Why become a member? ×

Help to identity flatwounds please.

MungoBass

15 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got adagio’s on one of my jazzes, the silk isn’t as bright as the pic , but they are about 7 years old, could they be, TI’s or rotosound ?

They came out of my old string box and have probably been there for the best part of 10 years - hence why I couldn’t remember!

I have TIs on a Jazz and Precision and am fairly sure they are not the same as either of those.

I certainly used Rotos in the past, so after your input, am pretty sure that’s what they are. Thank you!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Do they feel stiff? If so then they are probably Rotosounds. 

They certainly have greater tension than TIs and La Bellas I have used. 

I do now now think they are Rotosounds - thanks for your help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MungoBass said:

They certainly have greater tension than TIs and La Bellas I have used. 

I do now now think they are Rotosounds - thanks for your help.

Higher tension than LaBella’s, jeez they must be like playing a reinforcement bar 😂 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Higher tension than LaBella’s, jeez they must be like playing a reinforcement bar 😂 

Yeah Labellas are like bridge cables, I remember a while back somehow someone managed to get tension data for the 760fl set which is meant to be there light tension set and the tension was around 185ibs or so, not exactly light tension, can only imagine how much tension the heavier sets are. 

They are also stiff in addition to being high tension, it is this stiffness imo that causes them to snap if you try and string them through body

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Don't Rotos have red white and blue ball ends?

I believe they do now, but these are at least 10 years old. Found them in my spare string drawer! Not sure if they used coloured ball ends back then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassybert said:

They seem okay to me…..

When I say more tension than La Bellas I am a recent convert to their Low Tension Flats, so that was my comparison!