Why become a member? ×

Labella 760fl - odd E?

dmckee

I've just put a set of these strings on my bass. I've got a set of 760fs on my short scale but it's the first time I've tried any gauge of 760s on a long scale.

D, A and G strings sound good, but the E sounds strangely dead in comparison. Is that normal or should I send them back? (The standard gauge short scale ones don't seem to have this issue). 

I've also noticed that the length to the silk is quite different on the E compared to the others. See pic. Not sure if that's significant at all but never had strings like that before.  

Anyone any thoughts? 

IMG_1967.jpg

Edited by dmckee

22 hours ago, MungoBass said:

My experience of La Bella flats and the dull E has been the same, but after a few weeks they will all even out.  I honestly thought I had wrecked the E when cutting it!  Great strings, just be prepared to play them in.

That’s good to know, cheers!

• Like 1

Here are my 760FL's on my '71 Precision.

Similar silk layout it seems, althpough I can't comment on the tone of each string as they've been on there about 6 years, so they're all dead haha (in a good way of course).

Si

'71.jpeg

• Like 2

Mine are the same (on my P bass). I bought a spare set (760fx) and the silks are green, which La Balla confirmed is genuine.

The 760MUS set on my mustang all line up perfectly but I suppose they would as they’re designed specifically for that one bass - I thought some of you might find it satisfying!

BE9B1F37-F6BB-4588-9410-BE2B170AAA83.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 30/08/2022 at 14:30, ped said:

The 760MUS set on my mustang all line up perfectly but I suppose they would as they’re designed specifically for that one bass - I thought some of you might find it satisfying!

BE9B1F37-F6BB-4588-9410-BE2B170AAA83.jpeg

Yes! Very satisfying to look at thanks! Not very satisfying when I then looked at the MUS set I loaded onto my Mustang prior to sale!!!! 

BEC16623-51AB-4E42-9835-E443C096C9E5.jpeg

Edited by MungoBass
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

Yes! Very satisfying to look at thanks! Not very satisfying when I then looked at the MUS set I loaded onto my Mustang prior to sale!!!! 

BEC16623-51AB-4E42-9835-E443C096C9E5.jpeg

See they got the tuning pegs all wonky in The 70s 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ped said:

See they got the tuning pegs all wonky in The 70s 😂

Quite likely, or......I took an unusual hybrid approach and put the G & A through body and the D & E top loaded!  😂

Edited by MungoBass
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

Quite likely, or......I took an unusual hybrid approach and put the G & A through body and the D & E top loaded!  😂

I don’t think my 66 bridge allows top loading, does/did yours?

5 minutes ago, ped said:

I don’t think my 66 bridge allows top loading, does/did yours?

Fair challenge!

It was a ‘72 and it didn’t allow for top loading, unless you were very handy with a power drill - which I’m not!

I only have a few basses and not one of them has lined up silks!  A good excuse to speak with Mrs MungoBass about a new one!

• Like 1

On 30/08/2022 at 13:59, Reggaebass said:

How do they sound on the precision 

Early days but my initial impressions are very favourable. I was looking for a string with more zing than a typical La Bella set of flats and these certainly deliver. They are much brighter and all sounded clear straight out of the packet. In terms of sound and sustain, I would put them somewhere at a couple of months old decent set of nickel rounds.I have used black tape wounds in the past (Fender, Rotos and D’addario) and they are more mellow, but never really liked the clack clack sound on the fingerboard. Plus, some had a .115 E string which usually resulted in nut work in order to obtain a decent action. These have none of that noise and I only needed a gentle push to drop the G into the fret slot. They are very smooth under the fingers and less grabby than flats. 

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

Early days but my initial impressions are very favourable. I was looking for a string with more zing than a typical La Bella set of flats and these certainly deliver. They are much brighter and all sounded clear straight out of the packet. In terms of sound and sustain, I would put them somewhere at a couple of months old decent set of nickel rounds.I have used black tape wounds in the past (Fender, Rotos and D’addario) and they are more mellow, but never really liked the clack clack sound on the fingerboard. Plus, some had a .115 E string which usually resulted in nut work in order to obtain a decent action. These have none of that noise and I only needed a gentle push to drop the G into the fret slot. They are very smooth under the fingers and less grabby than flats. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that MB, great review 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2022 at 20:12, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that MB, great review 👍

Thank you Reggaebass. I should also add that I thought white nylon on gold would be a rather nice match for a white blonde AVRI with a gold anodised guard.....yep, all part of the bass gear ocd!

• Like 1

They have settled down and evened out, as was suggested. I like them. I went back to my other P bass last night actually - it has cobalt flats on it, and the difference in tone between the 2 sets is massive. I like them both but they are very different strings, in feel and tone. 

• Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 12:33, dmckee said:

They have settled down and evened out, as was suggested. I like them. I went back to my other P bass last night actually - it has cobalt flats on it, and the difference in tone between the 2 sets is massive. I like them both but they are very different strings, in feel and tone. 

Good to hear they have now settled down! Great strings.

• 2 weeks later...