Why become a member? ×

Bass Uke

Jabba_the_gut

This build is completely @Owen's fault...

A while back Owen gave me a set of tuners from a bass uke and the other week I thought it was time to turn them into something. I had a go on a rubber stringed Kala bass and kind of liked it so that's the plan.

The plan is for a 21" scale, hollow bodied 4 string with a piezo pickup. I've already got some way with this (I took the body to the recent SW Bass Bash) so this build thread is catching up a bit.

This is the scribble for the design with a couple of rough MDF templates

xFtInyp.jpg

• Like 7

The body for this is being made from some mahogany that I got in the form of the end of a church pew. It's been cut to size and thicknessed and looks quite nice. 

JpuUOHm.jpg

The top is maple (I think - I bought this a long time ago and can't remember what I was told!!)

LFHMUqv.jpg

There's enough for the top and a piece left over to cut a couple of matching veneers for the headstock.

• Like 3

The back was marked up as to where the battery box would go and a small recess routed

pYPXQMs.jpg

The back was then cut for the main part of the battery box

MOaj2Lb.jpg

There is no control cavity cover on this bass, I planning (and hoping....) that I can fit the pot, and preamp through the battery box hole once the top is glued on. 

• Like 3

I cut a spare piece of the top into two slice and ran it through my drum sander (new bit of kit to me and I really like it!) to make two veneers for the front and back of the headstock when I get on to that. The drum sander is great - these are sanded to about 0.8mm.

TZjlmGT.jpg

One difference with the Uke tuners compare to normal ones is that the headstock thickness cannot be more than 12mm thick as the winding drum is wider than the tuner hole so there is no room for movement. I usually make my headstocks 14-15mm thick so I'll have to bear that in mind when I get to that stage.

ZXUABCV.jpg

• Like 3

Super looking bass :) I have just bought a uke bass (bc has a lot to answer for yet again) and am very impressed with what it will do and the ease of playing.  I suspect the next build will be such a thing.

Edited by 3below

I reduced the thickness of the top and applied a couple of braces to maintain the strength. I'm looking to use a leftover bridge from another project for the piezo.

qUX7AVP.jpg

I've also started looking at the position of the jack socket and where the strings are going to come through. I drilled a hole for the volume/tone pot (thinking of stacked pot for this). I've also looked at the headstock and made it a little bit mor compact but sticking to the basic shape I've used for all my recent builds. I've also shaped a sound hole as such in the upper horn.

3amjZiI.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 5

The neck pocket was then cut using the template. The pocket template took a bit more effort to make as it must be accurate to ensure the strings line up correctly with the bridge and string holes. This really is a case of measure and adjust a number of times before cutting the template and measuring a number of times again prior to cutting the pocket. Masking tape was used to protect the top from being scratched whilst cutting the pocket

3RVPmau.jpg

Holes for the neck bolts were then drilled

zYLpwge.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 4

As happens with things like this the design evolves a bit as you work on it and branches out a bit....

I came across some round wound strings for uke basses and thought that seemed like a good idea. These can be used for basses with a scale of 23" or 25" which I like the idea of. So, I made another neck template for a 25" scale bass that has the same heel dimension but is just a little thinner at the nut (which is fine as the short, rubber string neck was a little wider at the nut). By keeping the heel dimensions the same, I can re-use the templates. The 25" neck and strings would use normal tuners so the thing that started this whole project, the uke tuners, wouldn't be required. Can't be having that so I'll just have to make a second uke......

These pictures give an idea of the dimensions

Mdz55KH.jpg

21" scale

bBDioYp.jpg

25" scale

ERfEQwP.jpg

• Like 3