Why become a member? ×

strap buttons

davy c

Hi, I use a 2001 German fretless 4 string thumb bass; Bubinga body. Stupidly a few years back I installed strap locks and have never been happy with them. I would like to go back to plain old black Warwick strap buttons but cant seem to find any and when i do they are usually gold. any advice on this would be appreciated.  

I’ve used these for some years https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323820720590

they are Gotoh large size strap button/holders that hold strap really well and can also manage to take the good old grolsch type rubber bottle washer for added secureness. Or buy these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Strap-Blocks-2-Pair/dp/B00B5LDMH6/ref=asc_df_B00B5LDMH6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310810391039&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16361758994654098986&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045763&hvtargid=pla-406164098313&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Edited by mybass

On 26/10/2022 at 01:13, davy c said:

Hi, I use a 2001 German fretless 4 string thumb bass; Bubinga body. Stupidly a few years back I installed strap locks and have never been happy with them. I would like to go back to plain old black Warwick strap buttons but cant seem to find any and when i do they are usually gold. any advice on this would be appreciated.  

I wouldn't use the regular Warwick straplocks - they are rubbish. You can find videos online of people wiggling their straps loose from them with little effort. Plenty of corresponding horror stories as well.

Warwick have recently released a "new" design of their straplocks which looks "incredibly similar" to Schaller straplocks - but half the price. You could try them...

These simple rubber washer strap locks works great, these specific ones are Harley Benton, which are the cheapest, though they don't cost much regardless, and Fender and Ernie Ball makes identical ones, comes in grey color too:

image.png.13754a69ccf7b18c8be798be4abe08b9.png

Works like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

0224-1-in-use-3000px.jpg?hash=6377377475

Super easy to put on and take off, but as said works really great and effective.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Here you go, I think these are the one's installed at the factory

Framus & Warwick - Strap Button Set - Black | W-Music Distribution

FWIW, I've switched to using rubber washers too. I used to swear by schaller strap locks. The locking mechanism itself is fine, but as with all third party straplock systems, they require removing the original button and screw and replacing them. This action IME weakens the fixing. One on of my basses, I was frequently tightening up one of the strap button screws and had to perform the cocktail stick and superglue trick a couple of times to reinforce it, but it still kept loosening.  Since switching back to the original button and screw it's been rock solid. The basses I've bought since I have only used rubber washers and not removed the buttons at all, and they are rock solid as well.