Why become a member? ×

Wal Mk3 inspired build

Chopthebass

I was going to buy a Wal, until I saw the wait time (and price haha). So I’m going to have a go at building one. I’m going down the Walbucker/Lusithand route, so it’s probably the best shot at getting something similar, sound wise. 
The bridge is the only thing I can’t replicate, so I’m using a Schaller 3D. 
It’ll have locking jack and balanced DI XLR outputs. 
Watch this space! 

983D614F-EF97-4F22-A459-D0E08EF20AED.jpeg

8F52C5DE-DEA6-43DB-A859-2097BC78E19F.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Richard R said:

Genuine question- what is is about Wals that is so appealing?  There are at least three threads on building basses to sound like a Wal, and the real things sell new for £££.

Clearly I need to play one.

I’ve never owned one, but I’m super curious about multi coil picks and filter preamps. It’s an experiment. The mk3 is the best shape in my opinion.

On 16/09/2022 at 07:40, Richard R said:

Genuine question- what is is about Wals that is so appealing?  There are at least three threads on building basses to sound like a Wal, and the real things sell new for £££.

Clearly I need to play one.

I don't think there's any specific mojo going on. 20 years ago they barely had a market. Now more sought after than ever?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is it about Wals ??  Hmm. Not sure, I have two and love them, especially the fretless.  Pretty facewoods aside .. they are very responsive to player input and have a fat and complex, slightly muzzy sound to them, but still manage lovely clear harmonics. 

I tried a load of (5 string fretted) basses before buying my second Wal ..and nothing else quite hit the spot.

... and because they're expensive, and keep getting more so, they get collected which sticks the price up in an ever increasing spiral. 

When all the old guys (like me) who were over influenced by them in the 80s, drop dead... prices might fall 😁

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...