Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 tribute QA/QC

mario_buoninfante

Hi all,

I just got a G&L L2000 Tribute (Lefty) made in Indonesia, and wanted to share some thoughts and get some feedback too.
First thing I'd like to say is that, I like the bass. I really like it. Both sound and feeling (I'd have never thought I'd like so much that chunky neck!).
That said, one thing I was a bit surprised was the overall quality, especially after reading so much about it all over the internet.
Again, before I share the things that surprised me a little bit, I'd like to also say that in general I think the quality is really high for what I paid, and also more in general is a good quality instrument that feels solid, playable, etc..

So, here's my findings (most of them with attached picture)

• the nut isn't well finished and is a bit "worn" around the strings (the inside is fine)
  • there was quite a lot of white dust in most of the 6 bolts (not a big deal for sure)
  • next to one of the bolt edges there was something like a sticker residue (easy to get rid of)
  • 1 of the 3 switches has the washer mounted in a different direction compared to the other 2 (they have a little "tongue")
  • the fretting job isn't really excellent - frets themselves are good (no sharp ones), but on the side of the fretboard you can see some marks
  • there are at least 2 indents, 1 on headstock next to the 1st tuner machine, 1 on the body where it joins the neck
  • the action is good but I had to work on the intonation a little bit
  • once I setup the instrument (I moved the saddles in order to work on the intonation, that is really good now), I noticed that the bridge lock (the little peg that pushes the saddles) barely touches the E string saddle (that I had to push a little bit towards the bridge)
  • the 3 knobs are a little bit "askew"

As a benchmark, I also have a Spector Legend Classic 4 (maybe slightly more expensive, but roughly in the same ball park), and there I haven't seen any of these issues.
I was just curious to see whether or not this is something other people have found on their G&L Tribute too.
For the records, none of these things are a show-stopper for me. I'm fine with instruments not being perfect, as long as there aren't major issues and the functionality hasn't been affected/compromised at all.

Also, I think something in my list might have been done at the shop, but certain things are definitely things that came with the instrument.

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-11.jpg

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-13.jpg

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-14.jpg

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-15 (2).jpg

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-16 (2).jpg

photo_2022-11-06_17-50-17.jpg

Edited by mario_buoninfante

I think I know what's the issue with the saddle-lock.

They use (at least on this bass, I don't know if it's true on all the lefties out there) the same bridge they use on the right-handed version!

The screw is on the same side (towards me on my bass, towards the pots on the RH version).

The problem with that is that the E string saddle usually is closer to the bridge that the G string saddle, so the peg is not located at the right height!

@JottoSW1 I think you bought an L2000 tribute, right? Could you let me know if your bridge has the same issue? And if the saddle-lock screw is on the top side of the bridge?

I got to know about the guitarguitar deal via your post on the Southpaw Spotted thread, that's why I'm asking :P

I've had 2 x L-2000s over time (both Tribute). I decided to try one out in GuitarGuitar a few weeks ago to remind myself what they're like, and the quality had massively declined compared to the ones I'd had 5-10 years ago. Setup are personal, but the main issues were quality and finishing QC (bad paint job, loose parts etc). Add that to the price on them going up - I'd be looking 2nd hand if I wanted one currently.

Pic 1 - burst has terrible paint spatter, not good enough on a £600 instrument

Pic 2 - it appears they moved from ash to poplar bodies also which helps them look like cheap Squiers now

image.thumb.png.edd9616924096b40c7cb9642b2d85e8e.png

image.thumb.png.47f2e01d188963b2fbd03cc74d564148.png

• Like 1

I decided to write G&L and ask about the bridge and here's the answer:

the bridge on the right and left handed L2000 are the same, as long as the saddle lock is making contact with the saddle it is okay.

I replied that in my case I believe it's borderline, but OK. I also believe that this is an issue though. All instruments have tolerance, and on some other basses this could be a bigger issue.

On 06/11/2022 at 19:37, mario_buoninfante said:

They use (at least on this bass, I don't know if it's true on all the lefties out there) the same bridge they use on the right-handed version!

The screw is on the same side (towards me on my bass, towards the pots on the RH version).

The problem with that is that the E string saddle usually is closer to the bridge that the G string saddle, so the peg is not located at the right height!

@JottoSW1 I think you bought an L2000 tribute, right? Could you let me know if your bridge has the same issue? And if the saddle-lock screw is on the top side of the bridge?

I got to know about the guitarguitar deal via your post on the Southpaw Spotted thread, that's why I'm asking :P

Your bridge is a right handed bridge fitted upside down. Hence the saddle lock has puched the saddles out of line. Photo of my right hand 5 string.

Also the little loccking luge on the switch washers is in different placed on all thre G&L Legacy basses I own. It appears sometimes it is the only way to fit them into the cavity without rewiring the whole thing.

On one of mine I also found sawdust shavings in the neck pocket that pushed the neck to one side and slighty twisted. Once removed the action could be set perfectly.

