Why become a member? ×

DIY wrapping an old Hartke 4x10 with tolex or similar

Planning to wrap this old cab. Mammoth wool is almost falling off on its own so I'd like to source some materials and get it looking nice for the gigging season.

Any recommendations for UK materials for this out there?

It's only an old Hartke but it is plywood and it sounds great. 

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

IMG_4661.thumb.JPG.314df27ad7ac9919e32b6a61487357cc.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

A nice navy blue tolex to match the head?

Not a bad shout at all Andy- and one I have had myself.

I was thinking maybe a very light blue (Mojotone do a nice one) as this would pop onstage, wouldn't clash with the cab exactly and look kind of different on a massive cab. Allparts UK are out of this colour though so maybe I'll just be sensible and go for matchy-matchy. Thanks for your input :)

Edit: I'm hugely limited to what Allparts or Solsound eBay in the UK can supply and they don't have any navy blue at the moment either.

Edited by D0gS0litud3

55 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Try fabric sellers like Abakhan.

I got some beautiful burgundy vinyl from them to cover a cab.

Very reasonable as well and great quality.

Thanks!

I did look at Abakhan online but I've heard stories of leatherette that stretches or splits as you're covering and without going there and actually getting a feel for it I didn't feel I'd know.

Did you just buy it blind? 

1 hour ago, D0gS0litud3 said:

Thanks!

I did look at Abakhan online but I've heard stories of leatherette that stretches or splits as you're covering and without going there and actually getting a feel for it I didn't feel I'd know.

Did you just buy it blind? 

Sort of.

There used to be an Abakhan branch locally and I went there first, hi but they didn't have any colours I wanted so I made a note of the type of vinyl I wanted and ordered online in the shade I wanted. When it came it was actually better quality than they had in the shop.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2022 at 11:51, BassBunny said:

Sort of.

There used to be an Abakhan branch locally and I went there first, hi but they didn't have any colours I wanted so I made a note of the type of vinyl I wanted and ordered online in the shade I wanted. When it came it was actually better quality than they had in the shop.

Have you got a pic of how it turned out? I'd be interested to see this. Cheers!

2 hours ago, D0gS0litud3 said:

Have you got a pic of how it turned out? I'd be interested to see this. Cheers!

I'll have a look and see if I've any pics. It turned out really well. I was very pleased with the end result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I'd sand and lacquer it, then stick the corner guards back on. 😃

Also not a bad shout tbh Crusoe and something I've also considered.

I mean, it looks hugely better with the fur off.

I am in a place of safety with a working cab that looks better than it did so I should just go with that. But I just know I'm going to do it, no matter how stupid and annoying it's going to be. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/06/2022 at 09:16, casapete said:

I admire your wanting to cover the cab, but must admit I’d go for an easier / cheaper option - paint it 

with Tuff Cab using a roller for the best finish. Hardwearing and easy to keep it looking tidy.

Well, it's funny you should say this Casapete. Today is the first day I got just too bored and annoyed with the lack of choice in UK tolex and the sheer expense to continue down that road.

So I called Blue Aran this afternoon to get the coverage data (just under 2kg for 2 coats on a 4x10) and other bits of advice. I am completely confident this is going to go on in one afternoon and come out looking great. Sadly they're short of colours at the moment but I plan to scratch that itch with some detailing.

I have a brother who's also on Basschat who will probably split a 5kg can with me and he's 3D printed a logo for the grille as well.

So, cheers for the suggestions guys. I'll obviously whack some pics up as I go along.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Is Mammoth Wool something different to Rat Fur? Reason I ask is nobody made light work of de-Rat Furring that ever I saw.

I think it is. I'm no expert in furry amp coverings of the 80s & 90s or anything though :D

I checked this before I even considered taking this job on as I'd removed the backplate to mount a Speakon. I could see it bagging around the edges and I could get a hand in behind it. Glue was dry and dusty. 

• 1 month later...

Well, here we are after a few weeks of buggering around in my spare time

Cab is Tuff Cabbed, corners are on and castors refitted. I replaced all the knackered black screws with stainless and I think it looks great.

The grille is actually painted with chameleon metallic flip paint- so it's black gloss on the metal with the flip over the top. You can't really capture this on camera but on this grille you kind of get a purple-to-royal blue metallic which is actually much less garish than it sounds. I really like it: It looks stylish and eye catching.

I'm not going to change much from here- I'll be repainting the handles in gloss black and wrapping the handle bars in blue grip.

Then I'll attach the logo that's been 3D printed for this once it's painted and sanded.

I got a tiny gouge taken out of the tuff cab transporting to rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. I just glued it down and dabbed a bit off tuff cab over it. Good as new.

I expect I would have been really annoyed had this been 150 quids worth of tolex with a tear in it. As it is, I couldn't care less.

Result!

1955863493_JPEGimage6.thumb.jpeg.8af252d23f0e9625bcaf061ab818d48c.jpeg

• Like 10