Why become a member? ×

changing specs

itu

I had a great idea to build a 5-string bass. 35", 19 mm spacing etc. But as things tend to change every now and then...

I met a luthier who has lots of ideas and makes not so ordinary basses. Well, after lots of talk we decided he follows the wood and I will source/make the metal parts. It was elsewhere here, where the tuning part is on its way. Now here are few photos of the tuner(s).

The instrument may still be a 5-string, and has 19 mm spacing, but scale length has turned to 32", neck has been NT and bolt-on, and let's see...

20220711_182841.thumb.jpg.e71627f6bb89e5d932672192539a1437.jpg

20220811_165538.thumb.jpg.20cb72dd9f7a18ac920651f43ea8776a.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

The project continues. I bought few taps and made this today. I need to shape it, and the line can be seen in the face. The big hole in the middle is for the truss rod.

(I should have had this and the bridge ready by August, but the anodizing company was away, and the project halted. Well, for few other reasons, too.)

20221114_200334.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

As I said earlier, woodworking comes from one strange luthier, self learned man. I am just making the hardware. I did not use bearings, and I get your point, @Smanth.

Some woods are oak (fretboard) and curly birch among others. The body was an ageold project that I fell in love with, and the neck, well, let's see.

Thank you all for your kind words.

• Like 1

String holder is nearly ready. Some more shaping is still required. Alumec is one good material: threads are a breeze to make. Next big problem is the bridge, because the body is curved.

20230201_203842.thumb.jpg.e0e479a48559215f643a019a9ceec08e.jpg

Edited by itu
  • Like 6

That looks totally amazing!

I've googled alumec but can't find where to source it in the UK ... do you have any links/suggestions?

I'd  love to know how you are crafting it ... hand tools, metalshop tools, CNC?

S'manth x

• Thanks 1

This is the material, I got a small piece from a friend of mine. He bought it from the manufacturer years ago:

https://www.uddeholm.com/uk/en/products/alumec-89/

I only have a small machine and hand tools in my one car garage (no, there's no space):

https://www.bernardo.at/en/metall/metallbearbeitung/bohr-und-frasmaschinen/bohr-und-frasmaschinen/kf-20-super.html

If I need to do anything complicated or big, my friend has an Aciera (F3, maybe?). His three car workshop includes two CNCs and two 3D units among others.

The string holder is attached to the neck with two 2" wood screws. They seemed to be sturdy enough.

The crazy luthier wants to have some age old bone saddle, and I am interested in zero fret... you may get the idea of changing specs, do you... this will be solved during next week, I hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, itu said:

This is the material, I got a small piece from a friend of mine. He bought it from the manufacturer years ago:

https://www.uddeholm.com/uk/en/products/alumec-89/

I only have a small machine and hand tools in my one car garage (no, there's no space):

https://www.bernardo.at/en/metall/metallbearbeitung/bohr-und-frasmaschinen/bohr-und-frasmaschinen/kf-20-super.html

If I need to do anything complicated or big, my friend has an Aciera (F3, maybe?). His three car workshop includes two CNCs and two 3D units among others.

The string holder is attached to the neck with two 2" wood screws. They seemed to be sturdy enough.

The crazy luthier wants to have some age old bone saddle, and I am interested in zero fret... you may get the idea of changing specs, do you... this will be solved during next week, I hope.

Thanks for the details, that KF-20 looks amazing!

FWIW I'm with you one the zero fret.

S'manth x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1