Why become a member? ×

DIY wrapping an old Hartke 4x10 with tolex or similar

On 11/08/2022 at 19:48, RandomBass said:

That looks really smart - very nice job!  I have been toying with the idea of attempting something similar with rat fur covered Ashdown Mag 15 cab I have.  How easy did your fur covering come off?

Geoff

He said his came away easily with the dried up adhesive not, causing any difficulty. I said ''that's amazeballs" because everyone else has a sticky mess of fur and adhesive to clean off after any and all attacks by physical (grinding, sanding, peeling atttempts), or chemical means.

• Like 2

The transformation of the Hartke looks fantastic. I want to be rid of the fuzzy rat rur from my Schroeder 1212L, but I'm not sure I will have the patience to see the project through and will end up with a half stripped cab and loads of bits & pieces of hardware scattered about the place which the missus will attempt to tidy up and several bits will go missing.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2022 at 08:48, RandomBass said:

That looks really smart - very nice job!  I have been toying with the idea of attempting something similar with rat fur covered Ashdown Mag 15 cab I have.  How easy did your fur covering come off?

Geoff

Thanks!

You should be able to tell if the fur has given up the ghost or not. Both this and a previous Behringer cab had areas bagging and peeling with dry, dusty glue in the pockets. Sounds like I got lucky though. If I had to attack glued on stuff, I'd go for destruction and reach for the scotchbrite type discs on an angle grinder.

On 16/08/2022 at 18:28, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The transformation of the Hartke looks fantastic. I want to be rid of the fuzzy rat rur from my Schroeder 1212L, but I'm not sure I will have the patience to see the project through and will end up with a half stripped cab and loads of bits & pieces of hardware scattered about the place which the missus will attempt to tidy up and several bits will go missing.

Thanks very much JLP :) Once you've started you've got to continue. It's a consideration though. Believe me, I dithered.

On 20/08/2022 at 11:22, Hacksawbob said:

We need pics with the badge on! :)

This is all going to happen. Sadly, I've discovered that the rattle I thought was down to the handles is the right side of the speaker plate rubbing on the cab box so I've had to stop whilst I fix this. It is really, really bad without the handle in.

I think I'm just going to counter-sink wood screws through the upright sides of the cab into the thickness of the plate to draw the plate and cab sides together, then paint over the screw heads with the tuff. Looks like someone has epoxied the left side, presumably to fix the same problem over there at some point.

Once you start, it never ends. Fml :D

Edited by D0gS0litud3

So, here's the fix to the buzzing panel. I counter-sunk 7 black drywall screws into the midline of the speaker plate. This was overkill as a couple seemed to firm things up nicely but I'm damned if I want to be buggering about with this again.

When I've got some time I'll bury these under some tuff cab.

Bit of foam gym matting going under that amp as well (and think there's a plectrum that's snuck in there- I'll fish that out later) and we'll be good for a buzz-free rehearsal tomorrow I reckon.

Almost there!

»

906514485_JPEGimage7.thumb.jpeg.cff08ef9e7c83012bc5f8f8709791cbf.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Handles:

I started out thinking about getting some bicycle bar wrap but I thought that might actually look a bit ugly. So I started looking at tool and knife handle wrapping videos and I bought some paracord so I could try it.

I really didn't think this would work, especially as the handle is constrained on both sides but I was wrong. 3.5 metres of paracord per handle and about 10 minutes each side and this simple method has produced something quite stylish and comfortable. I'll be interested to see how it holds up. 

If the simple spiral wrap gets loose I may even try a bi-colour wrap with some more complex knots in it.

Really pleased with this (although not with the scratch I managed to put in the paint :D ). 

PHOTO-2022-09-14-14-41-13.jpg

On 14/09/2022 at 08:55, Bassybert said:

Tartke 😂

Looks fantastic, just goes to show if you love a piece of gear there's plenty of ways to keep it looking fresh.

Thanks Bert. It sounds better too... because as I was giving it a bit of care I paid attention to other niggles I might have ignored otherwise.