Why become a member? ×

Bass DIY Kits... are they worth it?

glassmoon

Hi all,

I'm looking at a DIY kit on Amazon [LINK], that looks decent enough (as in it's not made from MDF and plywood), albeit shockingly badly worded (it lists 6 strings for a 5 string bass).

Are these kits worth it?  I've no doubt that the pickups and EQ will be shockingly inadequate, but thankfully I have a plan there already.  

My thinking is that if the wood is decent and the neck is not a complete wreck, then upgrading the pickups and slotting in a half-way decent preamp might net me a pretty good bass.

Anyone ever buy one of these and make a go of it?

My thanks in advance... 

Julian

• Like 1

My opinion - I think it entirely depends upon your aim.  If you like the idea of putting together a kit and learning from the experience of how a bass fits together and sets up then, yeah, why not.  If you are simply looking at the end result and getting a half decent bass for £205 to then use as a modding platform, for that money you could buy a Harley Benton (or substitute your favoured budget brand) bass that would almost certainly be a step or two better than this, already made, no need to mod. 

• Like 3

Good luck, but...

With so many better options for someone wanting to have a bass and upgrade it, why bother?

I wouldn't dream of building a bass from a kit, but then again, it's totally unnecessary to even mod a bass, IMO...I have eleven basses and the only thing I needed to do with any of them was put on the proper strings.

Hats off to all those "I can't get no satisfaction" bassists always dreaming of something better and never finding it, but I'm more interested in playing than playing around.

If I feel the need to build something, maybe I'll buy one of these kits.

PhotoCollage_1646225651410.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1

I have a different perspective than the OP. I enjoy tinkering with basses. Learning new skills is never a waste of time. Personally I buy used parts off eBay, here etc as get better quality for the same price as a kit. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

Nice looking bit of wood...

On one hand ya paying for bits ya gonna replace... on the other the £200 is about what my Budget P Bitsa and Budget J Bitsa cost... £60 for a custom body, £50 neck, £10 cheap machines, £30 secondhand quality pups, £30 Kiogen loom.

But i had custom bodies made, rear rout and novel.

You could build a bitsa with a better / more expensive boby £150, Licensed Neck, £150, Quality Machine heads £80, Quality Bridge £60 Pricy Puos £100...

What ya want... in expensive fun and games build expereance £200 go for it!...

You may need another £50 - £100 to get the best out of it, fret level, dress n set up, or have a go yourself.

£150 - £200 end result? Harley Benton S/S Ibby SR500 or Squier...

Or a Quality £500 Bitsa.

If ya got a spate £200 and some hobby time, do it.

After my 2 bitsa's i have commissioned a custom build of a certain style bass from a seller on Ali Express... can't usually get the just thru neck and body to start with. They have been getting good reviews, particukarly for the standard of finish. Might need a fret job n set up... My custom design, madd finished and shipped... £250ish!

I made a Harley Benton kit as a lockdown project.

It actually came out well, fitted withdecent strings, it sounded great. I ended up upgrading bits until only the neck and some screws were original.

Then I got hold of a squier neck and built a second bass from the bits.

The only weak points were the very soft body timber and the pickguard being very far from standard P-bass.

Best bits were the excellent neck and, surprisingly,  the pickup.

Ah, thanks you lot for the terrific insights and ideas.

I just want to qualify why this bass appeals... it is the only Lakland style bass that I have found - as in the MM/J config - but I'd be VERY open to other options.... 

I have a Ray5, which I bunged a Delano pickup and a Seymour Duncan preamp into... and it's my bread n' butter bass.... but I do miss the 2nd (neck) pickup adding the umph, the lower end woomph... 

Sooooooooooo... I guess the question is... for a Lakland style (as in a sorta, kinda, like a P bass body with MM/J pickup config) ... where do I look?

I am not flush with loads of ££££s.... hence the kit route.  if I can build up a decent-enough-to-use-in-public bass over 6 to 12 months, I'm a happy camper :)

Oh, and if Harley Benton had a MM/J bass... I would have a Harley Benton hahahaha

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Get on to em direct...

Might be able to wangle a special-one-off-never-to-be-repeated-deal...

Or just supply the body 'n neck?

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/bass-guitar-kit-sr-5-strings-ebony-7141269435967-en.html

Hey - that's super cool!!!  I will contact them and ask specifically whether I can get the neck without block inlays (which I do not like at all)

Oh - one thing... these bodies are not painted, but I should be able to do a "tung oil" finish, yes?

56 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I had Luthiers Warehouse via ebay them direct do my bodies. then found necks on the bay... but then had to sort the fit...

Body n neck from a kit should fit...

I can vouch for Luthier's Warehouse bodies.

Body 2.jpg

Finished.jpg

• Like 3

As mentioned... Luthiers Warehouse...

Have a look on ebay.. and faceache see if their is anything ya like, or as a basis for a custom job... would also recommend you filter ebay for compleated, then you can see the stuff they have sold and re-order or mod.

Contact em direct on [email protected] for 10% off bay prices.

Ricky Mark and Marc are real helpful

Mention Basschat and my bodies if ya like...

Check out Lamaq Guitars their 'sister'company.

I have no affiliation with LW, just purchased from them.

12 hours ago, glassmoon said:

Oh, and if Harley Benton had a MM/J bass... I would have a Harley Benton hahahaha

They do sell a J/MM, Enhanced series.

Maple or maple/ebony neck, 22 s/steel frets and a Tusq nut. Alder or ash body.  Cream,LPB or natural finish. £250 inc delivery.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mj_4mn_natural.htm

5 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

They do sell a J/MM, Enhanced series.

Maple or maple/ebony neck, 22 s/steel frets and a Tusq nut. Alder or ash body.  Cream,LPB or natural finish. £250 inc delivery.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mj_4mn_natural.htm

Wow - it's been a while since I saw anything new for HB - this is terrific!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

As mentioned... Luthiers Warehouse...

Have a look on ebay.. and faceache see if their is anything ya like, or as a basis for a custom job... would also recommend you filter ebay for compleated, then you can see the stuff they have sold and re-order or mod.

Contact em direct on [email protected] for 10% off bay prices.

Ricky Mark and Marc are real helpful

Mention Basschat and my bodies if ya like...

Check out Lamaq Guitars their 'sister'company.

I have no affiliation with LW, just purchased from them.

I will most definitely look more - I used their online contact form, which blitzed on me - but will email my request :)

One thing I am considering... well... two things really... 

1. I take my existing 2workingman's bass", a Ray5, and change the pickups to a MM/J config - it will require a qualified tech to route.
   The immediate issue I see is that the MM pickup is in the "sweet spot" and thus quite a bit closer to the neck than a traditional "bridge" pickup
   The other is that if I am off by even a millimeter or so, it could radically impact the tone

2. Get my hands on (e.g.) a Cort GB35 and just replace the pickups and EQ
    They are stunningly well made basses, but lack in the pickup/preamp department IMHO (I've owned one before)

Neither of these is technically a DIY build - so it's just playing with gear really... sigh... I have zero DIY skills myself, so this would be a bit of fun with a realistic end goal... but perhaps a bridge too far.

Anyone got a GB35 laying about hahahahaha

There was an XL list kicking about with pickup placement dimensions...

Got a pic of the Ray 5?

Saw a Strat body with a big channel route under the plate so could be fitted SSS SSH HSH HHH!

Can't you 'hog out' a center channel under the guard to allow for what ever pickup's and placement you like? Then plate up after?