Why become a member? ×

Shipping/postage from Europe

NikNik

I sold a high end bass from Belgium to the U.K.

I used FedEx Express and did all the paperwork, but FedEx Express is taking care of the customs clearance, and will help you to create the CN23 and the pro forma invoice.

So it was picked up at my home in the deep South of Belgium on Thursday the 6th of January and delivered on Monday the 10th in Berkshire, so on week days it's a 48 hours delivery.

I don't know how much were the customs duties as it was paid by the recipient.

2 hours ago, NikNik said:

Something already bought, dear boy.

Ooh ooh do tell!
I’ve been in touch with the chaps regarding the Weller fretless you signposted. Be interested in how you get on with your purchase! 
I’ve continued to buy via Thomann and had no issues with delays, but not bought anything over £200.

Anyhoo enjoy your new purchase young man 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Ooh ooh do tell!
I’ve been in touch with the chaps regarding the Weller fretless you signposted. Be interested in how you get on with your purchase! 
I’ve continued to buy via Thomann and had no issues with delays, but not bought anything over £200.

Anyhoo enjoy your new purchase young man 😎

One of their HB Juniors to modd. It's disappeared,  probably stuck in the International hub near Coventry. 

• Sad 1

It’s been OK until now, the rules have recently changed though. From 1st January everything coming over is subject to more checks. There were queues thirty kilometres long on the approach to the channel ports yesterday. I’m guessing this will impact most imports. Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 2

Well, there's been a not untypical courier experience.

10:41 this morning I am notified by both text and email that the guitar is out for delivery. I had it, last night, redirected to a pick-up point since i'd be at work. So I get to the shop, just before 7pm when he closes. No sign of the package. I get home and spend 23 minutes on the 'phone to DHL, who fail to pick up.

Checking the progress just now, I notice that a delivery attempt has been made 5 minutes ago.

Fuc king helll

• Sad 1

This gets better. TF it's a cheapo guitar,  for if I had my usual fiscal investment to worry about I'd be heading to DHL's depot right now!

Got an alert at half nine this morning to say that the guitar was OFD again today. I received no further updates until about thirty minutes ago when I got the attached.

For consideration: the drop-off point was a local one recommended by DHL and whose proprietor I patronise! And he's rejected it!

I have emailed Thomann. This is their hot potato now.

Screenshot_20220114-175254_Gmail.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Bought some MEC pickups, 270 euros total, shipped,  from Warwick Germany on the 7th  Jan.  Parcel arrived 14th Jan.  No fuss no foul

I am cursed when it comes to sending and receiving guitars. Thankfully,  nothing has ever gone missing for good.

• Like 1

So, yesterday I got another email from DH Hell, apologising for the delay. They said they could now deliver either to my home address or another address of my choice. Playing safe, I cleared it with my work and forwarded the details on to DHL.

Today I got an email from Thomann, saying that DHL were delivering guitar to my home address tomorrow!! I forwarded them the correspondence showing the request for guitar to be delivered to my work. Thomann respond with words to the effect of 'Let's hope they don't fk it up!'

Then, a couple of hours ago, I typed the tracking number into the DHL site. Number shows guitar being delivered tomorrow......to the very shop that rejected it on Friday.

You couldn't make this shid up. Thomann apparently furious. I dare not alter anything on the DHL tracking site for fear of fkng things up further. I'm at a loss for words.

Tonight I am going to the drop-off shop and BEG them not to refuse the guitar if DHL attempt to drop it off there again. This is a farce!

• Sad 1

Surely if the shop is a proper DHL drop-off and collection point they should be accepting every parcel? And if they can't do that that they should be replaced with one that will.

I had a similar situation a few years back with UPS. I had a delivery from them that I wasn't aware of, and because of this, I happened to be out when the delivery was attempted. My parcel was taken to the local drop-off shop and a card put through the door stating as much. On going to collect the parcel this drop-off shop turned out to be a good 15 minute walk from my address. When I arrived I was told I couldn't have it because there was no-one there who knew how to work the system. I could see behind the counter a vast number of parcels and packages strewn all over the floor. On my return home I was straight on the phone to UPS customer services telling them in polite but very forceful terms exactly what I thought of their "service". I got a very apologetic lady who said that she would look into the problem and call me back. That was the last I expected to hear from them. So I was pleasantly surprised that about 30 minutes later I did in fact get a call from UPS where they were even more apologetic and said that I would be able to collect my parcel in 2 hours time when the owner of the shop and apparently the only person capable of working the parcel delivery and collection system would be back. UPS stressed that this was very much against their policy which stated that the service should be available at all times during shop opening hours, and that they would be taking action. I was even more pleasantly surprised to discover next time I went past the shop that they were no longer UPS agents. 

So if the delivery is messed up again tomorrow kick up a fuss the DHL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Surely if the shop is a proper DHL drop-off and collection point they should be accepting every parcel? And if they can't do that that they should be replaced with one that will.

I had a similar situation a few years back with UPS. I had a delivery from them that I wasn't aware of, and because of this, I happened to be out when the delivery was attempted. My parcel was taken to the local drop-off shop and a card put through the door stating as much. On going to collect the parcel this drop-off shop turned out to be a good 15 minute walk from my address. When I arrived I was told I couldn't have it because there was no-one there who knew how to work the system. I could see behind the counter a vast number of parcels and packages strewn all over the floor. On my return home I was straight on the phone to UPS customer services telling them in polite but very forceful terms exactly what I thought of their "service". I got a very apologetic lady who said that she would look into the problem and call me back. That was the last I expected to hear from them. So I was pleasantly surprised that about 30 minutes later I did in fact get a call from UPS where they were even more apologetic and said that I would be able to collect my parcel in 2 hours time when the owner of the shop and apparently the only person capable of working the parcel delivery and collection system would be back. UPS stressed that this was very much against their policy which stated that the service should be available at all times during shop opening hours, and that they would be taking action. I was even more pleasantly surprised to discover next time I went past the shop that they were no longer UPS agents. 

So if the delivery is messed up again tomorrow kick up a fuss the DHL.

I think that if Thomann weren't so huge, this issue would take longer to rectify, if at all. DHL cannot afford to fosters off Thomann. 

One mail from DHL says delivery tomorrow (now correctly altered to my work's address) whilst a second, from their 'executive desk' says delivery expect 20th at the latest.

I'd love to know what Thomann are saying to them.

Update from Thomann this morning. They got another communication from DHL. DHL say they're delivering to my home address, despite the second redirect instruction to have it delivered to my work's address. 

The girl I'm dealing with at Thomann is great, and is as much frustrated as I am. We've both agreed to wait until the courier van is loaded and the package is updated on the system this morning.