Why become a member? ×

Its nearly my birthday!

marley

And im getting a new bass!

But the problem is I dont know what I want. I know it needs to have 24 frets because of some of the songs that I do and its going to be a 4 string, apart from that im stuck and could do with a bit of advice.

My style is influenced by people like Chris Wood, Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Ament, Matt Garrison, Ben Kenney, Carl Young etc I play a very wide range of styles and so its got to be able to fit them.

I know that some of these players have used Modulus and Fodera basses but being in the UK there is no way I know of to try some of theses makes so have anyone got any advice about where to try these?

I play a Warwick atm and its alright but im wanting something else and I know its not going to be a Fender. I also dont want a bass that looks like it should be in an art gallery, its a workhorse to me. Any thoughts on any basses to look at?

MH

[quote name='marley' post='466252' date='Apr 18 2009, 05:16 PM']And im getting a new bass!

But the problem is I dont know what I want. I know it needs to have 24 frets because of some of the songs that I do and its going to be a 4 string, apart from that im stuck and could do with a bit of advice.

My style is influenced by people like Chris Wood, Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Ament, Matt Garrison, Ben Kenney, Carl Young etc I play a very wide range of styles and so its got to be able to fit them.

I know that some of these players have used Modulus and Fodera basses but being in the UK there is no way I know of to try some of theses makes so have anyone got any advice about where to try these?

I play a Warwick atm and its alright but im wanting something else and I know its not going to be a Fender. I also dont want a bass that looks like it should be in an art gallery, its a workhorse to me. Any thoughts on any basses to look at?

MH[/quote]

What price range are we talking here?

[quote name='marley' post='466257' date='Apr 18 2009, 05:23 PM']Well this is going to be the bass that im going to use forever(I hope!) so £2500, maybe a wee bit more if my parents love me enough! lol[/quote]

Wow 2.5k for a birthday present,
what's your parents views on adoption????
(well house trained, but a bit mature maybe :) )

If you live near or do not mind traveling you could go and see S.M.A.R.T Distribution (i guess they would not mind?)

They might have a couple modulus basses hanging around and if you like them it is the best time and place to order it.

[quote name='marley' post='466257' date='Apr 18 2009, 05:23 PM']Well this is going to be the bass that im going to use forever(I hope!) so £2500, maybe a wee bit more if my parents love me enough! lol[/quote]

MB1. :)
..........Something with a Good Resale Value might be worth thinking about!....Just in case you dont use it forever!... and wish to change it!.
....Buy British? :D.....Now what begins with a "S"??????....Ask your Uncle Rich!(out to play jazz)...He knows! :rolleyes:

.....I prefer mine with a Jaydee Chaser!....Shaken not Stirred!

Edited by MB1

[quote]MB1.
..........Something with a Good Resale Value might be worth thinking about!....Just in case you dont use it forever!... and wish to change it!.
....Buy British? .....Now what begins with a "S"??????....Ask your Uncle Rich!...He knows![/quote]

Why, Uncle Martin... I did put the old 'S' word at the top of my list... :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='466282' date='Apr 18 2009, 05:52 PM']Why, Uncle Martin... I did put the old 'S' word at the top of my list... :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
.....Closely Followed by the Jaydee Word i see!....thats his inheritance and more!.. blown then! :D

If you choose to let one have build for you bare in mind that this has (even ordering from the best luthiers) one big disadvantage: you never know how the bass comes out in the end.

Bassdirect stocks some nice Roscoes. Geoff Gould builds great instruments that have to be ordered and George Furlanetto, who builds F-Basses has the reputation of a very high standard.

I'l have a look at them OutToPlayJazz, thanks!

That is a problem I have though of with ordering one, I dont actually know what it will be like to play. I dont think I could do that, thats why I want to try some like modulus, fodera etc and not jsut order one. I think a trip to London is needed.

If your luthier is good and you let them do their job, the bass should come out exactly how you want it. A good luthier will gently persuade you out of any inadvisable features on your instrument and guide you to the right out come.

One of the great things about having a Sei Bass made is that every time your unsure of how a feature will affect your bass Martin can take you upstairs to the Gallery where they normally have a couple of basses with exactly that feature for you to try to see how you like it.