Why become a member? ×

Fender Active Basses , Question

jay bass

Hi

Can i leave a Fender active Jazz Bass Plugged in

it has a active / Passive switch

is it ok to leave the jack lead in if its switched to passive

or does it still drain the battery if left plugged in the jack socket?

PS  Its The American Fender elite jazz model

Thanks

Jay

41 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s pretty much my understanding of the matter. Not sure why anyone would want to leave it plugged in tbh.

Usualy just leave a Bass on my studio wall plugged in ready to pick up and play .

but its usualy a passive bass this Elite is a New one for me. just wanted to check if the power turns off with the switch

il unplug it from now on and stop the battery draining

18 minutes ago, jay bass said:

Usualy just leave a Bass on my studio wall plugged in ready to pick up and play .

but its usualy a passive bass this Elite is a New one for me. just wanted to check if the power turns off with the switch

il unplug it from now on and stop the battery draining

Experience has told me that doing this can be a road to the bass ending up on the floor.

Just to confirm what everyone said, always unplug active basses.  Apart from the undoubted few oddbods which have a separate on/off mechanism, it is the insertion of the plug that completes the circuit and switches on the preamp.  The battery drains regardless of whether or not you're playing - it'll happily sit there and amplify nothing and churn through your battery.

I’ve got the jazz elite and I always unplug when not using it, this is from the fender owners manual, 

Fender® offers basses with passive electronics (no batteries) and basses with active (battery-powered) preamps. Depending on
the instrument, your active bass may have either a 9-volt (one-battery) system, or
an 18-volt (two-battery) system. Visit the Knowledge Base in the Support section of www.fender.com, where the service diagrams link presents detailed information on more than 250 Fender instrument models.
Typical battery life for both systems is approximately 600 hours of playing time.
All Fender basses with active preamps are equipped with switching jacks that engage the battery when a cable is plugged into the jack. To maximize battery life, unplug your cable from the bass when not playing the instrument.