the bass that was all. She is a beauty. 

Cool 😎 Absolutely no upgrades required as the parts and construction are all top-notch 🙂

• Like 1

• Conan changed the title to Black bass, Black Friday!! Huge price drop to £1000 - ACG J-type 5 string

From today until Christmas I'm taking a whopping £250* off the asking price - so grab a British, handmade bargain while you can!! :santa::santa::santa:

*£1000 is the price for a cash sale. Trade value is still £1250.

Edited by Conan
Cash Vs Trade values.
  • Like 5

• Conan changed the title to Huge price drop to £1000 (for cash) - ACG J-type 5 string
On 18/12/2022 at 20:41, Terry M. said:

What's the nut width please? 

Also is the preamp push/pull active-passive?

Nut width is (by my measurement) 47mm. As far as I'm aware there is no passive mode. Battery life is very long though, well over a year with typical usage 😎

Hope this is helpful 🙂

Edited by Conan

9 hours ago, Conan said:

Nut width is (by my measurement) 47mm. As far as I'm aware there is no passive mode. Battery life is very long though, well over a year with typical usage 😎

Hope this is helpful, but I'll take photos tomorrow and do some research re the preamp 🙂

That's very helpful indeed thank you :) 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2022 at 12:22, Conan said:

This is MY Black Friday! It's a black bass, with black strings (DR Black Beauties, not fitted, but I can throw them in as part of the deal), so what the heck.

From today until Christmas I'm taking a whopping £250* off the asking price - so grab a British, handmade bargain while you can!! :santa::santa::santa:

*£1000 is the price for a cash sale. Trade value is still £1250.

Only available at this reduced price until midnight on Christmas day 🎅

Act quickly for a big saving! 💰

• Like 1

• Conan changed the title to ON HOLD - ACG J-type 5 string
  • Conan changed the title to ACG J-type 5 string
  • Conan changed the title to ACG J-type 5 string - £1100 for cash!

Some lovely basses on here at the moment, and this is one of them! 😆

If cash is in short supply, hit me with some trade offers! Basses only, but my tastes are quite wide. Particularly keen on Fenders (especially J basses), Musicman and G&L (ideally M2500). Four string or five string...