Why become a member? Ɨ
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wal Mk3 inspired build

Chopthebass

I was going to buy a Wal, until I saw the wait time (and price haha). So Iā€™m going to have a go at building one. Iā€™m going down the Walbucker/Lusithand route, so itā€™s probably the best shot at getting something similar, sound wise.Ā 
The bridge is the only thing I canā€™t replicate, so Iā€™m using a Schaller 3D.Ā 
Itā€™ll have locking jack and balanced DI XLR outputs.Ā 
Watch this space!Ā 

983D614F-EF97-4F22-A459-D0E08EF20AED.jpeg

8F52C5DE-DEA6-43DB-A859-2097BC78E19F.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

Genuine question- what is is about Wals that is so appealing?Ā  There are at least three threads on building basses to sound like a Wal, and the real things sell new for Ā£Ā£Ā£.

Clearly I need to play one.

Iā€™ve never owned one, but Iā€™m super curious about multi coil picks and filter preamps. Itā€™s an experiment. The mk3 is the best shape in my opinion.

On 16/09/2022 at 07:40, Richard R said:

Genuine question- what is is about Wals that is so appealing?Ā  There are at least three threads on building basses to sound like a Wal, and the real things sell new for Ā£Ā£Ā£.

Clearly I need to play one.

I don't think there's any specific mojo going on. 20 years ago they barely had a market. Now more sought after than ever?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is it about Wals ??Ā  Hmm. Not sure, I have two and love them, especially the fretless.Ā  Pretty facewoods aside .. they are very responsive to player input and have a fat and complex, slightly muzzy sound to them, but still manage lovely clear harmonics.Ā 

Ā 

I tried a load of (5 string fretted) basses before buying my second Wal ..and nothing else quite hit the spot.

Ā 

... and because they're expensive, and keep getting more so, they get collected which sticks the price up in an ever increasing spiral.Ā 

Ā 

When all the old guys (like me) who were over influenced by them in the 80s, drop dead... prices might fall šŸ˜

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...