Why become a member? ×

Small of stature

lee4

Do shortarses have shortarms too?
I admit I'm not vertically challenged nowadays , but I didn't have too much problem playing a full scale bass when I was 11. I wasn't a tall 11 y/o either.
In fact , my other half is 5' 4" and I reckon she could play any of my basses.
Have you tried different strap heights and hand positions etc?

Edited by NickThomas

Hand size is a bigger problem,Ive got mates who dwarf me in height,but Ive got larger hands...My left is 1/4 inch bigger than my right (Goalkeeper).

Most Basses,in perticular vintage,aint balanced very well,head heavy.

What is the biggest gripe...weight?....neck dimensions?.....

[quote name='lee4' post='48474' date='Aug 21 2007, 06:56 PM']As one of lifes shaortarses(5'7")I've had years of trouble finding a truely comfy bass.Anyone else had this problem?Medium scale is NOT the solution![/quote]

Hi Lee,

I'm very shortarsed at 5'2" lol - but I use a full scale Fender Jazz bass, it is slung a little bit low but I have no problems playing it. It's a late 70's very early 80's Jazz with great slim neck (I think it's about 80 or 81 as it's an E number on the headstock and I've placed it around 79 - 82)

Also have other basses including a Warwick Streamer bolt on from 95, a Toby Pro through neck (far east version) and have just ordered a Geddy Lee Jazz.

Not sure if this helps you any

Fraser

Hi Lee

At 5' 6" I suppose I'm vertically challenged but I play both 34" and 35" scale basses. It's the smaller hands that go with the small stature that are the problem. Getting a suitable neck width and thickness is most important. Jazz string spacing at the nut is a must although I've not found too much of problem with different bridges. Strangely enough I don't like flat necks either.

Remember if Suzi Quatro can play a full-size bass then sure as hell you can.

I'd hardly saysomeone of 5'7" was shortarsed - that's about average height I reckon.

Anyway, as a proper shortarse (5'4") I generally find that I prefer smaller bodied basses and jazz-type neck profiles. Scale length isn't an issue.

My main basses are a Sterling and an old Bass Collection bass. I generally find Fenders a bit too big for comfort, the same goes for Stingrays. Warwicks, Spectors etc and anything Japanese are all fine.

[quote name='obbm' post='48726' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:35 AM']Hi Lee

At 5' 6" I suppose I'm vertically challenged but I play both 34" and 35" scale basses. It's the smaller hands that go with the small stature that are the problem. Getting a suitable neck width and thickness is most important. Jazz string spacing at the nut is a must although I've not found too much of problem with different bridges. Strangely enough I don't like flat necks either.

Remember if Suzi Quatro can play a full-size bass then sure as hell you can.[/quote]

+1, except I don't play 35" scale.

A medium scale should help and a short scale even more so. But full scale should be okay as long as the neck is thin. I use a jazz neck on a P body and can comfortably play four frets chromatically with satisfying stretch.

Just try out a few different scales and different nut widths. There'll be something out there perfect for you and it's fun searching.

I remember when I was starting out (and when I wanted to be the best bass player in the world) I would get frustrated that my fingers weren't as long as Stanley Clarke's (ie. longer than legs) because I thought my limited hand stretch would limit my playing.

Well, I no longer want to be the greatest bass player in the world but I've also realised that I was worrying about nothing. I play Warwick 5s without any problem. I prefer a smaller string spacing and thicker neck but that's about it. I can play all 4s without too much difficulty and with 5s I tend to stick to Warwicks. I've never felt the need for a shorter scale bass (although I recently picked one up to throw around the house).

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='48921' date='Aug 22 2007, 01:09 PM']I remember when I was starting out (and when I wanted to be the best bass player in the world) I would get frustrated that my fingers weren't as long as Stanley Clarke's (ie. longer than legs) because I thought my limited hand stretch would limit my playing.

Well, I no longer want to be the greatest bass player in the world but I've also realised that I was worrying about nothing. I play Warwick 5s without any problem. I prefer a smaller string spacing and thicker neck but that's about it. I can play all 4s without too much difficulty and with 5s I tend to stick to Warwicks. I've never felt the need for a shorter scale bass (although I recently picked one up to through around the house).[/quote]
I do'nt want to be the best in the world,but I find that having small hands can limit things,although I recently found that at fully open,the fingers on my left(fretting)hand can stetch an inch further than those on the right.
Oh,I play a Warwick as well.

[quote name='Jambo63' post='48718' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:03 AM']Hi Lee,

I'm very shortarsed at 5'2" lol - but I use a full scale Fender Jazz bass, it is slung a little bit low but I have no problems playing it. It's a late 70's very early 80's Jazz with great slim neck (I think it's about 80 or 81 as it's an E number on the headstock and I've placed it around 79 - 82)

Also have other basses including a Warwick Streamer bolt on from 95, a Toby Pro through neck (far east version) and have just ordered a Geddy Lee Jazz.

Not sure if this helps you any

Fraser[/quote]
I also play my bass slung low.I find there is less strain on my plucking arm.

[quote name='obbm' post='48726' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:35 AM']Hi Lee

Remember if Suzi Quatro can play a full-size bass then sure as hell you can.[/quote]
Its true about smaller hands.I find that I do lots of slides between notes .

[quote name='lee4' post='49171' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:24 PM']I also play my bass slung low.I find there is less strain on my plucking arm.[/quote]

Hmmm... Try it a bit higher, it shouldn't cause any problems with your plucking hand but should make your fretting easier. Do you use correct left hand position (i.e. thumb behind the neck) and pivot?

Rocco Prestia, Flea, Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, come immediately to mind as shorter bass players and there are plenty of ladies that can play circles round me despite being smaller.

I don't think one finger per fret is a great rule in the lower reaches unless you have huge hands and/or v low action and/or very light strings. Better to shift between left hand techniques as the music requires, always aiming for minimal strain.

Alex

I remember Endorka recommending 1-2-4 in the lower 5 frets. I mainly do 1-2-4 all over the place but I do the one finger per fret thing a lot too.

I also keep my bass angled diagonally upwards. It means I can play with less strain in the right and left hand. Still not got my technique "right" though to be honest.

[quote name='The Funk' post='49286' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:19 AM']I also keep my bass angled diagonally upwards. It means I can play with less strain in the right and left hand.[/quote]

Good point!

Pivoting thumb technique is very important if you want to comfortably cover more than three frets without shifting in the lower reaches. Once that became intuitive for me the whole 'stretch' issue became basically irrelevant.

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='49286' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:19 AM']I also keep my bass angled diagonally upwards. It means I can play with less strain in the right and left hand. Still not got my technique "right" though to be honest.[/quote]

It looks cool but I find this uncomfortable. Like my arm is supporting the bass rather than my shoulders. And I'm trying to play, not support a neck.

Size wise (5-7 meself) I find the MM Sterling the most comfortable, balances with a slight upward tilt and the 12th is just in the right place - nice slim neck also. Mine feels a bit heavy though on a long gig. On the other hand a Warwick Thumb gives my arm a stretch session - worth it tho.

[quote name='paul, the' post='49737' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:36 PM']It looks cool but I find this uncomfortable. Like my arm is supporting the bass rather than my shoulders. And I'm trying to play, not support a neck.[/quote]

In that case your bass doesn't balance well and as you say, having to support the neck isn't good for you. Moving the rear strap pin higher up, using a rough backed leather strap, wearing the bass higher, all help with positioning the bass at a nice angle.

Alex