I don't have an answer as to how to straighten your saddles other than some filling etc I would be inclined to go back to Guitar Guitar and ask the question. Why is this fitted with a right hand bridge. It may be an assembly mistake at the factory otherwise all lefties are going to be like this. Not good for a bass that is fantastic in most other areas.

Hope that helps.16678896618391148831560891302544.thumb.jpg.15aa7c925cbc3680aa56682104673e4e.jpg

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

Your bridge is a right handed bridge fitted upside down. Hence the saddle lock has puched the saddles out of line. Photo of my right hand 5 string.

Also the little loccking luge on the switch washers is in different placed on all thre G&L Legacy basses I own. It appears sometimes it is the only way to fit them into the cavity without rewiring the whole thing.

On one of mine I also found sawdust shavings in the neck pocket that pushed the neck to one side and slighty twisted. Once removed the action could be set perfectly.

I don't have an answer as to how to straighten your saddles other than some filling etc I would be inclined to go back to Guitar Guitar and ask the question. Why is this fitted with a right hand bridge. It may be an assembly mistake at the factory otherwise all lefties are going to be like this. Not good for a bass that is fantastic in most other areas.

Hope that helps.16678896618391148831560891302544.thumb.jpg.15aa7c925cbc3680aa56682104673e4e.jpg

Yeah, I got in touch with G&L, their reply is above.
Again, nothing is really a major issue, but I was surprised by all these little things I found on the bass.
It's OK though.
Thanks for sharing your experience ;)

• Like 1

When I went 5-string shopping earlier in the year, I got GuitarGuitar to order in a L2500 in Jet Frost, and much like you, I had heard nothing but great reports of QC. But, calling a spade, a spade, here, it was utterly shoddy. White stains in the lacquer by the neck pocket, poor fret ends and nut, loose tuners and worst of all, a set-up that was beggars belief in how that ever left the factory. The strings were resting on the pole pieces and sticking to them due to the magentization. No neck relief. It was a complete dog. 

Something must be going on at their factory, as I've seen QC issues reported elsewhere recently.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 40hz said:

When I went 5-string shopping earlier in the year, I got GuitarGuitar to order in a L2500 in Jet Frost, and much like you, I had heard nothing but great reports of QC. But, calling a spade, a spade, here, it was utterly shoddy. White stains in the lacquer by the neck pocket, poor fret ends and nut, loose tuners and worst of all, a set-up that was beggars belief in how that ever left the factory. The strings were resting on the pole pieces and sticking to them due to the magentization. No neck relief. It was a complete dog. 

Something must be going on at their factory, as I've seen QC issues reported elsewhere recently.

Did you accept it and put it right or did the store sort it out? It it now OK? It seems to me there must be a lack of training of basic setups at the factory. I believe they are earning a bad reputation for what are fabulous guitars for the sake of a proper setup. The bones are all there as is the electronics. They are worth their money easily once sorted and more.

Yeh it's alright G&L we will finish them for you but you are loosing potential owners hand over fist from people that cant finish them off themselves.

Strangely enough my 5 string came set up so well I haven't even felt the need to dressed the frets yet. Ends are fine although the frets would benefit from a polish. Just goes to show the odd good one does get through🤣

Edited by Ralf1e

7 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Did you accept it and put it right or did the store sort it out? It it now OK? It seems to me there must be a lack of training of basic setups at the factory. I believe they are earning a bad reputation for what are fabulous guitars for the sake of a proper setup. The bones are all there as is the electronics. They are worth their money easily once sorted and more.

Yeh it's alright G&L we will finish them for you but you are loosing potential owners hand over fist from people that cant finish them off themselves.

Strangely enough my 5 string came set up so well I haven't even felt the need to dressed the frets yet. Ends are fine although the frets would benefit from a polish. Just goes to show the odd good one does get through🤣

I rejected it there and then and went and bought a far superior MTD instead!

@40hz thanks for sharing your experience, sad to hear though.
I have to say, that despite all the things I reported here, the bass sounds and feels really good. but again, as @Ralf1e was saying, this shows the lack of quality control more than anything else. things should be consistent within an acceptable tolerance.

(without trying to blame guitarguitar) at the same time, I'm surprised that at the shop nobody noticed these things though. I believe they should check the goods and report issues like these.

• Like 2

I can only speak with clarity about my one recent G&L Tribute (an LB-100, bought in Dec 2021), but nothing springs to mind about ones I've had in the past.  The only flaws I found were as follows:

Furry nut slots - yeah, a bit untidy, I picked away the swarf because it bugged me.

Shielding - fscking awful, partially daubed shielding paint in the control cavity.  I lined it with copper tape.

Knobs - I don't recall them being askew - I replaced them with flat tops because I think the dome tops look cheap - just a personal preference.

No fit, finish or fretting issues on mine.

