Why become a member? ×

NBD: Serek Midwestern 2 5 string (30.5")

bassist_lewis

Almost a year after paying my deposit it finally arrive this week. I was a bit nervous about having paid so much money for something I'd never played, but it's an amazing instrument. The construction is solid, the neck is a little chunkier than I'm used to, but it plays pretty easy after a few days. It balances perfectly seated and on the strap, and it sounds HUUUUGE!! The B string is massive!

The body is mahogany (I think) and the neck is roasted maple, which I asked to be left unpainted. I was going for a 70s Fender look.

IMG20220922171850.jpg

IMG20220922171947.jpg

IMG20220922172059.jpg

IMG20220922172016.jpg

• Like 15

15 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Almost a year after paying my deposit it finally arrive this week. I was a bit nervous about having paid so much money for something I'd never played, but it's an amazing instrument. The construction is solid, the neck is a little chunkier than I'm used to, but it plays pretty easy after a few days. It balances perfectly seated and on the strap, and it sounds HUUUUGE!! The B string is massive!

The body is mahogany (I think) and the neck is roasted maple, which I asked to be left unpainted. I was going for a 70s Fender look.

IMG20220922171850.jpg

IMG20220922171947.jpg

IMG20220922172059.jpg

IMG20220922172016.jpg

Its chunky, because they added a spare sting ....stunning! thx for sharing 

• Haha 2

On 22/09/2022 at 18:12, ezbass said:

It was hearing David Byrne’s current bass player using one of these that sent me down the short scale rabbit hole. Sweet score, I’m rather envious.

it sounds amazing too on last concert film - he also has a Harmony H22 that sounds mint - i'd like both

• Like 1

Oh that’s wonderful! I have a Midwestern 4 string and a 30” MW2 5er is my next want! 

Interesting pickup placement, what was your thinking on the shifted back neck pickup?

Great choice on the unpainted neck too, really captures that 70’s Fender vibe!

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Oh that’s wonderful! I have a Midwestern 4 string and a 30” MW2 5er is my next want! 

Interesting pickup placement, what was your thinking on the shifted back neck pickup?

Great choice on the unpainted neck too, really captures that 70’s Fender vibe!

Si

Thanks! I'd love a MW 1/2 four string but alas, houses are expensive! I asked the pick up to be shifted into the P or sweet spot, as I really love that sound, and its worked out great. Sounds very P-ish. Jake also liked it so expect to see it again.

1 hour ago, Smanth said:

How beautiful!

Does it sounds as good as it looks?

S'manth x

It absolutely does! It sounds very modern and almost like an active bass, and the B is SOLID. Overall its just a solid tone, very full but still under control. If that makes any sense! You're just going to have to try one 😜

37 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Thanks! I'd love a MW 1/2 four string but alas, houses are expensive! I asked the pick up to be shifted into the P or sweet spot, as I really love that sound, and its worked out great. Sounds very P-ish. Jake also liked it so expect to see it again.

Haha, yes a house (and more recently IVF) is exactly the reason why there’s not an MW2 5er on order for me.

Great shout on moving it to the P position, right up my street, I shall keep that in mind for the future!

Si

• Like 1