Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1973 Precision Bass

ossyrocks

21 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

It did crash after 2008 to an extent. I remember looking at an early 60’s 335 at a show in about 2010. It was priced at £12k, but only a few years before it would have been double that. A lot of people were holding guitars which were worth a lot less than they had in them. I don’t think the 335 market has ever recovered to where it was, even today. But in the last couple of years, prices have been shooting up again, and I just wonder where they might go.

In my experience basses haven't been as volatile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lw. said:

Given the type of music you said you're into, it's got to be flats hasn't it? That way you can keep the Squire for the rounds sound. 

I would suggest flats as well, I used rounds for ages and recently got a P bass (always had p/j's or other basses previously) that came with flats fitted and I swapped the strings for a set of rounds and within a few days I put the flats back on, they just felt and sounded right on the P bass

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 12:49, ossyrocks said:

I see you're in Edinburgh. There's a Precision listed on ebay, with pretty poor pictures, which claims to be a 1970. It looks ok at first glance, but I think you could provide a great service by going to check it out. I thought long and hard about it, but I couldn't justify a full day round trip to see a bass without knowing more. He's open to offers too. Just a thought.

Rob

^That PB I pointed out on eBay earlier, was listed around the £2600 mark, and was listed more than once with no takers. It’s now popped up with Bass Monkey for a whopping £3995. That’s a fair old mark up over the previous ebay price, and certainly indicates that someone has confidence in the direction of travel on prices for vintage basses.

Link: https://www.thebassmonkey.co.uk/basses-1/p/1970-fender-precision-bass-sunburst

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

17 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

^That PB I pointed out on eBay earlier, was listed around the £2600 mark, and was listed more than once with no takers. It’s now popped up with Bass Monkey for a whopping £3995. That’s a fair old mark up over the previous ebay price, and certainly indicates that someone has confidence in the direction of travel on prices for vintage basses.

Link: https://www.thebassmonkey.co.uk/basses-1/p/1970-fender-precision-bass-sunburst

Rob

Dealers increase the markup then consumers buy as an investment. Never ending loop until they only trade hands with collectors.

2 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

What a totally ridiculous price for a 1970 P in this condition. 

I doubt this one is for the collectors as they tend to go for as mint and complete as possible afaik.

It does make me think that mine was a good price now. I bought mine from ATB Guitars about a month ago, he's not renowned for offering bargain guitars, and some would say his prices are fairly high end. Mine is in very good all original condition including a vintage case, and yes it's a '73, not a '70, but it was over a grand and a half cheaper.

5 hours ago, Clarky said:

FYI, the bassmonkey is BC's very own Walshy. Just sayin' folks

Thanks dude.

6 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

What a totally ridiculous price for a 1970 P in this condition. 

I doubt this one is for the collectors as they tend to go for as mint and complete as possible afaik.

As someone else ( a dealer ) who does the very same thing I do, as a side hustle business on Reverb etc..., thats a little rich mate. Prices are what they are, if it doesn't sell then maybe you're right. Yeah it needed some work and its not a case queen. Its a damn fine bass and more of an investment for me and if it sells then great, if not I have a lovely P bass. Anyway @ossyrocksyou have a damn fine bass there and i'm sure the price you paid is irrelevant to everyone bar yourself.

Edited by walshy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Thanks dude.

As someone else ( a dealer ) who does the very same thing I do, as a side hustle business on Reverb etc..., thats a little rich mate. Prices are what they are, if it doesn't sell then maybe you're right. Yeah it needed some work and its not a case queen. Its a damn fine bass and more of an investment for me and if it sells then great, if not I have a lovely P bass. Anyway @ossyrocksyou have a damn fine bass there and i'm sure the price you paid is irrelevant to everyone bar yourself.

Thanks. It is a lovely thing. I'm usually wary of critiquing prices on forums, but I do admit I said the word "whopping", I'll hold my hand up there. But also said "that someone has confidence in the direction of travel on prices for vintage basses". In this respect I agree, I see these things going only in one direction at the moment, and my own vintage guitars are out-performing any money I have in the bank by a country mile that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ossyrocks said:

Thanks. It is a lovely thing. I'm usually wary of critiquing prices on forums, but I do admit I said the word "whopping", I'll hold my hand up there. But also said "that someone has confidence in the direction of travel on prices for vintage basses". In this respect I agree, I see these things going only in one direction at the moment, and my own vintage guitars are out-performing any money I have in the bank by a country mile that's for sure.

Yeah it’s a subject that can always go either way and it wasn’t a dig at you mate but some others should know better 🙄

I agree cash in the bank is doing nothing and basses are a decent way/ investment to keep cash moving upwards but more to the point keeping them being used and loved. I play every bass I have and none are stashed under the bed. I’m a collector who sells stuff as are most bassists to be fair😂 I just don’t hide my side hustle, that’s all.

Anyway dude enjoy your killer P bass 🤘

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

It does make me think that mine was a good price now. I bought mine from ATB Guitars about a month ago, he's not renowned for offering bargain guitars, and some would say his prices are fairly high end. Mine is in very good all original condition including a vintage case, and yes it's a '73, not a '70, but it was over a grand and a half cheaper.

Personally wouldn’t mind paying a fair whack more somewhere like ATB guitars just for the peace of mind that you’re getting what is advertised.