Why become a member? ×

Ugly Basses

Rib13Bass

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Yup.  They leave me utterly cold.

20 minutes ago, nilorius said:

You hate jazz bass ?!?

A jazz bass is like a Volvo. They are a good tool in most circumstances, but about as exciting as watching paint dry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Despite thinking it is/was ugly, I bought a Mustang. The looks are challenging, but it grows on you and the ergonomics (upper fret access notwithstanding) seem to suit me.

Not as many people use "ugly" instruments, helps to stand out in the crowd!

23 minutes ago, nilorius said:

What makes You warm ?

Ooh, that's a very personal question!

Assuming we're talking about basses ;)

Epiphone Jack Casady

Most G&Ls (L-1000 in particular)

Good (in my opinion) Gibsons

3 pickup basses

Fat Yamaha BBs (the slimmer bodied ones aren't true BBs in my opinion - the B stands for Broad)

P basses which are subtly different from Fender/Squier (like my G&L Tribute LB-100)

Humbuckers

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

Do you think it's ugly or ok -20 years roadworn ?

final001.jpg

I'm sorry but IMO that's horrible (leaving aside whether or not I think the basic design of the bass ugly). To me that looks like a new bass that someone has attacked with a screwdriver. How does an instrument get into that kind of condition? (Assuming it hasn't been attacked with a screwdriver.) I've owned far older instruments that had regular use, and were gigged in some fairly rough places, but none of them ever looked as damaged as that.

And TBH if I owned a bass that did look as battered as that I'd been looking at either getting the body refinished or replaced, whichever route was cheapest.

17 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Ooh, that's a very personal question!

Assuming we're talking about basses ;)

Epiphone Jack Casady

Most G&Ls (L-1000 in particular)

Good (in my opinion) Gibsons

3 pickup basses

Fat Yamaha BBs (the slimmer bodied ones aren't true BBs in my opinion - the B stands for Broad)

P basses which are subtly different from Fender/Squier (like my G&L Tribute LB-100)

Humbuckers

Wow! We got differences. The list is the the list i would call ugly! Sorryy, just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm sorry but IMO that's horrible (leaving aside whether or not I think the basic design of the bass ugly). To me that looks like a new bass that someone has attacked with a screwdriver. How does an instrument get into that kind of condition? (Assuming it hasn't been attacked with a screwdriver.) I've owned far older instruments that had regular use, and were gigged in some fairly rough places, but none of them ever looked as damaged as that.

And TBH if I owned a bass that did look as battered as that I'd been looking at either getting the body refinished or replaced, whichever route was cheapest.

Ecactly. In reality - the finish was Jaco tribute sunburst, that i hate. I removed it with a knife and refinished "black....red rain drop" with a flomaster. I like it. 

Edited by nilorius