Why become a member? ×

Running an extension speaker

Grahambythesea

For years I’ve used combos. My current amp is a Behringer BX1200 Ultrabass,on this there is an actual lead and plug from the speaker which plugs into the back of the amp. I’d like to run an extension cab and I am thinking of using a Jack splitter to give me two outputs. Would this work?

B8A53B35-AF9D-4C6E-8E9E-D00E397865FF.thumb.jpeg.a472a995252957ea643865f425adfb4b.jpeg

Yes, from their blurb:

'The BX1200 features a custom-made 12" aluminum cone speaker that reproduces your sound with incredible power, sensitivity and warmth. Should you need extra clout for larger venues, you’ve got the option of connecting additional speakers and/or power amps. '

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/h44/h4b/8850001690654.pdf

P3 mentions 'connector for external speaker cabinets!'

P6 cautions to only  '4 ohm cabinet' use only

Trouble is there is only 1 output as I guess you have already seen, I'm not sure how a splitter would work with a 4ohm cab ( as the combo speaker is 4 ohm too) but I'm sure someone will be along who does!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Really the manual is as clear as mud. I have the feeling that the combo has a 4Ω minimum which is filled by the internal speaker. Then again the manual says 'short circuit proof power amp' so who knows. I would be very wary about connecting a speaker in parallel with the internal diver. That would mean a 2Ω load.  Get it wrong and you have a blown amplifier.

Incidentally most combo amplifiers develop their maximum power into the internal speaker.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

I'd be cautious, as Paul suggests. Behringer have likely fitted a 4 ohm driver to maximise the output (the fact that there is no extension speaker jack suggests this to be the case), so adding another could be risky. If there is a preamp out, run that into a power amp and drive an additional speaker with that,

37 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Sure looks like a pair of speaker outputs on the back of the amp to me.

Test the DC resistance of the speaker with a multimeter. If it is around 6 ohms it indicates an 8 ohm speaker. Then you can add another 8 ohm cab.

The instruction book says one speaker jack and one headphone jack, which mutes the speaker jack.

My interpretation of the handbook is that they allow you to add extra speakers, but only in series with the one supplied.

David 

16 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

The instruction book says one speaker jack and one headphone jack, which mutes the speaker jack.

My interpretation of the handbook is that they allow you to add extra speakers, but only in series with the one supplied.

David 

Could well be. I can't read the labels on the jacks in the photo.

It would have to be a really poorly matched speaker that could realise any gain from putting another cab in series. The amp would be throttled back to 8 ohm output level.

Unless there's a bona fide matching B'ringer extension cab available I wouldn't bother. It's not a good idea to throw any old cab into series as there are unpredictable consequences to adding random loads in series that include giving the amp the heebie jeebies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

It would have to be a really poorly matched speaker that could realise any gain from putting another cab in series. The amp would be throttled back to 8 ohm output level.

Voltage sensitivity would be a wash. You'd gain 3dB from mutual coupling, but lose 3dB from the doubled impedance. You would still realize as mush as 6dB additional maximum output, but it would all be power derived, if the amp had the power available to give.

Unless there's a bona fide matching B'ringer extension cab available I wouldn't bother. It's not a good idea to throw any old cab into series as there are unpredictable consequences to adding random loads in series that include giving the amp the heebie jeebies. 

True. Even in parallel the results would be unpredictable.

This is a very simple set up and I suspect a copy of the Hartke Kickback which had the same arrangement. The speaker will almost certainly be 4ohms so you can't add another speaker with a splitter to any real advantage. However if you have other cabs they might be more efficient than the inbuilt one so you could just try unplugging the one in the combo and plugging the other cab in. Certainly in my Hartke that gave extra volume.

If you like fiddling there might be the possibility of changing the internal speaker for an 8ohm one and then adding an external 8ohm cab and it might be fun to try but if I just wanted more volume I'd probably not start with what you have but move the combo on and start afresh as that would probably work out easier and cheaper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

This is a very simple set up and I suspect a copy of the Hartke Kickback which had the same arrangement. The speaker will almost certainly be 4ohms so you can't add another speaker with a splitter to any real advantage. However if you have other cabs they might be more efficient than the inbuilt one so you could just try unplugging the one in the combo and plugging the other cab in. Certainly in my Hartke that gave extra volume.

If you like fiddling there might be the possibility of changing the internal speaker for an 8ohm one and then adding an external 8ohm cab and it might be fun to try but if I just wanted more volume I'd probably not start with what you have but move the combo on and start afresh as that would probably work out easier and cheaper.

Yes, the spec says the internal speaker is 4ohms. I was thinking due to the model number these were 1200 watts, they are  in fact 120 watts!

Edited by yorks5stringer

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Nobody in their right mind is going to disconnect the combo driver and carry it around as an amp for another cab. That's the only way it will assuredly work well.

Agreed, not a 120 watt heavy combo.