Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd - Animals 2018 remix

wateroftyne

On 18/09/2022 at 14:34, Woodinblack said:

Well, they can as they haven't made anything* in a long time

* that you would mention in polite company

Floyd's output was fractured by the ongoing problems and legal wrangling between Gilmour and Waters, after Waters left the band. Indeed such issues delayed the release of the 2018 Animals remix until now. It very nearly did not see the light of day. Wright's passing in 2008 essentially ended the notion of Floyd recording more material.  Therefore their rich collective creativity is encapsulated in their back catalogue, though both Gilmour and Waters as successful individual artists, have continued to keep their creative juices flowing with recording and touring.

Edited by leroydiamond

31 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Floyd's output was fractured by the ongoing problems and legal wrangling between Gilmour and Waters, after Waters left the band. Indeed such issues delayed the release of the 2018 Animals remix until now.

Yes, but that isn't creativity - that is a remix of an old album. Maybe better, maybe worse but it isn't new.

31 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

It very nearly did not see the light of day. Wright's passing in 2008 essentially ended the notion of Floyd recording more material.  

Why? He had no involvement by all accounts in the Wall and that did ok.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, but that isn't creativity - that is a remix of an old album. Maybe better, maybe worse but it isn't new.

I am well aware that it is a remix , not creativity and never suggested it was. I simply said that Floyd's output was fractured by Waters and Gilmours  wrangling. It started after Waters left the band in 1985 and continue to this day, which almost resulted in the remix not being released. Seemingly it took them years to agree on the liner notes.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Why? He had no involvement by all accounts in the Wall and that did ok.

Why? Because Gilmour said Floyd were finished after Wrights passing.  Is it remotely possible that Gilmour and Waters could mend their ways and return as Pink Floyd, with a new album? I doubt it, but pigs might fly

Edited by leroydiamond

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

He played keys on it, and I’d be surprised if he was told note-for-note what to play.

He was one of the people playing keys on it, there were several and both Waters and Gilmour said he had next to no creative input in it, which is why he was sacked. Although I suspect that was more Waters idea.

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

It started after Waters left the band in 1985 and continue to this day, which almost resulted in the remix not being released. Seemingly it took them years to agree on the liner notes.

It started a long time before 85 and I suspect will stay forever.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

He was one of the people playing keys on it, there were several and both Waters and Gilmour said he had next to no creative input in it, which is why he was sacked. Although I suspect that was more Waters idea.

James Guthrie has stated that Rick's contribution was significant.

16 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Of course their were differences and tensions between Gimour and Waters before '85. Indeed like many other bands these tensions, arguments etc can be used to advantage within the creative process. However it was after Waters leaving in 85' that these differences became public and  irreconcilable, with Waters taking legal action (something he now regrets). 

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Of course it is well known that there were differences and tensions between Gimour and Waters before '85. Indeed like many other bands these tensions, arguments etc can be used to advantage within the creative process. However it was after Waters leaving in 85' that these differences became public and  irreconcilable, and reached a new level with Waters taking legal action (something he now regrets). 

On 18/09/2022 at 15:04, leroydiamond said:

Floyd's output was fractured by the ongoing problems and legal wrangling between Gilmour and Waters, after Waters left the band. Indeed such issues delayed the release of the 2018 Animals remix until now. It very nearly did not see the light of day. Wright's passing in 2008 essentially ended the notion of Floyd recording more material.  Therefore their rich collective creativity is encapsulated in their back catalogue, though both Gilmour and Wright as successful individual artists, have continued to keep their creative juices flowing with recording and touring.

ITYM Gilmour and Waters in that last sentence, as Wright hasn't got any juices flowing any more.

I've got through the first two tracks...Ok so the overall sound is (in my limited perception) more open and clear...and possibly harder in the midrange? However the mix on Dogs seems to have been very hard on Richard Wright as the keys are considerably quieter....between the two mixes compare the little motif at around 1:30 in Dogs immediatley after Dave says "easy smile"...it's almost inaudible compared to the old mix : (   

I remember reading in Nick Mason's autobiography that Rick Wright was kept on as a paid session player for the massively expensive Wall tour, so he was the only one of the four of them that actually made any money from playing it live.

Animals is my favourite Pink Floyd album so I'm looking forward to hearing the new mix.