Why become a member? ×

Multi-FX recommendations

Paddy544

Hi All - I've disappeared down a MAJOR rabbit hole after my Line 6 HX Effects (which I really liked) broke at a gig.

I've been researching new options and not sure where to go next as I fancy a change.  The obvious thing would be a Zoom B6 but it looks like a toy that'll break on the first outing with its plastic casing.

I mainly used these on the HX

- Compressor

- Chorus

- Octave

- Drive

- Filter

- EQ

- Boost

I'm heavily leaning towards a Boss GX-100 - has anyone had any experience of that?

Thanks

Pat

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

From another thread, it seems like @T-Bayhas a GX-100. I'd be keen to hear impressions as well, if you don't mind. Particularly on the distortions.

I have been seriously impressed with them. There are bass specific ones but I use a mix depending on what patch I am using. At first it seems as there are only a few but when you select a module there are then multiple sub options so I think there are 20-30 ODs/ distortion/ fuzz in total. Each one is completely adjustable as you would expect of a separate pedal. On top of that you can stack them and the switch’s are configurable giving a ridiculous number of options. For example you could stack four together and have them in individual switches, or all four on one, or a mix and match on different switches.

There are also a load of amp sims, some of which give a decent amount of distortion as well. Add to that all  the other effects and it’s crazy value for money. What impressed me the most is how analogue the sounds are, it has been a while since I messed with multi-effects and they always seemed a bit ‘processed’ sound wise which I didn’t like, so the GX was a revelation.

It has been well thought out in so many ways, for example the switch lights up different colours based on the effect type it controls, patches can be made incredibly easy and it’s pretty intuitive on the whole but like any unit does take a bit of learning to get the best out of it. When you look at the unit it appears to only have a few switches for effects but you can stack as previously mentioned and also assign any of the switches if you wish e.g. change the tuner switch allocation to an effect.

As a confirmed pedal nut I couldn’t have imagined going over to a multi fx unit but I am completely sold on this and use it for everything. Being able to control via switches, touchscreen or Bluetooth makes it easy to use and quick to adjust. There are enough patches that you could assign one per song if you so chose to.

There are so many ways you can tweak it, that it would need pages to explain them all, but the usual EQ, input levels, output levels, multiple output options, Bluetooth sound in etc etc are there and more.

I don’t think anything is ever perfect, you can always find something to improve but I would give it 9/10 for sound, 8/10 for ease of use and 10/10 for value.

A list of effects and parameters can be found here:

https://static.roland.com/manuals/gx-100_parameter/eng/25629758.html

• Like 3

Might be worth having a read of Dream bass multi f/x ... what would you want?, lots of views there.

Also perhaps https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/461666-boss-gx-100/

loved  the HX Effects (Sold an HX Stomp to get it) but sadly it went pear shaped in my recent fire.

I've just been able to obtain an HX Stomp XL, which I must say is definitely going to be my choice till I build BMFX - A bass oriented DIY multi effects pedal

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I think you will be surprised how good they sound, multi fx have moved on so much in the past few years.

I was surprised when I got my B3n - even more so after loading some of the guitar effects on to it. Although the dirt pedals on it aren't up to snuff (in my opinion, I know some people on here do use them), it was a massive jump from the first Zoom pedal my brother had about 20 years ago. And the tech has just gotten better since.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the input - especially @T-Bay - it's now a choice of two for me, the GX-100 or a Valeton GP-200 which could save me a couple of hundred! 

I really did like my HX Effects, such a good and underatered (IMHO) unit for bass players, may be an opportunity now though to delve into the amp modelling world now.

• Like 3

I had a go with the GX-100 on my lunch break. Really impressed. It can doom and be all ambient. Pretty easy to use based on a 20 minute play. I didn't see the point of the touchscreen - it didn't work the way I expected it to and I could do everything from the controls anyway. Also played it with a very nice Yamaha BBP35. Now currently wondering how I can sneak the thing into the house! 😅 

• Like 1

If you really liked the HX FX, then why not get another?

At least you know what you can do with it.

I know, bad experience with one unit can make you wary, but if it works for you, it works for you.

Just a thought.

Edited by Skybone

20 hours ago, Paddy544 said:

Thanks all for the input - especially @T-Bay - it's now a choice of two for me, the GX-100 or a Valeton GP-200 which could save me a couple of hundred! 

I really did like my HX Effects, such a good and underatered (IMHO) unit for bass players, may be an opportunity now though to delve into the amp modelling world now.

LOVED  my HX Effects. ((Sadly destroyed in my recent fire)

I've been blessed to obtain an HX Stomp XL and I must say it is rather awesome; it will be the heart of my pedalboard until I build BMFX

S'manth x

9 hours ago, Skybone said:

If you really liked the HX FX, then why not get another?

At least you know what you can do with it.

I know, bad experience with one unit can make you wary, but if it works for you, it works for you.

Just a thought.

Its a very fair point and one I've really thought about - it does do pretty much everything I need.

1 - Just thinking a change may be nice

2 - Amp modelling abilities for not much more money could be fun and give options

13 hours ago, Paddy544 said:

Problem for me is only the plastic casing.   I’d worry about it in every outing.  The boss is a lot more robust/roadworthy

I've got a plastic cased Zoom multi and had no issues or concerns about its robustness, despite regularly gigging it. I also own several Boss pedals which, I agree, will likely outlive me, haha! 

But I'm not sure it's correct to say that platic is always more fragile / less robust than metal. It will depend on the plastic and the construction. I mean plastic is regularly used as an alternative for car bumpers, right? 

There's a thread on the Zoom B6 and several BCers own one (mine's the little B1-4). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allaboutthebass said:

I'm tempted to get a Second hand Line 6 HD500x, its got the amps I like, dual processing and the majority of effects I will need (with tweaking). I suspect even this will be too much for my needs. 

Got to say that the HD500x is a brilliant unit, and you can get some great sounds out of it, used one for many years before moving on to the Pod Go.

The positives are that you can get some great sounds out of it, loads of options, good effects, loads of connectivity options.

The negatives are that you have to buy the HD Bass pack, which gives really only gives you two amp models (and two variations of the SVT), and two cabs. The effects are guitar specific, so for a decent drive sound, you need to create a parallel path, one clean, one dirty. It's not small, and compared to the HX model set, it does sound dated.

10 hours ago, Paddy544 said:

Its a very fair point and one I've really thought about - it does do pretty much everything I need.

1 - Just thinking a change may be nice

2 - Amp modelling abilities for not much more money could be fun and give options

Amp modelling is good to have, something like the HX Stomp or Stomp XL might be a good option if you use loads of effects. If you're after a "core" sound and up to 3 effects, then think about a Pod Go.

I do think that you'd definitely need to reconsider the HX FX if you like your amp setup.

27 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Amp modelling is good to have, something like the HX Stomp or Stomp XL might be a good option if you use loads of effects. If you're after a "core" sound and up to 3 effects, then think about a Pod Go.

I do think that you'd definitely need to reconsider the HX FX if you like your amp setup.

I have an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and an SL410X cab which has served me really well.

I don't really fancy the Stomp or XL TBH.  The XL is £100 more expensive than the Boss GX-100.

I also don't want to get bogged down by hundreds of amps and mic combinations.  The Boss has 3 good amps and several cabs - that'll be enough for me.

Think I've thought enough and just need to bite the bullet and get one!