Why become a member? ×

Vintage 70's bass guitar - worth getting it fixed?

Yes - any random piece of wire should go through the slanted hole into the control cavity and then to an earth point like the casing of a tone control - leave some copper wire exposed So that it makes contact with underside of bridge 

this is all do-able 

Edited by Geek99

This neck pickup is completely off-center, no wonder the E string isn't picked up properly! Ideally you should be moving it left (towards the E).

Also, if this is one of those "Artec" gibson-like pickups, then these aren't great to start from and any misalignment will make the string balance worse.

Edited by Badscrew

Thanks @Geek99

I lifted the pickguard and was able to find the wire. It looked like it had fallen into the cavity and wasn't connected to the bridge or the tone controller casing or anything else for that matter, just lying there. Perhaps this is the reason why I get some feedback at times? Anyway, since this wire is sort of short, would I be able to solder it to the closest metal point which is the input jack? Also, I assume that I won't need to solder the ground to the bridge since the bridge's pressure would not allow the wire to move.

PXL_20220330_151754107.thumb.jpg.7c6e43ac541874e778e4f7df0b0833ea.jpg

PXL_20220330_151804833.thumb.jpg.798e489d8f905ba065199dd68b683e8c.jpg

Looking at the pickups, I noticed that not only was the E string not aligned over the pickup, the bridge pickup sloped downward away from the string. Now I was able to loosen the screw and pull the E side toward the strings so it's more level. Hopefully this will create more volume from the E string once I get everything installed.

PXL_20220330_151422873.thumb.jpg.b1f06888c2d83dbd0059a82a257fdf1d.jpg

As for the bridge, the string holes do not line up with the poles at all. Is there a way to sort of angle the end of the string toward the saddle so it will align? I'm assuming once the strings get tuned, they will just become taut and straightened between the saddle and the string hole. Are there bridges that allow you to move the string spacing so you can better place it over the pickup pole?

PXL_20220330_151649278.thumb.jpg.b648ea9e831c7597225d241d726fa22f.jpg

I was thinking something like this...

PXL_20220330_153749711_MP.thumb.jpg.e90201b94926cbb9c7d3296a64cb43fa.jpg

Lastly, when I lifted up the neck pickup, I discovered the guy who installed it put a little foam underneath. I have no idea why this is there. Any ideas why and should I just remove the stryrofoam? I'm not getting along with this mudbucker sound anyway. 

PXL_20220330_154032588.thumb.jpg.f43fd6dce9b698dfca799bebb961d000.jpg

Wow that seems like a lot! I'm very grateful for everyone who's helped me out!

The foam is there to make the height adjustable, it pushes the pickup up and you can vary the height a bit with the screws.

About the bridge: your threaded saddles allow for some lateral adjustments, but don't go too crazy or the string will slip sideways back to the center.

You need to pace your bridge so the strings are nicely centered over the neck first, then place the pickups so they are centered under the strings, then you'll be able to adjust the string spacing _a little bit_

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No I just strip the wire section that’s  under the bridge and spray the strands out - all you need is electrical conductivity. 
you can replace it with a longer piece if you like. 

I use copper shielding tape to stick the under bridge section in place and to give good grounding all over the control cavity 

this is basschat - help is what we do. It’s not like you’re on talkbass here 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You want the bridge to line up with the neck. Presumably the spacing of the holes is entirely appropriate for the width of the neck.

Then you want a pickup that more or less matches the string spacing where it is going to go, not biased to one side as it was. It looks like yours will be ok once centered.

Forget about wrangling the strings at the bridge to match the pickup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Geek99 said:

No I just strip the wire section that’s  under the bridge and spray the strands out - all you need is electrical conductivity. 
you can replace it with a longer piece if you like. 

I use copper shielding tape to stick the under bridge section in place and to give good grounding all over the control cavity 

this is basschat - help is what we do. It’s not like you’re on talkbass here 

Sorry I don't quite understand. Should I only connect the wire to the underside of the bridge or so I also need to connect the other side to the tone control?

9 minutes ago, dajaphonics said:

Sorry I don't quite understand. Should I only connect the wire to the underside of the bridge or so I also need to connect the other side to the tone control?

This wire is to electrically connect the bridge (and thus the strings...) to earth, to reduce buzzing from radio interference. It doesn't need to be soldered to the underside of the bridge, as the bridge being screwed down will hold it in place. A length of the plastic sheathing should be stripped away, to allow contact between the bridge metal and the copper wire inside.
The other end of the wire has to be connected to earth in some way. One common method is to solder this end to the casing of a potentiometer. The 'earth' tag on the output jack socket is another option (be sure that it's the earth tag, and not the signal tag, of course...). Sometimes, copper shielding is present in the control cavity; in this case, the bridge wire can be connected to this shielding.
Hope this helps. B|

1 hour ago, dajaphonics said:

No - connect one end to tone control, other end should be stripped back and the exposed copper splayed around under bridge to get the best conductivity (i copper tape it) then screw the bridge down tight 

https://www.bassesbyleo.com/bridge_grounding.html

Hey everyone who's still listening. I just got back from a trip so started looking at my bass again. I really don't think the bridge is suitable for my short scale bass. I just measured the distance between the pole pickups and they're 16mm apart. The holes in the bridge look like they're about 19mm. I think someone on a previous forum years ago thought I had a 17.5mm spaced bridge. 

I've looked at other forums and it looks like some people used Schaler Roller Bridge which works for string spreads ranging from 2-3/32" to 2-1/2" (53.39mm to 63.50mm). You can check the Schaler out here.

Here's my current bridge: Pure Vintage '58 Precision bass bridge

On a positive note, I did my first successful solder today. Thank you again everyone for the help and guidance. 

PXL_20220406_202927968.thumb.jpg.2d6f3e53a4c996d061ba5b8c6d38495f.jpg

PXL_20220406_201225048.thumb.jpg.c42dc57299d3bfd67e118ad37ac3d669.jpgPXL_20220406_202743449.thumb.jpg.12e4a1b2a2aa6b968567269925c815fc.jpg

PXL_20220406_202818709.jpg

Edited by dajaphonics

Thanks @Geek99 Please stay tuned for even more slow slow progress of trying to make an old bass usable again! My first mistake was just trying to copy someone else's bass mod without knowing the exact pickups and bridge that the originals were swapped for. Now at least I'm understanding some key elements of the bass even more. I'll take this as a great learning lesson almost 10 years after I originally bought this bass. It's just one of those things like an unfinished piece of art, it just hovers over your head and taunts me if it's not perfect to me. I realize this will never be "perfect" but I would like to at least like to get some satisfaction of better intonation and no longer having low volume on the e string. A fairly modest goal I feel. 

Also that nut was made by a luthier as the original was broken. I think this one is ok but I guess I wouldn't know for sure. 

• Like 2

You could try using some string or elastic from the machine head, through the nut and align it over the pickup poles then mark the position on the body at the bridge location. This should tell you what the bridge string spacing needs to be. 

19 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

Or math 🤣

I agree, but with maths you can be bad at it and get it wrong. 

You have to be very very bad to physically look at two pieces of stretched out string and get it wrong. 

The maths is simple if you apply the principles of ''similar triangles''.20220409_161552.thumb.jpg.e5647d541e9855cb42e252ad5fbc76b1.jpg

Nut separation

Pickup "

Bridge "

p is nut to pickup distance

b is pickup to bridge saddle distance.

SIDE 1 is difference P-N

yadadayada

similar triangles:

( P-N )÷p = ( B-P )÷b

Solve for B...

B = P + ( P-N)÷p×b

Edited by Downunderwonder