Why become a member? ×

Eden Nemesis or Hartke 3500

Rayman

I’m after a small rig for small/ medium sized gigs, and there’s a couple of used options around 200 quid….

Eden Nemesis RS 320 1x15

or

Hartke HA350 + 1x15 cab

Any opinions? 

I’m looking for lightish and loudish 

Get the Eden Nemesis. Massively underrated gear. Probably the first attempt at building good, lightweight bass gear, and they did a great job. The amp is 100% Eden, with all the punch you might expect. All it's missing compared to its more expensive gold siblings is the valve preamp. 

Hartke make decent, workmanlike gear, but their reliability is a bit suspect, and, as far as I know, they currently have no UK service centre if things go wrong. Those aluminium speakers are prone to tearing, especially if you have a cab from the cheaper Transporter range (the XL range are decent though).

Eden made a Nemesis 8x10 combo at one point, and it was stupid light. I remember playing through one at Andertons once, but I didn't buy one because I never had a car with a big enough boot to cart it around!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

I thought Eden bit the dust after Marshall disowned it?

They did. Not sure either brand have any official UK support thesedays but for a secondhand amp purchase you don’t necessarily need that.

If it were my choice I’d go for the Nemesis too, I had both the 320 and 650 heads at one time or another and they have that gorgeous sweet Eden tone. I did (at the time) feel the 320 was a little underpowered but that was more because I’d come from Trace where all the volume was in the first 1/4 of the control’s movement, and I was a naive 20-something.

Hartke have always been an “ok” amp in my eyes - the LH500 was great - but the others just felt a bit sterile and lifeless.

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I thought Eden bit the dust after Marshall disowned it?

Gear4Music took them over and are keeping the brand alive. The range hasn't changed in years though. It's still just the WT, E and Terra Nova series and their associated cabs. 

I was hoping when Marshall divested itself from Eden that we might see some new actual Marshall bass gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case.