Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Vantage 80's Bass - Matsumoku - SOLD

skankdelvar

[size=3][color="#FF0000"][b]SOLD[/b][/color][/size] [size=1](proof that hypnosis really works)[/size]

Recently re-acquired a long-term loaner - a Vantage Bass / 80's time machine. Bought S/H in 1986 in Kent, it's variously been gigged, ignored, left to fester in the spare room, lent out and brought back.

Now, I'm not sure if it's a VS or a VP, or whatever - I'm sure someone like Bassassin could clear this mystery up.

Low action, buzz-free, flat neck relief and a very nice sound - the twin p-configuration makes for some interesting tones. It has a hefty 3-point bridge, rather than the Fender bent-tin copy and a set neck. All hardware solid.

It also has a fair few dings (worst ones shown in pics), but is structurally sound as the proverbial. Missing the pick-up selector switch-cap, but a cream replacement should set only you back a couple of quid or so.

Now I haven't a clue what these are worth, whether it's rare or what. So - trade for something Squier / Fender-ish - what ya got?

Or make me an offer over, say, £150. (If that's way out of line either way, please PM me you Jap-Crap experts...)

[attachment=24167:vantageedit1.jpg] [attachment=24168:vantageedit2.jpg] [attachment=24169:vantageedit3.jpg] [attachment=24170:vantageedit4.jpg]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='silddx' post='468221' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:54 AM']These basses are far from crap, they were extremely good in fact. My Vantage VS600 guitar was a real player and tone monster. Woods, contruction, hardware, pups, all good.[/quote]

+1

I had one of these basses many moons ago (single p bass pickup)...... it was a stonkin' bass!

Mart

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='468265' date='Apr 21 2009, 11:33 AM']+1

I had one of these basses many moons ago (single p bass pickup)...... it was a stonkin' bass!

Mart[/quote]

+2 I had one too, the second bass i ever owned, it was al maple with a couple of rosewood stringers, with a single dimarzio p bass pickup, it had a really thin comfortable neck and sounded fantastic, and my dad bought it for me for £20 what a bargain!! i very foolishly traded it in for a sh*t hohner fretless, id have this off you but i like being married!!- bump - lee

Apologies for hijacking this thread - second bass I owned too - still got it :rolleyes:
Bought it from Ned Scrumpo's Emporium of Goodies (I kid you not) in the late 80's, I was told at the time that it was "a poor mans Aria" and was made in the same factory. Defretted it in the late 90's :) wish I hadn't now.
I seem to remember mine was listed as a "Vantage Mystic"

I still play it occasionally, surprisingly good for a home-defret. I'd be interested to know if these are worth anything and any history behind Vantage.

Cheers

Edited by muzzer

[quote name='muzzer' post='469778' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:40 PM']I was told at the time that it was "a poor mans Aria".... I'd be interested to know if these are worth anything .....[/quote]

Ooooh, at least in excess of £150, being as it's a "Rich Man's ..er...something".

I note yours has the standard (?) rather tasteful scroll V, with the Vantage name along the headstock. Mine just has the name [i]across [/i]the headstock.

Mine's probably a rare example made by the legendary monopedal luthier Hiro 'Leggy' Yamamoto and all the more valuable for that :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='muzzer' post='469778' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:40 PM']w.
I seem to remember mine was listed as a "Vantage Mystic"

Cheers[/quote]

Mystic sounds so much more funky than VP710b :)

By the way Muzz - whats that stonking looking bass in your Av ?

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' post='469789' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:50 PM']By the way Muzz - whats that stonking looking bass in your Av ?[/quote]

It's his number 2 bass; for use if he breaks a string on the Vantage. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='469799' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:58 PM']I can't figure out why I like this so much. Maybe because its been cradled in the arms of Skank?

Swoon.[/quote]

I'm not just a sex object. I've got a beautiful mind as well.

The bass in my Avatar is one made by our very own Chopthebass, though I think he's moved to New Zealand or somewhere nice now.
Here she is:

'Scuse the crap photo - David Bailey I'm not :)

[quote name='fleabag' post='469789' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:50 PM']Mystic sounds so much more funky than VP710b :rolleyes:

By the way Muzz - whats that stonking looking bass in your Av ?[/quote]

Edited by muzzer

I know the Ibanez Musicians were from the same factory - didn't realise they were so similar till I saw this !

Bear in mind I swapped my MC900 for a Musicman Stingray (and the offer was made to me) - these are very well made instruments and for £150 this is crazy.

[quote name='Machines' post='469825' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:24 PM']I know the Ibanez Musicians were from the same factory - didn't realise they were so similar till I saw this !

Bear in mind I swapped my MC900 for a Musicman Stingray (and the offer was made to me) - these are very well made instruments and for £150 this is crazy.[/quote]

Crisp tenner in the post, usual deniability...

[quote name='muzzer' post='469816' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:16 PM']The bass in my Avatar is one made by our very own Chopthebass, though I think he's moved to New Zealand or somewhere nice now.
Here she is:

'Scuse the crap photo - David Bailey I'm not :)[/quote]

A real cracker and no mistake :rolleyes:

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='Machines' post='469825' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:24 PM']I know the Ibanez Musicians were from the same factory - didn't realise they were so similar till I saw this[/quote]
Actually - they weren't. This was from Matsumoku, as were Arias, Westones & Westburys, while Ibanez came from Fujigen Gakki - who at the same point were getting into gear making MIJ Squiers & Fenders.

This Vantage is a total steal at £150 - why is it still here?

Jon.