Why become a member? ×

Gigbag for larger-bodied basses

velvetkevorkian

I need to get a gigbag that will fit my Conklin 7 string, which is both wider than average and has a much larger top horn than most. In the past I had a generic Ritter gigbag, and the zip barely closed around it.

Requirements:

- Fits a grotesquely oversized bass

- Has symmetrical backpack straps

- Don't mind paying for quality, but I don't need a huge amount of protection (calling it a gigbag is a bit of a misnomer...)

Can anyone recommend something? 

27 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

Thanks folks, an acoustic bass case might be a shout.

@binky_bass do you still have a Conklin Sidewinder ERB? Any gigbag tips?

Estrella.

I came into possession of an estrella gig bag via a deal with @nobodysprefect near on 10 years ago and it VERY happily houses Binky (my 10 string) and my Conklin (8 string) with zero issues.

Excellent bags!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

I have a Tribal Planet gig bag (not made any more) which seems to be larger than average - my Precision disappears into it. I'm not using it so maybe if the bass fits we can work something out.

What's the overall length of the Conklin, the width at the bottom, the length of the body including the top horn and the width at the top?

On 02/02/2022 at 21:45, pete.young said:

I have a Tribal Planet gig bag (not made any more) which seems to be larger than average - my Precision disappears into it. I'm not using it so maybe if the bass fits we can work something out.

What's the overall length of the Conklin, the width at the bottom, the length of the body including the top horn and the width at the top?

Thanks @pete.young, hopefully this makes sense:

conklin.thumb.jpg.98fa227876afcbddf17c8f3d7aa3b2c7.jpg

The length is similar to a regular 4 string, the body is a bit wider but it's the proportions of the top horn that's problematic.

On 29/01/2022 at 22:26, binky_bass said:

Estrella.

I came into possession of an estrella gig bag via a deal with @nobodysprefect near on 10 years ago and it VERY happily houses Binky (my 10 string) and my Conklin (8 string) with zero issues.

Excellent bags!

It turns out that Googling "estrella case" brings back a lot of results for lager -- from what I can gather they used to make bags for Fodera but don't seem to have been active for a few years now.

1 hour ago, velvetkevorkian said:

It turns out that Googling "estrella case" brings back a lot of results for lager -- from what I can gather they used to make bags for Fodera but don't seem to have been active for a few years now.

I think you're right, I've googled them from time to time but found very little other than my own posts about them and another post on TalkBass I think about a red one. 

If you can find one, snap it up! I've had mine in constant use for well over a decade (maybe closer to 13/14 years) and it hasn't even broke a sweat. No fraying, no loose stitching, absolutely nothing! Quite remarkable really...

I just measured my Roksak case and i started with length, and it's 127 cm inside.  Marvellous.  I was given it free of charge by Wunjos when i bought one of the weird shaped  Overwater classics.  Very long bass, and Wunjos tried a few cases and they weren't long enough. 

But just measured the upperhorn approx 50cm up from the bottom and my case is not wide enough at that point.  ( you need 35cm )

Shame Pete's Tribal Planet doesn't fit the bill.  They're the most awesome non solid case i've ever seen.  You can stand  on 'em for cliff's sake.  I still have one.  Shame they no longer make them, as nothing comes close to them in the non solid case bag business

• Thanks 1