Why become a member? ×

Working shift's or any other barrier that prevents us joining bands!

4 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

This topic has become shift work focused & that's great, I'm glad I'm not alone but I still wonder if there are other barriers that are stopping people for going for it, confidence, perceived ability, controlling wives/spouses/partners? 🤣

Some of it also comes down to what else you have going on in your life and where you prioritise a band. I did everything I could to make it work and right in the middle of the first decade of that band my wife had twins!

Fortunately Mrs.H is an absolute star and supported me throughout. The only time I had to hang up my bass was when one of the twins was diagnosed with a brain tumour. A good friend of mine stood in for me for a year whilst that was going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this talk of shifts is interesting. I can see where @Supernaut is coming from but that’s really a one size fits all solution. I ran a successful local trio for about five years and both the lead guitarist and I were both train drivers. Yes we can plan our shifts months in advance and if the will is there it’s possible. Bear in mind I was working a four day week as a train driver, in some respects I had more free time than others. With regards deps, I’ve stepped in last minute to do covers gigs and once a complete set of original blues stuff, and we’ve pulled in deps too.

In Supernaut’s defence, it’s really down to the band leader to set the rules. If you’re gigging loads, don’t have too many peers who are good enough to dep and the potential bandmates (who work shifts) don’t have that much going for them to tip the balance then I get that. But we’re not all in the same boat.

• Like 1

A cover band once needed a sub bassist mid gig on new year's eve. The incumbent had girlfriend problems of apparently the highest order and exited leaving the lead guitarist having to take up bass, and failing, badly. This being the biggest gig in the city it would not do so yours truly being sober as a judge in those days volunteered and was gleefully handed the trusty P. Some tunes I knew back to front, others only from the radio, nailed it, who was that masked man?

• Like 1