Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chinese Necks off eBay.

NancyJohnson

I've had a few of the Kmise ones.

Quality is surprisingly good for the price, a bit of fret dressing was required on one but no more than many more expensive bass guitars.

I did have one that got stuck in a parcel centre in eastern Europe for several weeks. The seller refunded me only for it to randomly arrive about a month later. 

I bought a fretless unlined PBass rosewood one, that turned out to be simply a poly coated unfretted board so had the side dots as per a fretted, nut cut as fretted and the rosewood is probably technical wood or Richlite or the like, but it works fine, plays fine once the nut was filed right, sounds okay and looks okay. And was super packaged in custom moulded polystyrene box and arrived in about 10 days with no extra customs hit. It was iirc £67

Edited by Aidan63
added detail

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm curious, has anyone bought one of those Chinese sub-£100 Fender-styled necks off eBay?

I have a project incoming from a mate and have been asked to source an inexpensive neck ("not a maple board").

Yes. It didn't go well... 

I ordered a lefty fender p style neck in black with black headstock and pearl blocks. I got a right handed all maple (I assume it was maple) neck with multiple issues like tuner holes not being drilled straight. There were other issues too. Too costly to send back, they agreed to refunding a big chunk of the cost and I sold it here on BC with full disclosure of issues to recover the cost I was left with. 

I solved the issue by being patient and waiting for a used Fender neck to turn up on eBay. 

I've had a couple of Strat ones that were really big profile but actually felt good. I also ordered a fat profile for a 51 P I knocked up a few years ago, Sadly, they made the headstock a few mm longer than it should have been. I couldn't trim it as that would have made the tuner baseplate proud of the headstock. Also, after a few months the rod develop a rattle.

I had a few Kmise maple neck & fret board Jazz types and were fine, really good value for money. But the best ones were from "jingwan" maple neck & fret board, white bound with MoP(?) block inlays and gloss finish. Two were '51 P type with Jazz wideth neck and one was typical Jazz type. All three were great, delivered within a week and you can see the results on some of my Build diaries. As @Aidan63 said the seller seems to have disappeared off the Bay.

• Like 1

Bought necks from Kmise UK and Jinwan.

The Kmise necks were something daft like £24, 3 maybe 4 year down the line still well impressed by them.

I also found the Kmise UK folks to be up front and honest. I placed an order just as China went into lockdown then had a message from them saying they expected some delays and it'd be best to cancel and find the parts elsewhere. Being an derrière I told them it was OK and I'd wait , took them 6 weeks of messages before I followed their advice 😆 Another time they miss some eBay time limit for shipping, that message was " We've run late with dispatch so refunded your money but goods are in transit. Could you contact us when the neck arrives so we can issue an invoice."

Couple of days later the neck turned up, I asked for the bill and happily paid the balance.

Have 4 necks from Jinwan, not through eBay but their Ali-Ex store front; worked out cheaper  🙂 

Proper chunky 51 P-bass necks, been very happy with those as well.

3rd eBay seller to look at is 'twincam'. Willie gets the same necks/bodies as the 'Musicily' brand sells, ships from England so you won't be waiting long.

• Like 1