Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith - model codes

Ruarl

Is there a description somewhere of all the codes on Ken Smith basses? I've found the odd reference (mostly on this forum.) But I don't find anything on the Ken Smith website. And certainly nothing exhaustive.

As for some of the extra words they use, I think I've figured out that Burners are made somewhere else with some kind of Ken-endorsement. But I'm puzzled as to what the "Tiger" series are. Are they just nice flamey tops?

Not sure about the codes as there seem to have been many variations, usually related to the number of laminations on body and/or neck, but the tiger name refers to the wood enclosing the core - either black tiger (which looks identical to flamed maple to me), but there’s also a white tiger version which I believe has flamed walnut facings. Links: http://www.kensmithbasses.com/tiger-elite-series/ and http://www.kensmithbasses.com/bsr-bt-elite-g/ for the Elite G (serial contains EG).

13 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

I think the USA bolt on had the code MW, possibly there were other USA bolt on models as well. The Burner range was made in Japan.

"The bass you see here is a BSR5MW. model. This means it is a bolt-on neck instrument with a Tiger Maple core body and Walnut wings"

From https://www.doctorbass.net/en/c/?iddoc=1000170849&idsec=1000170855

I think tiger maple is just another name for flamed maple.

This thread on TB also has some useful info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkbass.com/threads/ken-smith-models.1079496/%3famp=1404632303

Edited by Gwilym

Thanks folks. That Talkbass thread was the sort of thing I was looking for. And, confirmed my suspicion that the system is not entirely organised. At least, not over the whole history of Smith basses.

Just to add what others have helpfully said - yes, Ken Smith model codes are surprising confusing. From what I understand though, and using my USA bolt-on as an example:

BSR4MW

BSR = body shape (as opposed to a BT, which I think is their more vintage body)

4 = number of strings 

MW = model designation, in this case bolt on.

For me the confusion comes from that model designation bit. So MW means bolt on, but other models are described in other ways, not just by neck construction. So another example:

BT5EG = using the ‘rules’ above, would be a vintage shape 5 string neck thru, but the EG stands for ‘elite’ and there are other neck-thru models. 

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Just to add what others have helpfully said - yes, Ken Smith model codes are surprising confusing. From what I understand though, and using my USA bolt-on as an example:

BSR4MW

BSR = body shape (as opposed to a BT, which I think is their more vintage body)

4 = number of strings 

MW = model designation, in this case bolt on.

For me the confusion comes from that model designation bit. So MW means bolt on, but other models are described in other ways, not just by neck construction. So another example:

BT5EG = using the ‘rules’ above, would be a vintage shape 5 string neck thru, but the EG stands for ‘elite’ and there are other neck-thru models. 

The MW also means Maple/Walnut. I've also seen MS models, also bolt-on i think but speculated to be Maple/Shedua.

The G means the neck has graphite rod re-enforcement.

There were also the BSRxJ models, great basses, used to own one and probably should have never sold it. They were BSR shaped with jazz style pickups. No longer made apparently.

Edited by Gwilym
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gwilym said:

The MW also means Maple/Walnut. I've also seen MS models, also bolt-on i think but speculated to be Maple/Shedua.

The G means the neck has graphite rod re-enforcement.

There were also the BSRxJ models, great basses, used to own one and probably should have never sold it. They were BSR shaped with jazz style pickups. No longer made apparently.

Ahhh, really interesting! Makes sense too (my MW is maple/walnut). Although still confusing, as for some models the last two letters refer to the woods, and others the name and graphite rod reinforcement. 

I was tempted to order a BSR with jazz pups a year or so ago…in some ways glad I didn’t now as I would have ended up disappointed! 

Lovely looking basses though:

CC7D6256-97F8-4D35-B13A-FBCD9FA90FB4.jpeg

Edited by CookPassBabtridge
  • Like 1

That TB thread is useful but as a guide, my BSR6EG had a satin finish, definitely not glossy. Just goes to show the specs do vary from the advertised model. Why they’d use MW as a designation for the woods but also to apparently indicate a bolt-on is anyone’s guess ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

Just checked mine. 
My BT6 ends with EW which is probably ebony walnut. Whereas the BT5 has no letters in its serial number

The W could also be "wide" in which case you would have 19mm string spacing rather than the standard 18mm 😁

Edited by Gwilym

• 1 year later...

My bass has this serial number 

6M159100W

it’s a 2000 bolt on six string with silver/chrome hardware  

not sure of the model or wood it was a gift. I’m thinking about selling it but it would be nice to know what it’s appraised at. 

IMG_5076.png

IMG_5077.png

Edited by Thomas G
Wanted to be more specific about my bass.