Why become a member? ×

Tech Soundsystems Black Cat; transformer death x2 this could be terminal... unless

warwickhunt

image.thumb.png.047326971c8282a05b91b78a52774d2c.png

I owned this amp from new, sold it on BC and bought it back but sadly it looks like it is now destined for the bin as the transformer which delivers voltage to the valve front end has died for the 2nd time.  The guy who first replaced the original transformer binned the dead unit (despite me asking him to keep it), when it died the 2nd time I used a different repair guy who had to source a unit from Eastern Europe... but this is fried.  I hasten to add that the amp is my back up and when it died the 2nd time it had 5 hours use in the house!  There is obviously a secondary issue here but neither tech found anything to indicate why they are dying.  IF I can get a replacement I'll be sure that some form of diagnosis is followed up to see what, if any, is the issue

It is a long shot but does anyone have one of these amps and can give me info from their original transformer or even better, does anyone have an amp that has other issues that they'd sell 'spares/repairs'?

That's pity as this was a terrific sounding amp when it was working properly. I only sold it back to you because I have moved to an ampless setup.

However, during the time I owned it, I found it was somewhat temperamental regarding the electricity supply it was presented with. On 3 or 4 occasions at gigs it went into some sort of "protect" mode and could not be persuaded to produce any more sound for the rest of the evening. Plugging it back in at home the following day would always result in it working perfectly.

Have you tried getting in touch with Thomas Eich? I believe that he will still repair old TecAmp/Tech Soundystems gear if he has the parts.

• Like 1

Cheers folks.  

Yes I tried Tecamp but they basically said it was old/obsolete and they didn't carry spares.  :/  

I may well try Tecamp again and as @Bill Fitzmaurice has suggested try and get a schematic.  Both repair guys said it was a straightforward job as the transformer was only for the 3 valve front end (class D output) but clearly not!  :(  

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

Yes I tried Tecamp but they basically said it was old/obsolete and they didn't carry spares.  :/  

Did you try TecAmp or EICH?

IIRC the name TecAmp is now owned by some US concern and have almost nothing to do with the original company.

The designer of the amp is Thomas Eich who now runs EICH Amplification, and he is more likely to be able to help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

What is special about the transformer?

You just need to know the rating and the output voltage and you can replace it with something else. That should be marked on it somewhere as VA.

You'd think so but whatever the issue is, I'd rather not have to buy and have a 3rd transformer fitted and have it fry on me.  :/  

Hell of a long shot but try Mike Walsh, Zoot Bass.

IIRC he was the importer of Tech Amp gear when he had his shop. I'm sure when I spoke to him once he told me he had to deal with warranty claims for the UK so would have had repair contacts here.

A lot of water under the bridge since then but you never know.

• Like 1

Does the company actually still exist?

A decent engineer should be able to run the amp up on a temporary supply and determine what it uses on full load and size a transformer to suit and at the same time determine why the other ones were failing. 

• Like 1

The transformer for the valves will have two secondaries:

A few mA at say 200-300V DC for the HT;

About 1A at 6.3V AC or 0.5A at 12.6V AC for the heaters.

It sounds like there is a fault whereby one of the secondaries is seeing a near-short. A tech should be able to detect this without burning out the transformer, by slowly raising the supply voltage via a variac and a dim bulb tester.

I hope you get this fixed but if not, don’t bin it without letting me make an offer on a spares-or-repair basis.

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Does the company actually still exist?

A decent engineer should be able to run the amp up on a temporary supply and determine what it uses on full load and size a transformer to suit and at the same time determine why the other ones were failing. 

Thomas Eich went from Tech Sound to Tecamp to Eich!

17 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

The transformer for the valves will have two secondaries:

A few mA at say 200-300V DC for the HT;

About 1A at 6.3V AC or 0.5A at 12.6V AC for the heaters.

It sounds like there is a fault whereby one of the secondaries is seeing a near-short. A tech should be able to detect this without burning out the transformer, by slowly raising the supply voltage via a variac and a dim bulb tester.

I hope you get this fixed but if not, don’t bin it without letting me make an offer on a spares-or-repair basis.

The guy who did the last work said that he was finding it hard to source the part as it was dual core (that might be my recall of what he said) and ended up getting it from Eastern Europe as a special order... for what good it did!  Possibly the part wasn't genuinely compatible but without finding a competent repair guy who won't end up charging more than the amp is worth even after the repair, I want to get all the info I can to support the repair.  

40 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Lots of room around the offending article!  

Yeah, just about any transformer of the right spec would fit in that space. I wonder if the tech felt he had to stick with a toroidal rather than go drilling holes to accommodate a conventional one. Although toroidals can be less noisy, that is predicated on pointing the cable exit/entry holes away from sensitive circuitry.

• Like 1

That's a pretty early build, before they started using ICEpower modules.

You are probably going to have to find somebody qualified to reverse-engineer the power supply to determine what's really needed to be reliable. So far, you have succeeded in discovering a couple of ways it doesn't work...

Does anybody know how many of these amps might have been built? This may explain why there are no spare parts available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

image.thumb.png.9bd05a3f0e1363b4cad5678a23224038.png

That’s a powersoft digimod top right - what’s the model number? Some of them have their own power supply section….The power amp section of the amp might be powered separately than the preamp … which might make everything simpler 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

That’s a powersoft digimod top right - what’s the model number? Some of them have their own power supply section….The power amp section of the amp might be powered separately than the preamp … which might make everything simpler 

Yes I believe the transformer is purely for the preamp / valves.