Why become a member? ×

On 24/08/2022 at 13:02, grenadillabama said:

Could a Bass VI owner tell me that this bass is bassy enough ? Would I be asked to bump up the 40 hZ eq ?The smallest short scale E string I use is a 95 on a Hofner . Can a Basss VI take a 95 (or 90) E string . I do like baritone gtrs like the one on Witchata Lineman. 

My Squier Bass VI is strung with a Newtone Axion Bass VI set which is 24-100. GHS do an even heavier set for the Eastwood Hooky which are 30-105, however the Hooky has a BBOT style bridge and not a lot of excess string at the headstock end so they may not be long enough for a Fender/Squier style Bass VI with a vibrato system.

My Squier Bass VI can sound just like any other decent short-scale bass using the neck or middle pickups.

The only thing you should be aware of, it that IMO the Fender/Squier neck is very narrow. Think 70s narrow Stratocaster widths. Just make sure that you are comfortable with this. I'm not, which is why I now use the Eastwood.

The upper end Squiers deliver a great bang to buck ratio. I was thankful they did VM and CV versions, the vintage originals fetch silly money , and the Custom Shop ones are still pretty pricey. There was a Mexican run but they’re long out of issue and hard to find. 
I’m still surprised at the time I spend goofing around on mine , no regrets whatsoever.

82A25CA3-009D-4542-ADEF-6A0F2554FEF2.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crazycloud said:

Could a Hooky 6 owner please tell me the bridge spacing? I know the nut us 2"/51mm so only 3mm narrower than my full scale 6s but don't 'appear' as wide as the full scales I have which are 16.5mm at the bridge.

I've got one of the very first batch.

The nut width is 50mm and the distance between the centres of the two E strings (the really important measurement IMO) is 41.5mm.

The distance between the the centres of the the two E strings at the bridge is 65mm which works out at 13mm between strings.

IMO it is noticeably wider than all the other Bass VIs I have tried, and noticeably narrower than a conventional long scale B-C six string bass.

Whether or not it suits you will depend on how you play. For the sort of music I'm playing, post-punk/goth, it's exactly right in feel in that it doesn't feel cramped like a Fender Bass VI or cumbersome like a "conventional" 6 string bass.

HTH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The nut width is 50mm and the distance between the centres of the two E strings (the really important measurement IMO) is 41.5mm.

The distance between the the centres of the the two E strings at the bridge is 65mm which works out at 13mm between strings.

Thanks very much for that. I have conventional 6s and an SRC6 (avatar) and am looking for something in the middle ground to finger pick and do chordal work in some applications. I have some neck blanks made up that are large enough and am waiting on some time to build one. I've got a benchmark to try out now as I have about zero chance of playing a genuine one in the interim.

Good luck with finding a suitable bridge for your project. The original Shergold and the Eastwood Hooky are the only instruments with this kind of string spacing and, last time I looked, individual string bridge units were too wide to get them close enough together for 13mm spacing. However if you've got the appropriate metalworking facilities it should be simple enough to make your own as it's essentially a Fender style BBOT with a wider base plate and narrower saddles.

IMO you could also get the strings slightly closer to the edges of the fingerboard at the nut either by going for a narrow nut or spreading the strings out slightly more - there's space for an overall width of 43mm on a 50mm nut here. 

BTW if it helps, the neck width at the 24th fret is 64mm.

These measurements should be fine for finger picking. I was looking at using standard classical guitar spacing (which is pretty close) for a custom build, until the Eastwood Hooky was announced. I'm not so sure for chordal work, IME unless you stick to two string chords or up in the guitar register it all gets a bit muddy and indistinct. I've found that B-B 28" scale baritone guitar is as low as I'd comfortably go for fuller chords.

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Good luck with finding a suitable bridge for your project.

Machinist mate and a CNC coming soon.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks. Added to the database.

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'm not so sure for chordal work

I use the SRC6 for it now, finger picked, not strummed and up the dusty end of the neck.

32 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Good luck with finding a suitable bridge for your project. The original Shergold and the Eastwood Hooky are the only instruments with this kind of string spacing and, last time I looked, individual string bridge units were too wide to get them close enough together for 13mm spacing. However if you've got the appropriate metalworking facilities it should be simple enough to make your own as it's essentially a Fender style BBOT with a wider base plate and narrower saddles.

IMO you could also get the strings slightly closer to the edges of the fingerboard at the nut either by going for a narrow nut or spreading the strings out slightly more - there's space for an overall width of 43mm on a 50mm nut here. 

These measurements should be fine for finger picking. I was looking at using standard classical guitar spacing (which is pretty close) for a custom build, until the Eastwood Hooky was announced. I'm not so sure for chordal work, IME unless you stick to two string chords or up in the guitar register it all gets a bit muddy and indistinct. I've found that B-B 28" scale baritone guitar is as low as I'd comfortably go for fuller chords.

Individual mono rail bridge pieces would allow for any string spacing your could wish for, only limited by the width of the pieces.

It might be necessary to use guitar mono rail bridge pieces for the tight string spacing, which would limit you selection of strings to custom made ones, I can warmly recommend Newtone for this, or strings made specifically for Bass VI type instruments, as the strings would need to have guitar sized ball ends, also depending on how thick gauge you go for for the lowest string and of course the specific mono rail bridge pieces you chose to use for this it might be necessary to drill the insert hole of the bridge piece for the lowest thickest string ever so slightly larger (I did this on a 28 5/8" scale 4 string bass I had build for me out of Warmoth baritone parts, and it worked perfectly well, without any issues whatsoever. Just be mindful when drilling and chose an appropriate drill piece specifically made for drilling in metal and of the right size, you would only want to drill the hole ever so slightly larger in order to not affect the stability of the bridge piece negatively).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

In that case you'll be fine on all counts.

