Why become a member? ×

Tech Soundsystems Black Cat; transformer death x2 this could be terminal... unless

warwickhunt

Looking at what has happened to that transformer, and the fact that its replacement has also died (has it displayed the same overheating symptoms?) would suggest to me that there is a fault somewhere in the pre-amp that is causing this and you/your tech will need to sort this out as well as replacing the transformer.

• Like 1

No warning leading to either transformer failing (oddly it never exhibited any of the issues you had, when I used it).  I'm waiting to get the amp back from the Tech but the faint whiff of smoke when it died on me leads me to assume it is the same issue... which means there is an underlying problem.  I'd like to hope it is a fault and not a design oversight!  

The Tech who fitted the last transformer has offered a full refund but as he couldn't identify what lead to the failure he hasn't taken up the job of fitting the next transformer (if I can find a suitable one).  

28 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

No warning leading to either transformer failing (oddly it never exhibited any of the issues you had, when I used it).  I'm waiting to get the amp back from the Tech but the faint whiff of smoke when it died on me leads me to assume it is the same issue... which means there is an underlying problem.  I'd like to hope it is a fault and not a design oversight!  

The Tech who fitted the last transformer has offered a full refund but as he couldn't identify what lead to the failure he hasn't taken up the job of fitting the next transformer (if I can find a suitable one).  

Considering that the amp has run for at least 15 years before this problem occurred and then has occurred twice in a short period of time, would suggest to be a new fault has developed somewhere else in the pre-amp. 

• Like 2

0.8amps at 12V is tiny. Stick it into any amp repair shop and they'll fix your issue and fit a replacement. 9.6 VA (Watts) must be preamp. 

I think you're overthinking this. A transformer is a transformer. Basic component. 

Edited by TimR

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

0.8amps at 12V is tiny. Stick it into any amp repair shop and they'll fix your issue and fit a replacement. 9.6 VA (Watts) must be preamp. 

I think you're overthinking this. A transformer is a transformer. Basic component. 

I did.  :(  

I've had it repaired once... with a basic component and it worked flawlessly for <5 hours!

12 minutes ago, TimR said:

That will be the secondary for the heater filaments, connected in series. That’s where the ‘12’ in 12AX7 comes from. There should be more than enough there to run 3 preamp valves.

I can’t read the label well enough to work out the spec for the HT secondary, and so far I’ve got nowhere Googling bits of the text printed on it.

• Like 2

Unfortunately it may well be custom wound as I think I can spot the words "Tech Bass" on the side and none of the codes appear to correspond with any of those on the 12V 0.8A standard transformer spec sheet. I wonder if the two secondaries are different for the pre-amp circuit and the valve heaters?

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately it may well be custom wound as I think I can spot the words "Tech Bass" on the side and none of the codes appear to correspond with any of those on the 12V 0.8A standard transformer spec sheet. I wonder if the two secondaries are different for the pre-amp circuit and the valve heaters?

I'm very much at the mercy of you guys as I've no tech knowledge.  However, I'd suspect it is custom which would account for the stock replacement burning out.  Briefly spoke to someone in the UK office and I've fired off those pics to them but I suspect it'll not have the important info that they'd need to identify it.  :/ 

1 hour ago, TimR said:

You could even replace it with two separate ones if there's space and it's cheaper. 

12v is heater, and then there's the preamp which could be running anywhere from 9v to 200v+ - wouldn't you need to know that to spec a transformer? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

You could even replace it with two separate ones if there's space and it's cheaper. 

12v is heater, and then there's the preamp which could be running anywhere from 9v to 200v+ - wouldn't you need to know that to spec a transformer? 

Yes. But if you took it to a transformer builder they could disassemble it, count the windings and build a new one. 

They're not mystical objects. 

It doesn't look like a very big transformer. What's the amp rated at? 

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

It doesn't look like a very big transformer. What's the amp rated at? 

2 x 500 watts 4 ohms  / 1 x 1000 watts 8 ohms bridged... confusing labelling on the amp itself as it says 2/4 ohms but never run bridged and never below 4 ohms.

Bear in mind the power section is class D and transformer is just for preamp valves.  

Just now, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The amp rating is moot, the transformer only powers the pre-amp tubes. I agree that the only reason it would blow is if there's something downstream is drawing a lot more current than it should be.

I alluded to that earlier but don't have enough tech education to know how that works.  

Could it be that the power module is too big for the front end to power... am I simplifying the language?  

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

I alluded to that earlier but don't have enough tech education to know how that works.  

Could it be that the power module is too big for the front end to power... am I simplifying the language?  

I would imagine the pre and digimod are completely separate circuits. 

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

They are. 

The unit top right in the photo is the power amp and is totally self-contained. Everything else in the case is for the pre-amp valves and controls.

In layman's terms can anything in the power section/output affect what happens before it?  Could the output / power section be the cause of the transformer burn out?