As far as setup goes, I really don't care - I do my own setups anyway.  I don't expect a bass to arrive set up for me so I don't think it's fair to list any setup issues in a critique of a newly arrived bass unless it was so far out of whack as to be unplayable.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I can only speak with clarity about my one recent G&L Tribute (an LB-100, bought in Dec 2021), but nothing springs to mind about ones I've had in the past.  The only flaws I found were as follows:

Furry nut slots - yeah, a bit untidy, I picked away the swarf because it bugged me.

Shielding - fscking awful, partially daubed shielding paint in the control cavity.  I lined it with copper tape.

Knobs - I don't recall them being askew - I replaced them with flat tops because I think the dome tops look cheap - just a personal preference.

As far as setup goes, I really don't care - I do my own setups anyway.  I don't expect a bass to arrive set up for me so I don't think it's fair to list any setup issues in a critique of a newly arrived bass unless it was so far out of whack as to be unplayable.

thanks for sharing. it all makes sense.
about the bass setup, I partly agree and partly disagree.

I wouldn't care too much if the action is a bit off, since it's a subjective thing ("off" means too high for some but too low for others). But intonation is a different matter though. it's not about tastes. something it's either in tune or not.
BTW on mine the action was OK, just a little bit of buzz on the E string (solved now), and the intonation wasn't miles off, but it was off though. and that is more important to me.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

It is fair in this Instance. It was the worst I have ever seen. It was so far out of whack as to be unplayable. I reiterate - how that left the factory and was signed off, is utterly beyond me. I appreciate this is not everyone's experience, totally. But it was mine, sadly.

4 minutes ago, 40hz said:

It is fair in this Instance. It was the worst I have ever seen. It was so far out of whack as to be unplayable. I reiterate - how that left the factory and was signed off, is utterly beyond me. I appreciate this is not everyone's experience, totally. But it was mine, sadly.

That's pretty annoying (and I conceded that it was noteworthy if it was unplayable), but I appreciate your not extrapolating that out to cover the entire output of the whole factory.

On 06/11/2022 at 20:37, mario_buoninfante said:

Yes, this. I've owned 4 American G&L's (not Tributes) of which 3 had the Saddle Lock bridge. 2 of those are guitars. On my current ASAT Special, the saddle lock only barely touches the low E saddle. On my previous ASAT Special and my SB-2 it didn't touch at all. The 4th was a Legacy Special guitar with a trem, no issues there. I never took an issue with this, I don't really mind the saddle lock feature because I feel it pushes all 6 saddles slightly off-center when tightened and it doesn't add a noticeable benefit as far as transfer of vibrations goes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 19:37, mario_buoninfante said:

Sorry for the delay replying haven't been on Basschat for a while.

Yes, there were a few faults, worst was the nut protruding a good 2 or 3 mm on the E string side. As I have a dremel and a selection of diamond files I fixed it myself.

My bridge seems fine with regard to string alignment , locking screw means Bridge is upside down as you say.

This is the same on a Fallout Tribute that I bought second hand a while ago, this also had a few ropey bits finish wise.

I'm wondering if Guitar Guitar decided to unload some B-Stock which does seem a bit underhand! Did you keep or return yours? Almost wish I'd picked up a Jack Cassady instead but happy enough.

However they both play and sound great though I'm going to tweak the set-ups and maybe out some flats on the Fallout. Thought I'd given up 4 strings?!!

Edging steadily towards too many Basses having picked up 2 acoustics as well in last few months.

• Like 1

I see, so QC there is definitely not great.

Such a shame because they are really good basses. comfortable and with a massive, massive sound (way above the price point).
I kept mine and am really happy with it. But I think it wouldn't have taken too much to avoid the things I listed above.
Anyway, it is what it is :)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Like 1

These things are an aberration even if properly made - who signed off on this?

People who know G&L wouldn't touch these with a barge pole.  People who don't know G&L and get one in the state Lobster received his will never buy G&L ever again.

Maybe they're trying to cement their cult status by making newcomers think their instruments are awful?

Edited by neepheid

1 hour ago, Machines said:

Not an L-2000, but further fuel to support that G&L Tribute QC has gone down the pan

Yes, I thought it was called that too.

His video for the LB-100 also mentions multiple QC issues. 

1 minute ago, gjones said:

I notice a L2000 tribute is on Guitar Guitar website with a very big reduction. I wonder if it's a stinker?

By the way I own a G&L tribute L2500 and the QC is excellent.

Looks like they have 2, one of which I tried in Birmingham, and yes it was not good.

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

I notice a L2000 tribute is on Guitar Guitar website with a very big reduction. I wonder if it's a stinker?

myself and other people on BC got ours from GuitarGuitar.
mine had few minor issues (see 1st comment) but tbh it's a great bass!
this not to say I'm OK with that. QC should be improved to allow instruments to be consistently good!

10 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

myself and other people on BC got ours from GuitarGuitar.
mine had few minor issues (see 1st comment) but tbh it's a great bass!
this not to say I'm OK with that. QC should be improved to allow instruments to be consistently good!

I think the theme here is that it's not that you have a bad bass, but if you'd bought the same thing several years ago, it would have been better.

• Like 2