I looked at some of the headless parts from Nova and it looks like I can make 14mm work with bass bridges. I'll then just need to make a (headless) headpiece which I can easily do myself on a simple mill. I have a strong preference for headless instruments anyway.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I hope you're going that start a thread about this in the Build Diaries section.

Most likely.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, stewblack said:

Looks like Thomann wants some of my money...IMG_20220921_182126.thumb.jpg.919594346ad99d8c5ca0e0cfbb3f9ca2.jpg

Is that a black version of the GuitarBass, but in the Classic series, does that mean that there is also some updates to it, beside being black, or is it a baritone guitar, what is this and how did you find that picture/where is that picture from?

• Like 2

I'm a fairly recent convert to the world of Bass VI. I bought mine originally to lay down some Glen Campbell type lines on a recording session, only for that song to be shelved. I went for the Burns baby blue and it does need a better setup but is generally a fun instrument. It sat in storage for a few months until I dug it out for a post-punk / goth duo that I do with the guitarist from my first band back in Sixth Form. We cut this short video recently for a bit of fun. The film maker was great but just to show my humble attempts at playing one. 

100% agree, definitely easier with a pick. It's funny for me that the intention behind the purchase is a world away from the regular usage it is now getting. 

• Like 4

I've found that effects really seem to to just work on the Eastwood Hooky 6, and probably all bass vi's. 

I don't know why but there's something more appealing with an effect on the Eastwood than on a regular bass. 

With that in mind, and the tighter string spacing to make using one easier, the thought of an Ebow came to mind. 

I went to see how much they were now and had a shock, £100.

Then I found that a few companies were making similar effects now. Joyo do a very similar copy for around £70, and TC Electronic make one in a different design and Gear4music were doing them for £25.

One is on the way. 

As an aside, while I was there I saw the Eden Glow Plug tube warmer was only £50 so bagged one of them to try as well. 

On 22/09/2022 at 09:40, Baloney Balderdash said:

Is that a black version of the GuitarBass, but in the Classic series, does that mean that there is also some updates to it, beside being black, or is it a baritone guitar, what is this and how did you find that picture/where is that picture from?

Sorry, missed this. They tease with pictures ahead of release.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ja_baritone.htm

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Sorry, missed this. They tease with pictures ahead of release.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ja_baritone.htm

Baritone guitar rather than Bass VI.

Not only does it say it in the product title but also implied by the positioning of the pickups in the typical guitar locations rather than the Bass VI ones.

That's not to say you couldn't try using it as a Bass VI, but it may require some extra work at the bridge in order to fit the heavier gauge Bass VI strings, and IME a Bass VI always benefits from the centre pickup for decent bass sounds.

I was surprised by the time I’ve spent on my Squier VI , so when a baritone popped up on kijiji I snagged it. The Gretsch was originally designed to be a BassVI , but they strung it as a baritone when it went to market. It’s a 30 in scale , like the Squier but I tune it A-A.

CAF46597-7880-4A5F-B3DF-83300C12FB83.jpeg

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Baritone guitar rather than Bass VI.

Not only does it say it in the product title but also implied by the positioning of the pickups in the typical guitar locations rather than the Bass VI ones.

That's not to say you couldn't try using it as a Bass VI, but it may require some extra work at the bridge in order to fit the heavier gauge Bass VI strings, and IME a Bass VI always benefits from the centre pickup for decent bass sounds.

Yes, but it is 30" scale length, so could absolutely be used as a Bass VI.

And with the thickest string I use for the F# standard tuning, rather then E standard tuning, being a gauge .080 string I am sure fitting it on this instrument will be no issue, for me at least.

But yeah, the lowest thickest gauge low E string could potentially cause issues to get to fit, if you need to tune it to E standard tuning and want higher tension strings than I personally prefer.

1 minute ago, msb said:

I was surprised by the time I’ve spent on my Squier VI , so when a baritone popped up on kijiji I snagged it. The Gretsch was originally designed to be a BassVI , but they strung it as a baritone when it went to market. It’s a 30 in scale , like the Squier but I tune it A-A.

How good is a 30" Baritone tuned A-A on strummed first position chords?

I used to have a 28" tuned B-B that was great and I loved the low sound/tuning, but all the Bass VIs I've owned/tried have been useless for anything more than 2 notes, or such high register that I might as well play the part on an ordinary guitar.

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, but it is 30" scale length, so could absolutely be used as a Bass VI.

Yes it could, but the pickup type and positioning say that first and foremost it's been designed as a "guitar". Also as I said, I suspect that the bridge may need modification to be able to fit the heavier gauges of Bass VI strings.

IMO there's more to a Bass VI than taking a guitar and sticking a 30" scale neck on it.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

How good is a 30" Baritone tuned A-A on strummed first position chords?

I used to have a 28" tuned B-B that was great and I loved the low sound/tuning, but all the Bass VIs I've owned/tried have been useless for anything more than 2 notes, or such high register that I might as well play the part on an ordinary guitar.

I can play chords perfectly well on my harley Benton GuitarBass tuned in F# standard tuning, and it sounds beautiful, but admittedly I do roll off some low end in my setup.

Guess it depends on you setup and personal preferences and not least application, rather than being an absolute.